[ 05/01 - Build 23/26 - SP & MP ] - Drip irrigation farming

Kyun

Last update introduced a huge bug (barrels that are on a loaded square when loading a savegame would reset to 0 water ).

Download the last version which also adds a fertilizer receipe prototype (meant to be used with rotten food) and a ui ajustement.

So sorry if like me, your crops died :(

Last update introduced a huge bug (barrels that are on a loaded square when loading a savegame would reset to 0 water ).

Download the last version which also adds a fertilizer receipe prototype (meant to be used with rotten food) and a ui ajustement.

So sorry if like me, your crops died :(

Where does the recipe to make fertilizer from rotten food appear? If you right-click on the rotten food? Because I don't see anything there - I was holding both rotten cabbage (x10) and rotten broccoli (x8).

Is this something else I can't do anything about until after the next update because I'm on OSX Mavericks?? boohoo...

Well if only part of the mod is working, I wouldn't advise using it, wait for the next build. That being said, I think you need 4 different food sources to have fertilizer. A good way of knowing if receipes work is to use craftHelper (a very nice mod).

Just to keep you in the loop regarding my previous posts, following the advice in this thread (http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4972-no-icons-in-mods/), I have gotten this mod working properly on OSX.

The trick was to copy the mod images from /mods/waterPipes/media/textures/ to /mods/waterPipes/ top level folder,

and then to remove all instances of "/mods/waterPipes/media/textures/" from WaterPipe.lua.

This seemed to add all the sprites and icons necessary and I can now use the mod. Hope I don't have to keep making these changes every time an update comes out!

A few questions though:

the hose only needs to be laid next to a barrel with a connecting piece towards it, in order to make the barrel work properly, right?

The fertilizer I added to a barrel doesn't appear to be used, and the plants don't seem to receive any either - what interval is it meant to dispense at?

Is water dispensed from every section that is on the ground, or only hoses laid on plants squares? If the former is the case, then all hoses without plants on them are wasting water, and this should be taken into account by planting on all hoses. If the latter, no problem.

Many thanks for a cool mod!

Hi, glad you got it working !

Just to keep you in the loop regarding my previous posts, following the advice in this thread (http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4972-no-icons-in-mods/), I have gotten this mod working properly on OSX.

The trick was to copy the mod images from /mods/waterPipes/media/textures/ to /mods/waterPipes/ top level folder,

and then to remove all instances of "/mods/waterPipes/media/textures/" from WaterPipe.lua.

What did you exactly change in waterPipes.lua ? I think it already was "texture_name.png" like in the post you mentioned. The images were not in the root folder, nice find.

A few questions though:

the hose only needs to be laid next to a barrel with a connecting piece towards it, in order to make the barrel work properly, right?

The fertilizer I added to a barrel doesn't appear to be used, and the plants don't seem to receive any either - what interval is it meant to dispense at?

Is water dispensed from every section that is on the ground, or only hoses laid on plants squares? If the former is the case, then all hoses without plants on them are wasting water, and this should be taken into account by planting on all hoses. If the latter, no problem.

Yes you need to have a hose on a square next to a barrel or sink (not on a diagonal) with and end towards it. Hose ends matter, you can't put 2 pipes in parallel on adjacent squares and hope to do "water induction" :D

Water will flow ONLY where you digged and have a hose - even if there is no seed. A hose on the normal ground won't use water. You have to put the hose on the plant square (before of after digging and seeding, doesn't matter).

So if you dig, put a hose and forget to seed, water will flow. I don't check for the plant status to make water flow as my hoses have no AI :D If your plants die, they will still receive water untill you remove them (along with the digged tile).

Water flow every 2 hours and adds 1 water to each plant connected (0.5 water from the barrel). It compensates the farming code which drain 1 water every 2 hours, but not evaporation (0.1 on sunny days for each plant). It could if people have balance suggestions but I'm looking at the water taken from the barrel right now, seems a little high (higher than doing it manually : a can takes 10 water from the barrel and gives 200 units back to plants).

