Tried Everything,Want to Play. Refund At Least?

Travisty359

Question

If you want to go through with that you can either contact Desura or email acounts@projectzomboid.com, but we'd much rather try to help you out here. If you would post your specifics there may be other things you can try that weren't on the FAQ.

If you want to go through with that you can either contact Desura or email acounts@projectzomboid.com, but we'd much rather try to help you out here. If you would post your specifics there may be other things you can try that weren't on the FAQ.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name -PC
System Manufacturer SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
System Model RV411/RV511/E3511/S3511
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core i3 CPU       M 380  @ 2.53GHz, 2533 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 02PA.M003.20110107.XW, 1/7/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name 
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.80 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.80 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.60 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.47 GB
Page File Space 3.80 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

((Is that what you needed to know?))

I'd really rather play the game then get a refund, the money isn't that big of a deal, but I'd rather not pay eight bucks for a game I WANT to play and not be able to.

Have you tried the safemode (or compatibility mode) version? It looks like you should be running the 64-bit version but I'd try both just in case.

Edit: I see you said you tried the stuff on the FAQ but just wanted to be sure. Also, it should be giving a crash log that can be found in the c:/username/Project Zomboid folder.

Have you tried the safemode (or compatibility mode) version? It looks like you should be running the 64-bit version but I'd try both just in case.

Edit: I see you said you tried the stuff on the FAQ but just wanted to be sure. Also, it should be giving a crash log that can be found in the c:/username/Project Zomboid folder.

I've used Compatibility mode. I've tried 64 bit but it doesn't start up at all when I try to use it. So I always use 32-bit. I just looked for the Crashlog and there isn't one.

I've used Compatibility mode. I've tried 64 bit but it doesn't start up at all when I try to use it. So I always use 32-bit. I just looked for the Crashlog and there isn't one.

I also found this if this helps any.. f1fngn.png

Naw the "unknown Windows version" thing is a known thingummit that shouldn't really affect anything.

Beyond this I'm a little worthless as I'm actually a Mac guy and we have different bugs and different ways of dealing with them. Hopefully one of my Windows compatriots can hop in and give a hand with trying to sort things out. In almost all cases we get it figured out for people.

Naw the "unknown Windows version" thing is a known thingummit that shouldn't really affect anything.

Beyond this I'm a little worthless as I'm actually a Mac guy and we have different bugs and different ways of dealing with them. Hopefully one of my Windows compatriots can hop in and give a hand with trying to sort things out. In almost all cases we get it figured out for people.

Thanks for trying anyway!

Why does it say you've got a video driver for Win XP when you're running Windows 7?

Please update your video drivers as stated on the FAQ. Ideally, don't update them via Windows Update but via the intel site.

Edit: Didn't see EG's post.

Chances are that it's very, very necessary to update your graphics card  . . . seeing as how you seem to have an XP one installed on Windows 7.

I've tried to update it, I've gone on the Intel and it tells me to go to my system's website to download it, but I can't seem to find it. I'm not THAT tech savvy, can anyone here help?

Edit: Sorry for the late reply, I was at work as Geek Squad.

You can force a more recent, generic driver, if necessary. How to do this . . . someone else will remember for me, surely? :oops: I take it this is a rather old laptop?

Mind posting the graphics portion of the dxdiag?

Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: Intel® HD Graphics
       Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
          Chip type: Intel® HD Graphics (Core i3)
           DAC type: Internal
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_C581144D&REV_02
     Display Memory: 1696 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
      Shared Memory: 1632 MB
       Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
       Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: unknown
         Monitor Id: SEC5441
        Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.003Hz)
        Output Type: Internal
        Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32
Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.2202 (English)
     Driver Version: 8.15.10.2202
        DDI Version: 10
       Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
  Driver Attributes: Final Retail
   Driver Date/Size: 8/25/2010 14:36:00, 6547968 bytes
        WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: 
  Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-4306-11CF-677F-8BE5A2C2C535}
          Vendor ID: 0x8086
          Device ID: 0x0046
          SubSys ID: 0xC581144D
        Revision ID: 0x0002
 Driver Strong Name: oem5.inf:Intel.Mfg.NTamd64:iILKM0:8.15.10.2202:pci\ven_8086&dev_0046&subsys_c581144d
     Rank Of Driver: 00E60001
        Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_B ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_B ModeVC1_C 
   Deinterlace Caps: {BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering 
                     {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch 
                     {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend 
                     {BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering 
                     {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch 
                     {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend 
                     {BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering 
                     {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch 
                     {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend 
                     {BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering 
                     {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch 
                     {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend 
                     {BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering 
                     {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch 
                     {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend 
                     {BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering 
                     {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch 
                     {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend 
                     {BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering 
                     {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch 
                     {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend 
                     {BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering 
                     {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch 
                     {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend 
       D3D9 Overlay: Supported
            DXVA-HD: Supported
       DDraw Status: Enabled
         D3D Status: Enabled
         AGP Status: Enabled

((IS that what you needed?))

Try following this link and just following the on-screen instructions, there should be a direct link to download the newest driver (unless you already tried this? Not sure why there wouldn't be a download link).

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics

I all ready tried, and got this: 

Product Detected Intel® HD Graphics Current Driver Installed 8.15.10.2202 A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

Like I said, I tried updating it.

