Canning Mod

Highlander

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the unlock!

Just wanted to let everyone know how to make this one B27 compliant. It's really rather simple. I know I've missed it, but it just requires moving things around to new folders I think.

Here's a picture of the structure you need. Move the "canning.txt" into "scripts", move all the pictures into "textures", and move the canning.lua into Items (highlighted). That should work. It has for me at least. Not sure if it's MP compliant, but it works for SP at least.

Oh, the 3 parent directory files stay where they are.

Let me know if you have any issues.

canning_zps310bd0ed.jpg

Thanks for the unlock!

Just wanted to let everyone know how to make this one B27 compliant. It's really rather simple. I know I've missed it, but it just requires moving things around to new folders I think.

Here's a picture of the structure you need. Move the "canning.txt" into "scripts", move all the pictures into "textures", and move the canning.lua into Items (highlighted). That should work. It has for me at least. Not sure if it's MP compliant, but it works for SP at least.

Oh, the 3 parent directory files stay where they are.

Let me know if you have any issues.

canning_zps310bd0ed.jpg

Just a quick note for anyone attempting to update this mod on their own.  If the textures for the new items do not show up in game for you, an easy fix is to create a 'client' folder in the 'lua' folder and create a new canning.lua file.  Cut the following from the canning.lua located in the 'server/items' folder and paste into the newly created file:

CanningMod = {}CanningMod.version = "1.1.0";CanningMod.author = "Highlander";CanningMod.modName = "Food Canning Mod"; -- -------------------------------------------------- Functions-- ----------------------------------------------------- Prints out the mod info on startup.function CanningMod.init()print("Mod Loaded: " .. CanningMod.modName .. " by " .. CanningMod.author .. " (v" .. CanningMod.version ..")");end-- -------------------------------------------------- Game hooks-- ------------------------------------------------Events.OnGameBoot.Add(CanningMod.init);

This worked for me...

With Highlanders permission, I am releasing v1.1.1 of this mod.  The following changes/additions have been made:

Ver 1.1.1 - NCrawler 	• Updated the mod to make it PZ Build 27 compatible	• Overrode default berries and added appropriate names	• Added Blackberry Jam	• Added Blueberry Jam	• Added Thimbleberry Jam	• Added Oregon Grape Jam	• Added Gooseberry Jam	• Added Seaberry Jam	• Added Beautyberry Jam	• Added new icons for canning salt and pectin	• Changed method of distributions	• Added completed products to distributions	• Bug fixes

Any questions, bugs, etc. with this version should be directed to me.  You can get this version from the following link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ch42gev9a74vz53/CanningMod_v1.1.1.zip

Good work. I like the new names especially.

Can I add a modmod that adds in jerky for this? I know it's technically a canning mod only (with canned rats...), but it sort of fits in with the purpose. Since meat is becoming more of a long-term, post-electric thing in the game now, it probably should be added into this.

I've basically got the code ready to go, just not tested yet, if that helps sway any opinions... ;)

Also, regarding balance: most recipes seem to require 3-4x as many "calories" as the provide when eaten. Makes farming extremely less efficient, and it doesn't really make sense anyway. Why is a canned/pickled carrot only worth 25% as many calories as a raw or cooked carrot?

Good work. I like the new names especially.

Can I add a modmod that adds in jerky for this? I know it's technically a canning mod only (with canned rats...), but it sort of fits in with the purpose. Since meat is becoming more of a long-term, post-electric thing in the game now, it probably should be added into this.

I've basically got the code ready to go, just not tested yet, if that helps sway any opinions... ;)

Also, regarding balance: most recipes seem to require 3-4x as many "calories" as the provide when eaten. Makes farming extremely less efficient, and it doesn't really make sense anyway. Why is a canned/pickled carrot only worth 25% as many calories as a raw or cooked carrot?

Glad you like it.  :)

As far as adding new stuff, I have no problem with it, I guess ultimately it would be up to Highlander to give his blessing as this is still his mod.

I did not tweak any of the nutritional values in this release as I was mainly focused on the overrides and distros.  I'll take a look at them.

I can't find any jar

Hmm, that's strange.  I find jars all over the place, they are probably a bit too common.  You are either very unlucky or you need to make sure that the mod is activated.  Did you shut the game down and restart it after activating the mod?

I can't find any jar

Hmm, that's strange.  I find jars all over the place, they are probably a bit too common.  You are either very unlucky or you need to make sure that the mod is activated.  Did you shut the game down and restart it after activating the mod?

I made a new game and actually found some but in my current game i can't find any, do i need to loot places i never searched before?

