Actual Defenses

PandaPentium

The game is lacking in actual defense. Not an opinion it's really a fact at this point. You can make a barbed fence but that's really it. And what good is a barbed fence to zombies...

So my idea is:

- Buildable Barbed Wire barrier

- Like you see the military use

- But it's the same as barbed fence?

- No due to the fact that a wire roll would efficiently slow them down and get them caught in the tangled mess of wire (killing them in game of course, but takes damage upon kills)

- Palisades (wood spikes if you don't know what it is)

- Sharpened wooden logs jutting out of the ground pointed in any direction to put outside your walls

- Zombie runs/walks into it, they take damage potentially killing them and damaging the spike

- Bear Traps

- Snares a zombies leg locking them in place

- Damaging the leg, potentially making them lose said leg, and upon losing said leg they turn into a crawler

- Spear Traps

- Theres a mod for this one already but wanted to put it out there

- just go to the workshop and search "spear trap"

- Spiked Barricade

- You build an object like a barrel with sharpened spears in it

- You place spear barrel thing down

- Zombie walks into sharp bits of the barrel/object

- Zombie's aren't smart so impales head and or body Killing or sticking it in place

- Shotgun trap

- You place a tripwire tied to a shotgun, simple as that

- Something trips said wire, and boom off with their legs

- Tin Can Trip wire

- More for the nomads out there

- Set it up quick and easy around your tent area

- When something hits it, it makes a RINGaDINGaLING sound (Fun Fact: Cans make that EXACT sound)

-  Log Fall

- Tie a log or spiked log on two ropes

- Tie said ropes to a tree or roof

- Hoist that heavy sucker up there and tie it back to get some momentum

- Set up a tripwire

- When something hits tripwire the log falls killing whatever it hits

- Molotov trap

- I don't know how you would realistically set this one up but it came into mind while typing this up so here you go

- Grenade Traps

- You take a grenade OR a jar of gunpowder and pipe bomb or whatever

- You place a tripwire

- Wire gets hit and boom goes the target

- Optionally place under a floor board

- Floor board foot trap

- This one is an oldddd time trap used by soldiers (real life guys)

- You take a bullet

- You place it under a floor board or in a hole in the ground

- You set up a rock or something hard to activate the round underneath the round (round means bullet)

- Something steps on the trap, and blasts into their foot

- Destroys or disables a zombies leg, making a crawler

- Same goes for players on most of these traps

I would do these myself in a mod, but let's face it I am not smart enough to mod.

I just need a trap simple as this one from The Walking Dead, I mean it could be a good start to other traps, It doesn't have to kill zombies I just don't want zombies to gang up on my house just because idk turning on the light is louder then shouting, but they could break if 10+ zombies gets on a single carpentry level 1 trap (more levels more zombies)
the Walking Dead' Will Have Less Guns in the Future

24 minutes ago, The Nine Tailed Fox said:

turning on the light is louder then shouting

Now that you bring it up, why do zombies magically know a light has been turned up when all the windows are covered and all the doors are closed? I have turned the light on in a tiny interior room on the second floor of a huge building, and 10 sec later 5 zombies rush in from outside, directly to that one room.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

Now that you bring it up, why do zombies magically know a light has been turned up when all the windows are covered and all the doors are closed? I have turned the light on in a tiny interior room on the second floor of a huge building, and 10 sec later 5 zombies rush in from outside, directly to that one room.

It's a cheezy mechanic from devs side to kill players, this one PZ youtuber found it and made a video about it, it's truly magic, some time ago I had a great spriners run in Muldraugh I was boarded up in that red brick house with 2 floors,  and while I was going to sleep I turend the light in my room off and on for no reason just before going to bed, then I rememberd that I had some magazines to read because it was still a little bit early to sleep and then 20 in-game minutes later they started coming and soon after my house was surrouned, I was terrified because I have never experienced this with fast shamblers let alone sprinters, since I kill all of them in the neighbourhood before heli comes.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:07 PM, PandaPentium said:

- Palisades (wood spikes if you don't know what it is)

- Sharpened wooden logs jutting out of the ground pointed in any direction to put outside your walls

- Zombie runs/walks into it, they take damage potentially killing them and damaging the spike

- Bear Traps

- Snares a zombies leg locking them in place

- Damaging the leg, potentially making them lose said leg, and upon losing said leg they turn into a crawler

- Spear Traps

- Theres a mod for this one already but wanted to put it out there

- just go to the workshop and search "spear trap"

- Spiked Barricade

- You build an object like a barrel with sharpened spears in it

- You place spear barrel thing down

- Zombie walks into sharp bits of the barrel/object

- Zombie's aren't smart so impales head and or body Killing or sticking it in place

- Grenade Traps

- You take a grenade OR a jar of gunpowder and pipe bomb or whatever

- You place a tripwire

- Wire gets hit and boom goes the target

- Optionally place under a floor board

I support these. I don't feel like the others really fit in with the game, just my opinion.

Just throwing some ideas around below.

The only trap that should be able to kill zombies though would be the grenade traps. Or spear traps with a low chance to kill. Most of them should just immobilize/cripple or damage zombies(easier to kill after walking into trap). All of the traps should have a chance to kill players as you don't need to break through their skull for them to die.

I think the player should be able to jump over spear traps when running/sprinting and if they trip they either die or get lethally injured, depending on how many spears are in it. Player walking into one should trip them into it with the same damage.

As for empty spear traps the player should be able to both jump and walk over them. If they trip when jumping they fall over with a moderate chance for a list of situation appropriate injuries, like sprained ankles or fractures, falling on your face etc. If the player walks over the trap it should just slow them down, possibly with the player having the "walking through dense forest" animation. (Potential for park ranger profession to walk faster through them.)

And if the player is already standing/walking on the trap and then starts running it would just be a slower running animation with a moderate chance for the player to trip, with a low chance instead of moderate of the same kind of injuries listed above. This part might be implausible from a coding perspective, IDK.

• 1 month later...

I like the idea of adding spike/spear traps. You can craft spears, why not attach them to a fence? Sharpened logs and tree limbs have long been used as a combination offence and defense . I like to refer to these things as active defenses, where passive defenses would be walls or other such barriers. 

Some traps I find somewhat over the edge, like a shotgun-trap for example - why would I build some complicated and hidden mechanism to slow down a zombie if I could just setup a (cheaper) trap in plain sight? 

The different spear traps on the other hand I'd find very realistic and simple enough to build that actually everyone would setup such things around a permanent hideout or in places where crowds tend to gather.