How to draw maps for the PZ Mapping tools

Suomiboi

Spoiler 

You'll open up to this:

WorldEdEmpty_zps945eba8a.png

After that, on the left side of the screen click the maps tab and search for your whatever.pngs.

Then drag and release whateveryouwant.png on top of tha cells so that it matches the edges.

After you have the map on your screen, to convert the files to .tmx format (for editing in WorldEd and TileZed) click File, BMP to TMX, All cells, then choose the folder you want to use for the project and click OK.

After this again on the right side find the folder you just chose and drag the .tmx files to the corresponding cells:

Spoiler 

HI im new to the game and loving it, for some reason when i try and drag and drop the png map picture i made it wont allow me to drop it, it has a red circle with a line through the name of the png am i doing something wrong any help would be nice thanks

So I think that if you decide to add a new map instead of muldraugh and westpoint, of even if you add another section to the original map, you have to modify/add something to make it work (spawn points for example), I may be be wrong. Also I haven't read the mod section yet...

AFAIK proper support for loading completely new maps isn't in yet, which is why stuff related to doing so isn't very straightforward. Lemmy mentioned loading them as mods or some other similar way will be implemented fairly soon.

You can make completely new maps, just you'd need to put them in the media/maps dir for now.

no i only have the base map made up so far, and im not sure on the size of the file this is all new to me lol, yet i have got a few houses done in the building editor :D so i guess that is a start hehe, but thank you for your advice i will check the size of my file and do you need a veg map as well? I was under the impression that you could maybe place trees ect on the base map in world ed i have looked around for some type of vid on using the tools but have yet found none if there is any type of info ect you could point me to :D

Here's what a basic map needs...

Base format/basic map (the simple map layout of roads and such)

7kuZ1KN.png

Vegetation/plant mapping (determines the amount of grass and trees) 

aOVi3Yy.png

ZedSpawn (spawn rate/population of the zombies determined by the higher white regions)

dn2y2nR.png

Although the last image needs to be a .bmp image not a .png

A single cell in a map is 300 x 300 which is the same size shown above.

It looks like you've shrunk the map to 300x300pixels? Also when starting a new project you've chosen 1x1 cells. To choose more cells go to File-> New and then choose for example 3 width and 3 height. Or you can resize the current world from World->Resize World... and then choose for example the 3 width and 3 height. The example maps I've uploaded should work as is and doesn't need modification to add them to WorldEd.

Hope it helps! :)

EDIT: to clarify the map I've uploaded should be 900x900px so it should cover 3x3cells

Thanks suomiboi.

I shrunk  the maps because they don't showup/work on my editor for some reason when they are 320x320?

And I still can't move the the TMX map file once it made to any part of the editor cells to place it?

Probably something simple I have missed but silly me can't find out what :(

Here a picture  to try show my problems sorry it's not much.

http://imageshack.com/a/img163/7752/ku66.jpg

Thanks.

I think you somehow got a wrong file. The reason a 320x320 isn't working because the map has to be in multipliers of 300. The links in the bottom of the op direct to .png -files which are 900x900px so they should work. Don't use the other images as they are resized and won't likely work. So I'd suggest you open and save the images again from the link and try again. :) Also you can't make the existing map file any larger with the WorldEd.

Thank you yes I was downloading the wrong sizes I now have the correct 900x900 in the editor working fine.

My only problem still is after converting bmp to tmx I can't place or do anything thing with them ?

I can only drag over the top on the original map in the editor but when let go of left mouse button it will not stay.

I am not sure if your meant to click and drag the tmx files or do something else  with them?

This where I am at now and in that picture and hold the tmx file in place with left mouse button.

http://imageshack.com/a/img42/3944/fa09.jpg

Thanks for any advice.

Yea at the time I did the tutorial I didn't know you could just check the box labeled "assign generated maps to the world" , but rather dragged all of the tmx -files into the map one by one. :P

You should really check Thuztor's Mapping guide! It's awesome and a bit more organized and better explains the process.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Make sure you have both the map.jpg and map_veg.jpg (they have to have the same name with _veg on the other) named correctly and in the same folder and have no extra colors in the main map. Then make sure that the map cell/pixel ratio is correct. I'm on my phone atm so I can't double check all the steps. But in my case it's usually one of those.

I did these and still nothing.

I drag the tmx files 1 by 1 and after i drag and drop them nothing changes.

What exactly do you mean by nothing? Are you not able to drag them or you get nothing but grey on the result? Also what I didn't cover here is you can just tick the box that says something like assign cells automatically, when you're doing the BMP TO TMX.

I'll try to get back to you in a few hours. I'm on my phone at work so I'm not of much use atm.

What exactly do you mean by nothing? Are you not able to drag them or you get nothing but grey on the result? Also what I didn't cover here is you can just tick the box that says something like assign cells automatically, when you're doing the BMP TO TMX.

I'll try to get back to you in a few hours. I'm on my phone at work so I'm not of much use atm.

I had to tick display thumbnail images in the world view in preferences, it was unticked by default. 

• 5 months later...

How did you make your _veg map so detailed?

I use the airbrush with the dissolve mode in GIMP for the grains and a single pixel pencil for the paths etc. Then it's just up to how long you want to polish it. Using many layers is great for detail. You can easily see if they add anything you want and then you can just take them away if you don't like them.