water barrels are nice but..

darthdraken

I'm all for it & I could do it.... BUT..... I'm a qualified welder/fabricator (called a "boilermaker" in Australia... Certificate III in Engineering) & people in this forum seem to think that fabricating is too hard for the average joe :P

At the end of the day I think the current water barrel system is a happy medium between realism & playability..... PZ is a "realistic" RPG not a survival simulator.....

I'll add an alternative thought to your post though.... What about survival skills? Drinking from leaves while it's raining or gathering condensation, for example.... There's probably a word for it but I'm no survivalist, just spitballing ideas :)

Would like many more ways to collect water.  Would be awesome setting up a massive water collection system using gutters.

What about survival skills? Drinking from leaves while it's raining or gathering condensation, for example.... There's probably a word for it but I'm no survivalist, just spitballing ideas 

Discussed a bit in the thread about filling up bathtubs, will add some stuff from my survival guide at a later date.

With a reasonably evenly distributed 1200 millimeters precipitation each year in Kentucky, you don't really need survival skills to gather water. Setting buckets and pans outside when it rains + a means to store a couple of weeks worth of water is all you really need. With a bit of common sense you could probably easily gather more water then you would ever need. 

We should be able to use shovels  and tarps to make water pits with water that tastes like dirt, and it lowers unhappiness and becomes worse over time. Plus, who doesn't like sitting in pits full of rainwater that you should be drinking instead of dirtying?

With the items atm in the game you would be able do dig and build a well :) we got a shovel to dig, planks and concrete materials to build solid walls for it, maybe with bricks later in the game it would be more realistic to do so :)

I would not undertake it.  If you have multiple people, then you have a safety net.  If something goes wrong they can attempt a rescue.  Alone you might just be digging your own grave.  If the walls collapse your doomed.

With the items atm in the game you would be able do dig and build a well :) we got a shovel to dig, planks and concrete materials to build solid walls for it, maybe with bricks later in the game it would be more realistic to do so :)

I would not undertake it.  If you have multiple people, then you have a safety net.  If something goes wrong they can attempt a rescue.  Alone you might just be digging your own grave.  If the walls collapse your doomed.

You're 100% right, but that makes it all the more fun. the game is mainly about taking risks after all They can even connect it to the construction skill. Digging a well at skill 0 is basically an elaborate way to commit suicide with, say, a 95% change you kill yourself in the process, while at skill 5 it's still risky but doable with a 20% of killing yourself. And when NPC's are added, they can of course attempt a recue