A Map, but not a mini-map

Desdore

I've heard a lot of complaining about the lack of a mini-map, and I know how easy it is to lose your safe house so I have a suggestion. What if the map is a physical object? You can find a map somewhere, like a convenience store, and you can check it to look at the town. This way, we can have some realism, and also not get really fucking lost. Also, if you have a pen or pencil, you can mark on the map so you have markers! This will make both the people who get really lost, and also the people who want realism happy. If you, my fellow PZ community members, have something to add or don't like this idea, please say something! This is a suggestion for the creators of the game, so we need  to get all view points!

I'm really, really good at getting lost.  I think this is a great idea - maybe having the map in your primary or secondary slot could open a window with a map you can drag around, zoom and draw on.  It wouldn't automatically follow the player or anything like that, you'd still have to get your bearings using landmarks and manually move the map view to whatever you wanted to look at.

Haha! I was about to posting the same thing ;D!! (:

I also found this post http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/285-map/but I feel that it's a bit messy... But some people in the comments suggested the same...

So I don't know, screw them (?)haha

---
I think that in the map should have already have markup some basic places like parks, hospitals and gas station. And it would be nice if you have icons like a House (For the safehouse?¿) a Circle and X (I would use it for houses and buildings that I already loot and nothing is left), and obviously I think (like other people say) obviously you should can write things on the map : P Draw path it will nice too.
And there must be a map for each zone/city/village (When the developers add them)

Here it is....

Map

Rare Item found mostly in houses

Does not show your location

You can zoom in or out and drag around

If you have a pencil you can right click and drag to draw a red line in the map

the map is top down view and has landmarks and roads drawn into it

how bout dat?

• 3 weeks later...

You will not be told where your location is on the map (just like in real life) you will have to figure out where you are based on the terrain.

Nice idea. As for me to make it even more realistic(interesting) you should put in your primary hand (then push key "M") and when you`ll look on it time will pass in regular way. Thats make you defenseless while you mapping and not giving you mini-map option (like old-school RPG map). And for mark places where i am already loot everything usefull usually i put some fork/spoon (or other usless item) near by doorsill. Because crashing doors or windows it`s pretty extrime way to mark the place.Who knows when you`ll need a shelter.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard a lot of complaining about the lack of a mini-map, and I know how easy it is to lose your safe house so I have a suggestion. What if the map is a physical object? You can find a map somewhere, like a convenience store, and you can check it to look at the town. This way, we can have some realism, and also not get really fucking lost. Also, if you have a pen or pencil, you can mark on the map so you have markers! This will make both the people who get really lost, and also the people who want realism happy. If you, my fellow PZ community members, have something to add or don't like this idea, please say something! This is a suggestion for the creators of the game, so we need  to get all view points!

Something like this would be fantastic. The lack of a map can be a real fun-killer sometimes in the game. I know some folks seam to love not having one but I hate not knowing where anything is and whether I'm running off the map or to a new and interesting area.

Maping the map a findable item would make you have to find it, for a start. Being able to mark the map with a pen/pencil would make it helpful without being too unrealistic, too. As much as I rely on minimaps in most games with big worlds, a real map doesn't have "you are here" flashing on it. Making the player work out where they are on a map rather than just telling them should help those who want hardcore realism over arcade gameplay, and yet allow those of us who really want a map to have one.

It could even be that different maps cover different areas, and you need to find different ones for where you are headed/hidiing out. More complex and IMO not really needed, but it would allow the devs to add maps just for areas they've already created and again make things harder than grabbing one map and knowing where everything is located.

There was a mod a while back that added a very cool HUD map you could add pushpins to and mark with a pencil... but you needed to be carrying the map item first! Something like that in the game would be VERY helpful, especially for new players who have no idea where anything is.

Heck, even a map that is only revealed as you discover areas/clear fog of war would be fine by me... just something to help us get our bearings now that the game world is so wonderfully huge!