Canning Mod

Highlander

Food Canning Mod
 By: Highlander

Nothing is worse than the feeling you get after you grow your own crops only to see them start to rot. It's absolutely devastating when 30+ rot all at once.  Wouldn't it be nice if there was some way to preserve your hard work?  With this simple Canning Mod you're able to put your blood, sweat, and tears into a little jar for later. Don't let all your hard work turn to dust; preserve your efforts!

In version 1.1.0 you have eight new items to can and preserve. “Canning Salt” and “Pectin” have a low spawn rates and are only found in a few places, so we reduced the use per can to make them last longer.  It also made more sense to require “Mason Jars” be filled with water before they can be used to can. The mod is now mod loader ready; just drop it in the mods folder. Feedback and ideas are always welcome.

Future Plans

Version 2.0.0  

• Hand Juicer
  • Watermelon Juice
  • Orange Juice
  • Apple Juice
  • Grape Juice
  • Lemonade
  • Carrot Juice
  • Tomato Juice
  • V8 Juice
  • Strawberry Banana Juice
Version 3.0.0
  • Dehydrating Rack
  • Dried Tomato
  • Dried Potato
  • Dried Strawberry
  • Dried Banana
  • Dried Apple
  • Dried Carrots
  • Corn Nuts
  • Raisins
  • Rat Jerky
  • Beef Jerky
  • Chicken Jerky
  • Zombie Jerky
Change Log:
Version 1.1.0
  • Canning Mod is now mod loader ready
  • Canning process will now requre to fill Mason Jar with water
  • Canning process now uses less Canning Salt & Pectin
  • Shortened Display Names
  • Added Canned Horseradish
  • Added Canned Eggplant
  • Added Canned Peas
  • Added Canned Rat
  • Added Apple Butter
  • Added Grape Jam
  • Added Watermelon Jam
  • Added Orange Jam
  • Bug fixes
Version 1.0.1
  • Bug fixes
  • Code Optimization
Version 1.0.0
  • Initial Release

Thanks, I just released another version it is mod loader ready.

Great now I don't feel bad when installing it :D I've got to live long enough to harvest some crops and loose electricity, it will be hard to make balance suggestions for now as I've got food everywhere ^^

Cool mod, this is really missing from the main game. Having no way to preserve your crops is kind of off putting.

Thanks for the input. I agree with you 100%. That is one of the reasons I decided to make the mod. I had tried the pickling mod. It's a great mod but a little to complex with its recipes. I wanted a simple way to preserve food that didn't take away from game play.

Cool mod, this is really missing from the main game. Having no way to preserve your crops is kind of off putting.

Thanks for the input. I agree with you 100%. That is one of the reasons I decided to make the mod. I had tried the pickling mod. It's a great mod but a little to complex with its recipes. I wanted a simple way to preserve food that didn't take away from game play.

Yeah, I agree with you there. I saw this program on tv once where some people were teaching people in Africa how to preserve produce. It was as simple as boiling eg chopped tomatoes and the mason jars (to disinfect them) and then pour the tomatoes into jar and close it really tight.

I praise this mod for it's simplicity. It makes late game a lot more enjoyable, not having to worry about loosing all the crops you just freshly made. I cri erytim when I watch all my crops die in front of me. Nicely balanced too.

Thanks for your feedback. Keep checking back for the next release there are big plans in the works.

Recipe link seems broken. Mod looks nice, though.

Reading through the files, here's the rundown for others:

New items (1.1.0):

- various canning jars of different sizes

- with water and with foods (including canned rats!)

- salt (20 uses)

- pectin (20 uses)

Recipes:

- X veggies, masonjar with water, salt, kitchen knife

- X fruit, masonjar with water, pectin, kitchen knife

- X can be (large/small) 4/2 or 6/3 or 8/4 depending on veggie/fruit

- X can be 2/1 for rats

- seems like all veggies and fruits have been included

You can find the new items in places you'd expect - kitchens, crates, shelves, stores.

Question/suggestion: does this utilize the cooking skill at all?

Recipe link seems broken. Mod looks nice, though.

