How to install non-Workshop Mod on non-Steam Dedicated server

Darthbob2000

I'm testing a mod I've created and I'd like to test it on dedicated mutiplayer server without uploading the mod to the Steam Workshop.  But I can't figure out how.  Anyone know how to install a non-workshop mod on a dedicated server?

I'm assuming I have to run the dedicated server in non-steam mode (but can run in steam mod if needed).

I've installed the mod into these locations, but no luck...

C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\Zomboid\mods

C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\Zomboid\server\mods

E:\Games\Project Zomboid\server\mods

E:\Games\Project Zomboid\mods

E:\Games\Project Zomboid\server\steamapps\workshop\content\108600\12345\mods 

*(tried to mimic the workshop convention, also tried to update the appworkshop_108600.acf file but not sure what the manifest and other timestamp values should be, etc)

I've included the default.txt in all mod locations above.  Have tried different combinations of adding the mod name and workshop ID to the servertest.ini file (sometimes only populating the Mods value but leaving the WorkshopItems value blank).

Any ideas/pointers are much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

For the GOG version of Project Zomboid mods go in the %USERPROFILE%\Zomboid\mods\(mod) folder.

For the Steam Workshop they use ...blah blah...Workshop\MODNAME\Contents\mods\BLAHMOD\media\etc.. as the source of the mod files. When using the mod in GOG version, you only want from BLAHMOD down the tree, and you need to just copy it to the %USERPROFILE%\Zomboid\mods\ folder.

If you are pulling the mod from the Steam Workshop (or using one of those Steam Workshop downloaders) you want the source files under Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\108600\WorkshopID\mods\BLAHMOD  

I've also tested both a Steam linked and non-Steam linked dedicated server configuration (on the same rented server).

See Spar10's post below for details on adding the mod to the configuration file.

Edited by AlexSledge
Replaced ignorance with knowledge from experience gained.

I'm running a dedicated server on linux and adding my own mod to test in multiplayer.  It's is pretty similar to adding the mods to a local game except you have to add the mod in the server config file which is named "servertest.ini" by default in the Zombiod/Server folder.  In the config file look for the line "Mods=" and add your mods there in a comma separated list.

For example in my User profile I have /Zomboid/mods/stTest where my mod ID is stTest.  So if I only want my mod on the server the config line looks like:

Mods = stTest

It is important to note the the mod folder name may be different than the Mod ID.  If your not sure open the mod.info file in the first folder of the mod and look for the line like:

id=stTest

Only add the non-workshop mods to the "Mods=" line.  If you are running a non-steam server you'll have to copy any workshop mods to you /Zomboid/mods folder and list them all by Mod ID on the "Mods=" line as well.

I'm not sure if the Dedicated server on windows uses a different or same Zomboid folder as the user.  On Linux it uses the same Zomboid profile folder in the user home directory.  Some workshop mod packs have two Mod IDs that need to be added to work.

What I usually do is host a game using the game client on Win10 and create my options through the GUI and copy the config files to my Linux server.

Edited by Spar10

• 1 month later...