How will multiplayer "work"?

GrimexReaper

I've been thinking a little about multiplayer, and i just have a few questions about the mechanics and how they will work in a MP game.

-Sleeping. It will be a bit of a nuisance to do a minecraft style "all players must be in beds to sleep", so how will this work? Will your character just never sleep? Will there be alternative times per character?

-Looting. Obviously, once your map is loaded, all the loot loaded with it is permanently there- no respawning, nothing new added, ect... so how will this work when there are a a good dozen people in- game at once. I imagine there will be a big problem for new people to go into a game and find it extremely hard to find basic supplies due to the fact that there aren't any left.

And finally, respawning. Will you be able to respawn into the same world you died in, and somehow find all your gear and possibly your killer? or will you be put in a completely new server and map?

That is all. Keep up the good work TIS and happy PZ'ing everyone.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Sleeping has been talked about in other threads, such as http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1614-sleeping-in-multiplayer/?hl=%2Bmultiplayer+%2Bsleeping

however no-one really knows and it seems to be a point of much debate of what the best idea for it would be.

2. I believe they want to go for a persistent world, so I imagine that would mean once something is looted, it's looted. No respawns. There might be some leeway but I honestly don't know.

3. Same server. It wouldn't make much sense to boot you out of a server and force you to find a new one. Theoretically you could do these things, but I imagine it would be dependant on the rules of the server and how they feel about retribution on respawn. 

good questions, same things i have been wondering about.

i would imagine sleeping could be on a rotating shift, so you always have at least one person in your group awake and watching for bad guys.

The problem is the passage of time though, you don't want the player spending hours sleeping being bored and you don't want them to be able only to sleep a few minutes where the world doesn't advance hours in time (or maybe you do, I don't know.)

Yeah, like i wouldn't want to be waiting for 7 hours to advance without the speed up. Hmm...

good questions, same things i have been wondering about.

i would imagine sleeping could be on a rotating shift, so you always have at least one person in your group awake and watching for bad guys.

The problem is the passage of time though, you don't want the player spending hours sleeping being bored and you don't want them to be able only to sleep a few minutes where the world doesn't advance hours in time (or maybe you do, I don't know.)

Maybe they will make it where you sleep less, like only need to sleep 1 hr in game or so, instead of single-player 9 hours. It wouldn't be fast-forward, you would have to wait. It would make more since than waiting 9 in-game hours.

In which case it depends what speed dilation is set to for the server. If it's real time I doubt people are going to be waiting while they sleep.

You could make it so that as long as you're near a bed, the tired moodlet just resets. Effective way of making sure everyone has a place to sleep.

Be better if you're actually in the bed and the longer your in the bed the more it dictates how much your tired moodlet goes down. However you don't see/hear anything (unless it's loud),

Still IDK, maybe sleep will be disabled? Who knows.

They could do it a la Rust, where you sleep when you log off. That seems to work pretty well from what I've seen.

And what happen if a zombie horde attacks while you're logged out? is your body still there, just unresponsive?

Or maybe you become a NPC while you're out?

They could do it a la Rust, where you sleep when you log off. That seems to work pretty well from what I've seen.

And what happen if a zombie horde attacks while you're logged out? is your body still there, just unresponsive?

It would most likely be a case of you wouldn't exist in the world, but while away you recover from being tired.

It would most likely be a case of you wouldn't exist in the world, but while away you recover from being tired.

But then if you saw an horde you knew you wouldn't survive just... log out?

But then if you saw an horde you knew you wouldn't survive just... log out?

They would probably add an anti-cheat mechanism to stop things like that, like you can only log out when there is no aggro on you. You could then turn off your system, and im afraid that part is uncontrollable.

ANOTHER QUESTION: how will you manage timed events like the power outage? will a player who join the server after those events occurred never be able to experience them?

AND AGAIN: will you prevent griefing? if yes, how? 

ANOTHER ONE: Will zombies respawn forever? Will the players be able to exterminate every one and each of them?

OH GOD NOT ANOTHER ONE: Will it be possible to grow a family and make children to play after your character's inevitable death?

PLEASE STOP: Will single player still be developed or is multiplayer the main focus? If not, how will you manage the mods on the server?

F*CK YOU TERRAZ: What if my character is really f*cking tired but I still want to play and don't want to log off to make it sleep? Do I have to switch server?

SERIOUSLY YOU SHOULD DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT: If logging off makes your character disappear, how will you prevent the possibility to spawn in the middle of a zombie horde when you log back in?

PLEASE ADD A CHARACTER LIMIT TO REPLIES:  How will stashes will be managed? What if I stash all my goodies in one place and someone finds them? (it's not really hard, just follow somebody, if he tries to react just dodge him)

OH MY GOD THE END

ps: sorry if some of those were already answered somewhere (a link to the answer could be helpful) and my poor english, cheers!

IMPORTANT: All that´s posted here is my personal opinion and not a fact, just how I think things will be.

@Terraz: Most of the questions can be answered with: It will be a small MP, so you would normally play with people you know.

1) What exactly is griefing for you? It´s an apocalypse after all so how someone behaves is kinda their thing.

2) Zombies will migrate from the edge of the world and strive to the inner map parts. So no, you can´t kill them all.

3) Don´t know, wouldn´t count on it. Highly unlikely.

4) SP will be the main focus of the game. If SP is like the devs wanted it to be than it will maybe change to a more MP developement.

5) Sleep is a complex thing. Because it won´t be mass-MP (at first) this problem will be minor. All go to bed at the same time. A real solution will be tough to find.

6) Dunno

7) Then this person is hopefully very nice and didn´t steal anything. If he/she does than it´s kinda your problem. It´s survival after (but hopefully in a more friendly way then DayZ is normally).

AND AGAIN: All said above is only my opinion.

Here's my recommendation about the servers. Every one/few month/s the server's should start from the beginning, unless the owner disables that feature. That would solve the looting problem as well as many more. I am thinking they should reset every 2-3 months by default. The first few weeks people will be able to scavenge and build a safehouse, the next few weeks there will still be loot to find but i'll will be rare. At that time the survivors in that server would probably end up uniting in a group were they will work as a team to survive. The last weeks would be the most intense, groups and gangs will start fighting over supplies and fortified buildings. 
What do you guys think?

I'm more curious how survivor congestion will be handles. I mean, hell. Think of it like this:

You get thirty people, and spawn them in various urban areas about the map. Some end in West Point, others in Muldraugh, and a few in more deserted locations. If every single one of those survivors is good (or at least competent) at the game, they'd be able to take back and hold about a two to three block area of each city, all by themselves. There just isn't enough map space to give out to all these people, and it gets even worse when every single one of those cleared zones has likely been barricaded to hell and back, and all the loot's been hoarded.

If we go full-realism and no more items spawn, then there's zero chance for a late-joiner to get a start, especially in a game like this where the first five minutes of a run are the deciding factor of the entire rest of it, even if they can find a way to get inside a cleared zone without getting killed by the survivor that's already there.

I really don't think this is going to be possible without some serious creativity, or changing some pretty core stuff.

regarding the servers, will they be set up and run by TIS, or will we have to sign up for and host our own servers?

and how will the mods work if on a server? i assume only people with the same mods could join your game, as it is in the game i mention below.

(the other main game i play, farming simulator 2013, made us sign up for servers thru hosting companies unless we had an in house server we could run and maintain ourselves.....really, Giants blew that part REALLY bad)