Winter farming and food preservation

razab

As far as I know, the current game still allows you to farm during winter time (even if it snows). The farming is a bit slower then and I think you harvest a bit less but in principal, the current system allows you to survive for infinite time without leaving your safe house area. You just need to constantly plant a lot of stuff around your safe house.

My suggestion:

Farming during winter shouldn't be possible anymore. This could spice up the late game a little bit since surviving winter might become more difficult if it comes to food supply. Moreover, such a change seems quite realist to me. By a quick web search, I found some sources which state that the main farming season in Kentucky is between May and October. (Not sure if those sources are reliable though. Probably needs some more serious research.)

To compensate for the more difficult farming, I suggest to change the system for food preservation a bit. For example, food preservation by canning and cooking could only require a jar, a jar lid, some water and a cooking pot with water (that would also be close to the real life canning and cooking process). After a jar with food has been consumed, you will receive an empty jar and lid which can be used again. The durability of preserved food could also last a bit longer to give players a fair chance to survive winter with food they preserved.

Edited by razab

• razab changed the title to Winter farming and food preservation