The Apocalypse is not BORING!

Sugar

Geez It sure would be great if my character would stop getting BORED so easily! The Apocalypse would not be BORING, if at all:/ I myself do not get BORED from; Organizing my belongings, preparing a meal, Exercising, Smashing Zombie brains Ect.... The list could go on honey, Sugar does not get bored! at least implement a setting for this mediocre moodle. Plz be a Doll an FIX this, 10 years now and this is my biggest headache. but otherwise i LOVE this game, and i LOVE Indiestone for the MASTERPIECE they have brought to humanity! Thx for it all XOXO Muaaa;) 

You can turn it off with the mod "cheat menu" if you're playing singleplayer. Don't know if it's possible in multiplayer, maybe if you're the host.

I do that quite a bit.

I do agree that the boredom moodle pops up when it has no business doing so. For example when sneaking around a bunch of zombies that would rip you apart the moment they spot you. I don't think boredom would be on your list of emotions at that moment.

While I do think some rebalancing needs to be done on boredom, I doubt TIS would agree.

Perhaps a new perk is in order?

There's a temporary solution in singleplayer, is using the Claustrophobic trait. You gain panic in smallish rooms on Fast Forward x1, unlike on any other speed, where it is overpowered by passive panic reduction (starting from 4-5 months). Basically turns Fast Forward x1 into a "wipe all my boredom" button.

• 2 months later...

Has this always been a thing. I feel like I never noticed it until somewhat recently.

I assume it is a mechanism to combat the tactic of just hiding inside, and slapping on max time lapse. I use a ui mod, and boredom starts accruing the second you walk indoors, or sit in a car, and falls once you head outside.

I'm sure there is a better way to handle this. The rate ate which you wind up hitting max depression as a result of boredom seems a little high at times.

Of course, it could be some infrainfrastructure for some, as of yet, unknown future feature.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 5:25 AM, Papa Juliet Whiskey said:

I assume it is a mechanism to combat the tactic of just hiding inside, and slapping on max time lapse.

Definitely is this, but I agree it should be handled better. There are a lot of holdovers from the primitive stages of the game: Overencumberance basically having no effect, certain food items giving too much/too little hunger/unhappiness, pills having no effect unless taking dozens, farming being too easy, being able to remove bullets/sew up wounds with no first aid, cooking/crafting complex recipes with no skill, being able to stay awake indefinitely, etc etc. It was all just because during the bare bones era of the game, it was more of a grimdark survival action game rather than the realistic zombie survival life sim it's finally shaping up to be.

Devs have announced a Crafting Overhaul, Cooking Overhaul, Farming Overhaul, Health Overhaul, and Psychology Overhaul are all somewhere on the horizon. My guess is that they are just waiting til they do those to rework those features. Build 42 for cooking and crafting. Build 43 for farming and cooking again. Health and Psychology will probably arrive in Build 44 as a precursor to the human NPCs arriving in B45. Either way, I would expect a Psychology Overhaul around 2024 during B44/45.

Hopefully we will see Boredom get reworked to be more realistic. As boredom definitely is a real-world issue even in survival situations. However, while they can correlate being bored doesn't equal a cause of depression. Since Boredom is only be caused by sitting around doing nothing, it really should only cause decrease in mental faculties/physical strength (by way of slight xp loss in certain skills), increase Tiredness, increase Hunger, decrease metabolic rate, and increase Unhappiness to a certain level (definitely not Depressed LOL). That way, if you spend all day indoors doing nothing, you will just become a fat, weak, dull loser that sleeps all day. It would definitely be a fun strat with certain builds, but overall would not be ideal. So it still works to motivate the PC out of the house and into action, without making them suicidally depressed after reading a book for a few hours. All while being more engaging, fair, and realistic :D

On 5/14/2022 at 3:39 AM, TrailerParkThor said:

Definitely is this, but I agree it should be handled better. There are a lot of holdovers from the primitive stages of the game: Overencumberance basically having no effect,

Encumbrance does have effects, if I'm not mistaken.

You lose fatigue much quicker when running or walking. Also, at max encumbrance, you don't regain any fatigue just standing around, like you normal would(same if you are at max tiredness, so I assume the negatives stack in this case.)

@Papa Juliet Whiskeythat's why I said it basically has no effect. The fact that a 90 pound weakling can lift 2 fridges, a microwave, a sledgehammer, 8 giant water bottles, andd 10 boxes of nails; all while carrying a 50 lb bag full of canned goods in one hand and swinging a knife in the other is ridiculous to begin with. The fact that they can do that while only moving a little slower and getting tired quicker is just insanity. It's always been one of the biggest immersion breakers in the game for me. Obviously, inventory needs to be gameified a bit. So I understand why the PC needs to be able to magically carry a bunch of stuff while not holding it in their hands (I've played with Realistic Inventory and Bag Only mods... Fun, but definitely not for casual gamers). However, if they are going to have a realistic Encumberance system, why not make it function realistically.

Carrying a Heavy Load should make the PC much slower than currently, cause much more damage than currently, potentially drop random items on the ground, and put the PC at risk of falling and/or breaking a bone. Obviously, it would scale up as you go higher. That way a Slightly Heavy Load might only cause you some pain, while an Extremely Heavy Load might just break your back right then and there. To balance this out, maybe carrying Heavy Loads could also increase strength, and give you slightly more Carry Weight over time.