I can't find any jar

I made a new game and actually found some but in my current game i can't find any, do i need to loot places i never searched before?

Ah, yes.  Look in places that you have not looked before and you should start finding them...

I can't find any jar

Ah, yes.  Look in places that you have not looked before and you should start finding them...

Alright thanks :), oh and one more question how do i store the food in the jars after getting them?

I can't find any jar

Alright thanks :), oh and one more question how do i store the food in the jars after getting them?

Well, for canning stuff, vegetables, etc., you'll need canning salt, kitchen knife, mason jar with water and a few of the items you want to 'can'.  Right click on the mason jar and choose 'Can xx'.  For making jams, same as above except replace canning salt with pectin.

I can't find any jar

Well, for canning stuff, vegetables, etc., you'll need canning salt, kitchen knife, mason jar with water and a few of the items you want to 'can'.  Right click on the mason jar and choose 'Can xx'.  For making jams, same as above except replace canning salt with pectin.

So i can't use regular salt?

I can't find any jar

No, the mod, as originally laid out, requires the use of canning salt.

I can't find any jar

No, the mod, as originally laid out, requires the use of canning salt.

Man, i made a trip to a town i never looted before and i still can't find any jar or canning salt :'( finally found one!!! oh man i'm so glad right now, yes!! :D. Oh, and thank you for helping NCrawler i really appreciate it :)

Canned strawberries still need to be fixed in this update.  To fix it, go into the scripts folder and open the canning.txt file.

Replace This:

recipe Can Large Strawberry Jam
    {
        Strawberry=8,
        destroy masonjarlgwater,
        pectin,
        keep KitchenKnife,

Result:strawberrylg,
        Time:500.0,
    }

recipe Can Small Strawberry Jam
    {
        Strawberry=4,
        destroy masonjarsmwater,
        pectin,
        keep KitchenKnife,

Result:strawberrysm,
    }

With This:

{
        Strewberrie=8,
        destroy masonjarlgwater,
        pectin,
        keep KitchenKnife,

}

{
        Strewberrie=4,
        destroy masonjarsmwater,
        pectin,
        keep KitchenKnife,

}

After that, you should be able to can strawberries.

I couldn't figure out how to can food i have : a mason jar (lg) filled with water, a kitchen knife and a tomato but when i right click on the tomato or the jar nothing happens, can someone help me please?

Canned strawberries still need to be fixed in this update.  To fix it, go into the scripts folder and open the canning.txt file.

Replace This:

{

Strawberry=8,

destroy masonjarlgwater,

pectin,

keep KitchenKnife,

}

{

Strawberry=4,

destroy masonjarsmwater,

pectin,

keep KitchenKnife,

}

With This:

{

Strewberrie=8,

destroy masonjarlgwater,

pectin,

keep KitchenKnife,

}

{

Strewberrie=4,

destroy masonjarsmwater,

pectin,

keep KitchenKnife,

}

After that, you should be able to can strawberries.

Thanks, I did not notice the typo.  I'll fix it.

I couldn't figure out how to can food i have : a mason jar (lg) filled with water, a kitchen knife and a tomato but when i right click on the tomato or the jar nothing happens, can someone help me please?

For the large tomato can you will need 6 tomatoes, large mason jar with water, kitchen knife and canning salt.  3 tomatoes for the small jar.

Latest version with typo fix can be downloaded from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zoireo227n6m8uz/CanningMod_v1.1.1a.zip

For the large tomato can you will need 6 tomatoes, large mason jar with water, kitchen knife and canning salt.  3 tomatoes for the small jar.

Do you know where i can find the canning salt and how it looks like? because i found tons of jars but didn't find any canning salt  :huh:

Do you know where i can find the canning salt and how it looks like? because i found tons of jars but didn't find any canning salt  :huh:

You can find it in the same places as jars it is just much more rare.  Grocers has the highest percentage of spawning the supplies.  It looks like this:

AXmjnoU.png

You can find it in the same places as jars it is just much more rare.  Grocers has the highest percentage of spawning the supplies.  It looks like this:

AXmjnoU.png

Thanks man, i'll try to find one, but i still have one question, how much canning salt i need for canning 40-50 tomatoes?

AXmjnoU.png

Thanks man, i'll try to find one, but i still have one question, how much canning salt i need for canning 40-50 tomatoes?

Well, the UseDelta for the salt is .05, so you will get about 20 uses out of a box.  That will let you can about 120 tomatoes with a box.

AXmjnoU.png

Well, the UseDelta for the salt is .05, so you will get about 20 uses out of a box.  That will let you can about 120 tomatoes with a box.

Awesome!, thank you i really appreciate it :D