It does seem odd that the error mentions "XP", although looking at your DXDiag, it does appear you're using the latest driver from your manufacturer, (Samsung by the looks?)

It's a real pain when computer manufacturers use a custom driver, and not the "generic" Intel ones, as they're often quite out of date. It wouldn't hurt to try re-downloading the latest available for your particular laptop, and reinstalling the driver, making sure it's the actual Windows 7 64bit driver, (I think you're running 64bit?):

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/model/NP-RV411-A07HK-downloads

Also, there's an article on the Intel site for when you get the "A Customized computer...." message, and there is a workaround method you might be able to try, but just be aware of the risks:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-022355.htm

As far as the 64bit compatibility - I'd suspect it doesn't work as you may not have 64bit java installed, (you can have both 32bit or 64bit installed when running Windows 7 64bit). If you did want to see what the error is, try downloading the batch files I've linked to, save them to your main PZ directory, and then run either the PZ32bit or PZ64bit batch files, and the console should stay open if/when the game crashes etc:

PZ-BatFiles.zip (720 Bytes)
https://mega.co.nz/#!8shiyQ7L!YFBe_WbMH-xKh84lHSk6NjRH2gp9UYcsU50vbSpeqsM

It does seem odd that the error mentions "XP", although looking at your DXDiag, it does appear you're using the latest driver from your manufacturer, (Samsung by the looks?)

It's a real pain when computer manufacturers use a custom driver, and not the "generic" Intel ones, as they're often quite out of date. It wouldn't hurt to try re-downloading the latest available for your particular laptop, and reinstalling the driver, making sure it's the actual Windows 7 64bit driver, (I think you're running 64bit?):

Also, there's an article on the Intel site for when you get the "A Customized computer...." message, and there is a workaround method you might be able to try, but just be aware of the risks:

As far as the 64bit compatibility - I'd suspect it doesn't work as you may not have 64bit java installed, (you can have both 32bit or 64bit installed when running Windows 7 64bit). If you did want to see what the error is, try downloading the batch files I've linked to, save them to your main PZ directory, and then run either the PZ32bit or PZ64bit batch files, and the console should stay open if/when the game crashes etc:

Tried the first part, going to restart computer and try it. We'll see if it works

Tried the first part, going to restart computer and try it. We'll see if it works

I downloaded the Batch Files and put them in the main folder, with the Last Stand Folder and Options.bin stuff. Am I supposed to run the game, then the Batch. Or run the Batch then the game. Or Just run the Batch? I ran just the Batch and I got ERROR: Could not find or load Main Class Zombie.gamestates.MainScreenState

The batch files should go in the same folder as the main Project Zomboid executable, eg: c:\Project Zomboid\BATCH_FILES_HERE

or : C:\Program Files (x86)\Desura\Common\Project Zomboid\BATCH_FILES_HERE etc

Then, you just run the batch file to start the game...

Just a note, I also run windows 7. When I had to update my drivers I couldn't just follow a link or hit an update button. 

You need to follow a specific process, where you take out the old drivers and download and install the brand new version of the driver for your Windows 7

I honestly don't know why it has to be this long winded but it wont work otherwise. You will get a message when you try to hit the update button on the device manager, saying you have the up to date version. This is not always correct as it may not be up to date. 

Warning: Always create a restore point before attempting to do anything to your computer! That way you can boot in and roll back your machine. 

The best way to update this is take the name of your driver (usually the display adapter section on device manager, please verify this as correct before attempting this) and put it into Google and add the words "latest update drivers" to it, find the website, go onto it and locate the same name in the driver list. Make sure your website is the official Microsoft one etc. 

Then go to their download link and follow their instructions to update to the newest version. 

Hope this helps you, it took me a while to work it out when I updated my W7. 

Good luck. 

Update: I've got it to run in 64-Bit. But it still crashes, same problem.

As in, you get that message about the display driver crashing? After updating/re-installing the driver from the Samsung site, does the error still say something about XP drivers?

Only other option I can suggest is the "install "generic" Intel drivers" solution, which you could try as long as you're aware of the potential risks...

Just a note, I also run windows 7. When I had to update my drivers I couldn't just follow a link or hit an update button. 

You need to follow a specific process, where you take out the old drivers and download and install the brand new version of the driver for your Windows 7

I honestly don't know why it has to be this long winded but it wont work otherwise. You will get a message when you try to hit the update button on the device manager, saying you have the up to date version. This is not always correct as it may not be up to date. 

Warning: Always create a restore point before attempting to do anything to your computer! That way you can boot in and roll back your machine. 

The best way to update this is take the name of your driver (usually the display adapter section on device manager, please verify this as correct before attempting this) and put it into Google and add the words "latest update drivers" to it, find the website, go onto it and locate the same name in the driver list. Make sure your website is the official Microsoft one etc. 

Then go to their download link and follow their instructions to update to the newest version. 

Hope this helps you, it took me a while to work it out when I updated my W7. 

Good luck. 

I'm going to update the driver one last time. Then try it again. If it doesn't work and no one can think of anything else to help by tomorrow, I'm most likely going to give up and just try and get a refund. And try it again later, when it gets off testing, which should be around the same time I buy my new Gaming Desktop.