How to draw maps for the PZ Mapping tools

Suomiboi

The colors for DARK GREEN are wrong

they are (90,100,35)

not(90,100,65)

Please put even more detail in this landscape section and make tutorials about buildings ect...

Also about sizing the sidewalks and buildings in accordance to real life sizes, maybe some more info on how to deal with the layers in paint.net?

Can you save the other layers as a separate file?

I love what you have written so far :)

The colors for DARK GREEN are wrong

they are (90,100,35)

not(90,100,65)

Please put even more detail in this landscape section and make tutorials about buildings ect...

Also about sizing the sidewalks and buildings in accordance to real life sizes, maybe some more info on how to deal with the layers in paint.net?

Can you save the other layers as a separate file?

I love what you have written so far :)

You are correct on the green! Fixed that. Thanks!

I don't really have the time to update this at the moment and I'd probably have to rewrite most of it anyways. As I said in the OP, Thuztor's tutorial is much more comprehensive, even though it isn't a step by step type tutorial. I think you should get well on your way with this tutorial and then move on to his. If you get any questions I'm happy to try and answer them.

Also search the forums when you find yourself with a problem. The tools are pretty straightforward and only a few issues are possible, with most of them answered.

I can't give any help with how to use paint.net as I have never tried it myself. I have no idea how it works. :unsure:

EDIT: I've delved into a bit deeper on my own map making in this post: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/7250-community-project-radcliff-beta-released/?p=110032

• 3 years later...

Right so this tutorial has been incredibly helpful towards helping me design a map for my role play community, however I'm having a slight issue with the quality of the maps when I drag & drop my PNG files into the world editor as displayed below. 

Spoiler

probrtem.thumb.JPG.17e9ce491df59f5b0d956e3645f6fa89.JPG

I've noticed on the right that a far more detailed version of the map appears along with the vegetation and a .tmx file now appeared. Have I missed a step in this process or am I just doing something wrong here?

asdasdasd.JPG

When you do BMP => TMX you get to preview those TMX files which you are previewing to the RIGHT...

The only additional detail in the preview is the vegetation, because that is what the step accomplishes essentially.

Now if you double click the Cell (8,4) on your example it will open up a detailed display of that cell only, and a New Tab will appear at the top next to [The World], [CELL 8,4]

This is where you can navigate to your [Buildings] folder on the far RIGHT and similar to previewing TMX files, you can get previews of any building you have saved before placing them into the cell.

After placing buildings and setting Spawn points, apply the changes by clicking [FILE], [SAVE]... But before this will work correctly, you must tell it where these go. so if you haven't already done so, use the [WRITE SPAWN POINTS] and [WRITE OBJECTS] options to designate where your folder is.... These can both be found conveniently under [GENERATE LOTS].

For my map, they are

here ==> C:\Users\User\Zomboid\mods\OFFSET MAP\media\maps\WORLD_OFFSET\spawnpoints.lua

and here ==> C:\Users\User\Zomboid\mods\OFFSET MAP\media\maps\WORLD_OFFSET\objects.lua

Then going back to [The World] tab, click [FILE], [GENERATE LOTS] and fill in the appropriate info, check boxes, etc.

After reading a Tip about using BUILDINGED as much as possible, I rarely use TILED at all...  I've created entire Cells as a Building. It just seems easier to make changes early on until you get the basics on the map nailed down. If you put as much as you can into your buildings, you can move the entire City Block or Neighborhood along with its roads, alley ways, trees, etc... without having to re-draw every little detail, if you want to move a building.

- The shopping center in the example below is actually saved as 1 Building file.

- The examples on the right are homes I made facing different directions to quickly populate a neighborhood.

EXAMPLE.thumb.jpg.70b3ecb14d570ed602a5926c1c549881.jpg