Fertilizer will be used when water flow (every 2 hours) if you have enough water and fertilizer for all plants only (I didn't want people to be caught by the timer when half done pouring fertilizer with not enough water, which would lead to either random fertilizing or none (low concentration)).

After all my attempts to get different mods working as they should in OSX, I have mostly successes but, for some weird reason, I no longer see the garden hose icon appearing in inventory any more! I can still see hoses in the right click menus and when I place them on the ground okay, but that damn icon decided it had had enough and went off somewhere...!

I'm a bit confused about WaterPipe.lua - the original download file has this in it:

function WaterPipe.loadTextures()
    getTexture('WaterPipe.png');
    getTexture('PipeCornerNE.png');
    getTexture('PipeCornerNW.png');
    getTexture('PipeCornerSE.png');
    getTexture('PipeCornerSW.png');
    getTexture('PipeCross.png');
    getTexture('PipeNorth.png');
    getTexture('PipeSE.png');
    getTexture('PipeTN.png');
    getTexture('PipeTS.png');
    getTexture('PipeTE.png');
    getTexture('PipeTW.png');
end

But all the .png files have the naming convention "Item_XXX.png", such as Item_WaterPipe.png.

So wouldn't the following be more correct, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

function WaterPipe.loadTextures()
    getTexture(‘Item_WaterPipe.png');
    getTexture('Item_PipeCornerNE.png');
    getTexture('Item_PipeCornerNW.png');
    getTexture('Item_PipeCornerSE.png');
    getTexture('Item_PipeCornerSW.png');
    getTexture('Item_PipeCross.png');
    getTexture('Item_PipeNorth.png');
    getTexture('Item_PipeSE.png');
    getTexture('Item_PipeTN.png');
    getTexture('Item_PipeTS.png');
    getTexture('Item_PipeTE.png');
    getTexture('Item_PipeTW.png');
end

Anyway, thanks for everything you wrote, it's a lot clearer now!

I have a few further questions about your comments, sorry...

Is it the case that you need to have 1 fertilizer 'token' for each plant in the hose chain in order for any of them to get fertilizer?

What happens if you connect more than one barrel in the same chain, do they behave differently?

Do barrels balance their total water supply between however many barrels are connected together?

The naming is how it is done, but maybe it is an issue with mac os. If it works and the only thing missing is the inventory icon (you have the ground icon) then only temper with "Item_WaterPipe.png"; this is the inventory icon.

About your questions, they are all answered in the OP but i'll answer here too :

1 - Yes you need as much fertilizer as plants because anything else than 1:1 would not be as balanced as vanilla.

I don't fertilize plants if there is not enough fertilizer. I could but if you were pouring 20 units for 20 plants and the function triggered while you're half done, half your plants would be fertilized and the others would not. You would have to do it manually.

So fertilizing happens when you have enough water and fertilizer.

2 - When you connect multiple barrels to the same chain, you have multiple water and fertilizer sources. See them and their pipes as a cluster, an entity with a given amount of water, fertilizer, and water need.

Note : You can connect two clusters with barrels. For example :

- is a pipe

0 is a barrel

---0---0----

|

|

Is one cluster. You don't have to connect each pipe segment to the others. Barrels then behave somewhat differently because :

3 - Yes, water level average over all barrels. If you connect a small one (40 units) with a big one (100 units) you'll loose whatever water over 40 you have in the big one. Water levels are adjusted every in game ten minutes (1 minute in real life I'd say), like rain and such. You get an optimal refill in all situations.

PS : don't use drip irrigation with carrots and radishes; they have a maximum water amount and anything over it will kill them. Since it rains a lot, it is usually best to occasionaly water them.

• 3 weeks later...

Some observations on trying to use this mod with build 23:

1) the garden hose doesn't deplete in quantity as you use it to lay on the ground. I've used one hose to connect all the squares in my garden (that's 50 uses from one 10 use hose).