Reading through the files, here's the rundown for others:

New items (1.1.0):

- various canning jars of different sizes

- with water and with foods (including canned rats!)

- salt (20 uses)

- pectin (20 uses)

Recipes:

- X veggies, masonjar with water, salt, kitchen knife

- X fruit, masonjar with water, pectin, kitchen knife

- X can be (large/small) 4/2 or 6/3 or 8/4 depending on veggie/fruit

- X can be 2/1 for rats

- seems like all veggies and fruits have been included

You can find the new items in places you'd expect - kitchens, crates, shelves, stores.

Question/suggestion: does this utilize the cooking skill at all?

Recipe linked fixed, I was moving some files around on dropbox and forgot to re-link. Thanks for letting me know. 

An answer to your question about cooking skill is yes. In the current version you do gain exp in cooking for canning. Thanks for feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Love this mod!  Hated growing tons of cabbages just to see 3/4 of them rot.

I did see one "problem" though.  Is anybody else unable to can strawberry jam?  I see it in the image files, but I can't seem to do it and I know I have all of the ingredients. 

Yeah I'm having same problem dnk. So far strawberries have been my 1st and only problem, but I've only canned brocolli and cabbage also so far. I dont know about rest.

EDIT: Found fix for strawberries, go into canning.txt and scroll down till you locate strawberry jam lg and sm. Then change them to the following:

recipe Can Large Strawberry Jam
    {
       Strewberrie=8,
        destroy masonjarlgwater,
        pectin,
        keep KitchenKnife,

Result:strawberrylg,
        Time:500.0,
    }

recipe Can Small Strawberry Jam
    {
        Strewberrie=4,
        destroy masonjarsmwater,
        pectin,
        keep KitchenKnife,

Result:strawberrysm,

Yeah I'm having same problem dnk. So far strawberries have been my 1st and only problem, but I've only canned brocolli and cabbage also so far. I dont know about rest.

EDIT: Found fix for strawberries, go into canning.txt and scroll down till you locate strawberry jam lg and sm. Then change them to the following:

recipe Can Large Strawberry Jam

{

Strewberrie=8,

destroy masonjarlgwater,

pectin,

keep KitchenKnife,

Result:strawberrylg,

}

recipe Can Small Strawberry Jam

{

Strewberrie=4,

destroy masonjarsmwater,

pectin,

keep KitchenKnife,

Result:strawberrysm,

Yeah that fixed it!  Thank you!

I wonder why it needs to be spelled that way?  Seems like it would be inconvenient for modders.

It looks like every other item works fine though.

This is a great mod! I'm a collector/saver in games, I love stockpiles and stockpiling things (for whatever reason). Playing with healthy appetite, I found it was difficult to take any break in farming else I'd be eating canned soup every day; not sustainable! This mod lets me farm intensively while castle constructing, and then put some of that food away for future campaigning without dipping into my chocolate supplies. Its really quite wonderful! 

Bug report: The interaction of cooking skill with the canning mod is a bit wonky.

At level 4 cooking, canned items are much more hunger-reducing than at level 5.

Eg: for small strawberry jam, a level 4 product is 56 hunger reducing or thereabout, whereas lg tomatoes would be -42 at lvl 4, or -30 at lvl 5.  

Its still a great mod! with the new version of PZ slated to be incoming soon, I hope you keep it up to date. 

My only suggestions for extension would be:

1: I hope canned items can be made soup ingredients later

and 

2: I feel like preservation should require heat sterilization. The jars should go into a campfire to cook briefly to go from an unpreserved to preserved state. Because canning is likely to be a batched process, once could make the jars have a reasonably long shelf life (salt) but require cooking to go nonperishable. I also recommend having very long burn times. Because the jars are sealed.

Thanks again!

Cheers

I must be some kind of dummy, because I'm confused about all the versions and builds and whatnot. I'm kind of glad about the modloader, but only one of the three mods I've downloaded actually works with it.

Can someone please just give me a yes or no answer on this one:

Does this mod, in it's current form, work with the current build on Desura?

And can I just stick it in the mod folder and be done with it? I really need it if I intend to survive the winter, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...