Community map project

Cdr.Keen

Hi,

as i remember, there was this huge "map mod" called "mega multi cell map mod" (by Ringod). it was a very huge map, with contend created by many people.

i'm to lazy to map a whole city with its hinterland, but i like to create some building for myself. so will Ringod continue with a new mega "multi cell" map? is there something planned?

edit: http://www.theindiestone.com/community/viewtopic.php%3Ff=29&t=4323.html (original post)

That sounds cool. I have a basic map of a string of islands, I was thinking about making it a highly industrial and crowded city. Meaning skyscrapers and docks, factories, warehouses.

It's nowhere near to complete or playable yet, but if you or anyone else are interested in a "community" project I'd gladly devote some time. Especially if you guys can pitch in with building blueprints and the like.

It's called Gettinghemp by the way. The city.

It is spread over 5 islands, two "large", one "medium" and two "small"

At this stage of overall development my priority is utilities, services and such. Starting off with hospitals, asylums, police stations, fire stations, substations, power stations. These buildings will act as landmarks for the second phase which will be commercial and industrial buildings. Then finally residential and leisure.

Let me know if anyone be interested in 'elpin' :)

P.S. The map focus is fun over realism, I absolutely HATE the sparseness of a rural town like muldraugh, I'd like the map to be modeled much more like the old demo one. Urban-centric.

Edited by Viceroy

How do I post an image so I can share the mock-up of mine?

Either upload a image on a site such as imgur and link it here with the picture option in the reply window or if the picture is a small file click on "More Reply Options" at the bottom right of the reply window then clip/attach the file to the post.

Thanks Zed

The Island is still in very early development but as you can see it is a much more urban expanse than muldraugh. It is also self-contained.

It can be expanded by adding more islands or in fact merely making these bigger. Just as a note though, the map is 25 * 25 cells big (just like muldraugh's raw map). So it is quite large indeed.

Looks great, to be quite honest I like the idea of a city map but this could take quite some time to even finish one small island. Normally I wouldn't mind that but the tools could take a turn later this year if they decide to change the engine up.

yes, both look great. but as you mentioned, time is the big point. so i hope some people will join like the last time. if 20 or more people are delivering blueprints we may get a well filled city in time :)

Guest Viceroy

We could also make a bridge that extends to the mainland for a more rural atmosphere too, my only qualm would be that an island somewhat lessens the "hinterland" effect if I can name it a such.

Looks great, to be quite honest I like the idea of a city map but this could take quite some time to even finish one small island. Normally I wouldn't mind that but the tools could take a turn later this year if they decide to change the engine up.

I agree, but with teamwork we can do amazing things. I have finished the floorplan of the asylum today, working on furnishing now. If someone could work on a huge multi-storey hospital it would be nice too, also perhaps university buildings. Think of any large complexes or groupings found in real life. Like city-hall, malls, fire departments, stock exchange, publishing firms. If we just get the right mix of buildings we can use those as anchors for the rest of the map. such as the residential places and suburbs that are by their nature quite repetitive in construction.

For my asylum I went for a large spread-out and single level one like they used to be.

Think along these lines: http://www.oobject.com/category/insane-asylum-plans/

Feel free to coordinate (or attempt to :P ) with me. Let's start somewhere!

It has 102 regular cells. So it is massive.

Edited by Viceroy

Im bringing the old map back but with an addition to new stuff(buildings,retexture ect) This is what i got so far

Any idea what types of buildings you want me to include/make? besides adding bushes/trees =)..

33voz2u.png

Don't forget the farm deep in the forest ;)

What you mean? The one on the left of this cell?havent done it yet,It could be changed into a prison instead. Or the one that is far away on the east? Im problaly not gonna do that one...This is what i got so far,Anything you want to see in this cell let me know.Im problaly gonna add another town in the middle of the forest  :)

s4x404.png