2) the water barrels connected to the hose don't drain as they are meant when watering plants

3) when adding fertilizer to a barrel, it is not showing in the 'barrel info' window, and the fertilizer is not depleted either.

4) when making fertilizer, you need four different items, you can't use four of the same item

5) water can be removed from water barrels and the ‘barrel info’ updates correctly. But you cannot pour water back in to barrels now.

6) the garden hose icon is still not appearing, it is replaced with a question mark.

7) garbage bags were added to NecroForge in January, since WaterPipes adds them too they now appear twice in NF.

8) evaporation is not reducing the amount of water in barrels, but rain adds water to them as it should.

Overall, this mod seems totally broken in build 23.

Edited by rorschach

• 3 weeks later...

maybe it's just me or maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I can't seem to get the hoses to water my plants. I have a hose leading from my barrel and I can see the sprites and I've places hoses on the ground etc. But they aren't getting water at all.

So far everything is working fine for me with this on build 23.

Although im sure my plants are getting water, ill double check later today.  I know my small bucket is goes through water like crazy, but i have like12 plants i think on that, so that should be right.

EDIT: It does apear the hoses arnt watering the plants. Its removing the water but i waited 1 day, and it apears the plants didnt go up at all.

Do you need to do a intial watering with after planting a seed?

Looks like i gotta get off my ass and read up a few things and do a test bed. heh

EDIT #2: After re re re reading the topic and playing around, the watering does seem to work fine.  If i read your patch notes correctly, it should just keep the water level = to what you originally watered your crops.

For me, everything seems to be working perfectly. Hose has 10 uses and then disappears like it should. I tested with only having one in my inventory and then placing, then a test with 2 hosing and placing 20 pieces and then running out of hose.

The only bug i seem to see right now is game bug that might confuse people into thinking its a bug with the mod.  And that is when you water seeds/put water in a barrel. When use the last part of water , the container will still show its has water in it, BUT if you expand the inventory of said item, it will show a sliver of water in it that is pretty much useless. Its like .01 worth of water or something. The only way to clear the title is of course to dump out the container and the name will go back to normal. I was thinking was a bug myself for awhile until i had a idea and figured it out.  I tested this with the mod and with a clean setup with only necroforge loaded up to make sure it was a game bug.

All we need now is to be able to fill the water barrel with gas and then being able to light it on fire and using it as a wall of flame for home zombie invasions ;)

• 1 month later...

whenever i try to build a barrel,it doesnt show up.like,the menu is there,but when i click "water collection barrel",instead of showing the translucent barrel,it doesnt show anything.any ideas as to whats wrong?

The mod is outdated.

• 2 weeks later...

I think how you load mods in MP is that it will just run what ever mods you had loaded when you previously ran the game in a SP build (I think)

Time to start experimenting!

Am I right in reading that the first time you plant crops you have to water them by hand, then the irrigation will start working? But you must do a hand water first?

I think how you load mods in MP is that it will just run what ever mods you had loaded when you previously ran the game in a SP build (I think)

Time to start experimenting!

Am I right in reading that the first time you plant crops you have to water them by hand, then the irrigation will start working? But you must do a hand water first?

Seems so : Which means you HAVE TO water your plants the first time you plow, otherwise they’ll stay at level 0.

It's not about "starting" the water flow.

The mod adds 1 water to plants every 2 in game hours. Your plants lose 1 water every 2 in game hours. So your plants stay at the same level (not accounting for sunny days). But raining will take care of sunny days.

If you farm stuff that takes up to 100 water, water to 100 first so it stays at 100 or decrease by 0.1 on sunny days.

If you farm stuff that takes up to 65/75 water, water to 65/75 first, etc. Maybe you can farm them indoor ? didn't try it. Rain wouldn't increase the water amount :)

PS : It was really broken ; the rain collector barrel code changed a lot, as did the farming code. The plants could not even be found since introduction of nested lua tables. I'm not even gonna talk about MP :D