How will multiplayer "work"?

GrimexReaper

Just throwing my idea in here, i'd love it if the multiplayer was like DayZ. the gameplay in pz multiplayer would run like how it is now in single player, but also include massive maps, plenty of places and area's to explore and stuff to find/loot, lots of players, PvP is optional and the ability to loot dead players. if money is ever included into the game for multiplayer purpose, they should include markets around the map to buy & sell things. things like that

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To make it clear: PZ MP will be more akin to Minecraft than any of the above. At least for the foreseeable time after MP is finally in the game, there will only be player run servers. If a server operator decides to have a public server, that's up to them, but with the modding capabilities of the game it will likely be as hack infested as the original DayZ mod was at best. really the sensible way to play PZ multiplayer would be with a whitelist, username and pass per player. PZ will likely be more co-op orientated. PvP or no PvP will be entirely up to the server operator, and therefore up to the player what kind of server they want to play on.

Due to the modding capabilities, it will therefore be possible for the MP to be whatever people want it to be. Want to have support for totally impenetrable containers to store stuff in? Want new players not to be able to kill other players or get into specific ares of the map until they have undergone a probation period vetted by the server operators? There'll be a mod for that hopefully. Think of stuff like CoD4 where there were server mods that tailored the game exactly to the needs for player run tournament rules or something... There'll be no worries about PZ not being what you need from MP because that'll largely be up to you, but in the base game PZ will be at least initially more suitable for co-op with friends, but nothing to forbid those friends breaking off into sub groups and having a turf war.

We also have plans for anti-griefing using the sadistic AI director (again optional) where the AI director will, like a zombie movie director (or writer really) decide that a bad character may need some karma dishing out to them if they go around player killing, and the eye of Sauron will be upon them making their comeuppance more and more likely with more chance of say an undiscovered zombie in the corner of a room or a helicopter screwing their day up. Hopefully this kind of karma policing would go a long way to making people behave and moderate how assholey they want to be. That said we don't want to forbid 'shit happens' anything goes servers for people who do want to play in a more dog eat dog world.

Random public servers without any limit on connecting will likely never be the best of ideas though IMO. The ideal end goal would be a cluster of player run servers, each with their own unique maps built in the tools, with geographic borders connecting those servers, and potentially with some kind of subscription model to help fund the server costs, with the capabilities of trial 'permissions', self policing and banning cheaters or other undesirables, giving the scope of a public server but without the potential for ass-hats ruining it for everyone (for fear of losing their access to the server cluster)

Basically allowing players to run their own EVE style 'universes', and the cream rises to the top. The best policed, biggest and most fun to play on will attract more people, and thus those willing to play by the rules will have the best time and the more choice of servers to be a part of. There would likely be one prestigious player run server community with server ops responsible for their own 'turf', and with extra appointed server mods policing it that everyone wants to be a part of, might take a bit of work to get access to, and people would be too concerned about losing access to it to break the rules, especially if all their friends play on there. Over time more and more server operators may get access to connect their servers to it, and the world size and player count could rise organically until we have an MMO that is completely player run.

All this is obviously far off, but its the ultimate goal we're striving for with the MP.

Will answer these in a 'vanilla' or 'default optionny' way, but an answer to all of them generally will be 'it'll be up to the server operator' due to the modding and/or game options.

> ANOTHER QUESTION: how will you manage timed events like the power outage? will a player who join the server after those events occurred never be able to experience them?

The idea is that the server will continue in time from the moment the world is created indefinitely after that point, until the server operator decides to reset the server and start afresh. This means it'll be tough for new players if elec/water is already off, and the majority of places have been looted. But this is all part of it. If they are in a server a lot of players play on, it will be up to them to try and get into one of the communities that have undoubtedly formed that have farms and perhaps livestock or something to feed themselves. Think season 3-4 of the Walking Dead or 'Land of the Dead' style far future of the apocalypse, which will be an interesting period to play in itself. Things get harder and companionship and community becomes ever more important. This is not a problem but intriguing gameplay in of itself

> AND AGAIN: will you prevent griefing? if yes, how?

See above post - either policed by server mods, griefing being allowed, or through the sadistic AI director increasingly targeting that player for comeuppance like the bad guy in a movie.

> ANOTHER ONE: Will zombies respawn forever? Will the players be able to exterminate every one and each of them? 

Zombies will continue to come in from the edge of the world, as migrations from other cities happen etc. 

> OH GOD NOT ANOTHER ONE: Will it be possible to grow a family and make children to play after your character's inevitable death?

Not unless its modded in. It seems a likely candidate for modding at some point in the far future tho.

> PLEASE STOP: Will single player still be developed or is multiplayer the main focus? If not, how will you manage the mods on the server?

Single player will ALWAYS be given massive focus. We consider the NPCs to be the real meat and innovation of this game, and in an ideal world the NPCs will be so fkin cool that they will almost always be chosen to be part of the MP game anyway. MP will be just that, a multi-player version of the single-player game, and thus anything apart from the core MP functionality added will be a part of and integral to the single player game.

> F*CK YOU TERRAZ: What if my character is really f*cking tired but I still want to play and don't want to log off to make it sleep? Do I have to switch server?

Sleep as you know it now will be replaced with 'Nap' for MP, and you will lose your tired moodle a lot quicker and only have to wait the real-time equivalent time you do in fast-forward at present (perhaps a bit longer). Actual sleep will be used for logging off safely without leaving your character lingering in the world vulnerable for in-game hours after player disconnect. Though there still would probably be a brief time just to avoid people logging off when zombies are in the same room and being safe.

> SERIOUSLY YOU SHOULD DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT: If logging off makes your character disappear, how will you prevent the possibility to spawn in the middle of a zombie horde when you log back in? 

See above. If they logged off in a place there's likely to be a zombie horde, that's their own mistake. If a zombie horde is in their bedroom when they log on, then that's terribly bad luck and either one of their friends or their bad security or choice of place to sleep is to blame.

> PLEASE ADD A CHARACTER LIMIT TO REPLIES:  How will stashes will be managed? What if I stash all my goodies in one place and someone finds them? (it's not really hard, just follow somebody, if he tries to react just dodge him)

Server op decides. Dog eat dog = you lose your stuff, shoulda hidden it better and made sure you weren't followed back. Perhaps a safe or other secure container would make it more secure. Perhaps the server forbids anyone else entering your safehouse while you're logged off, or at least stops them accessing a special secure container in there.

Will answer these in a 'vanilla' or 'default optionny' way, but an answer to all of them generally will be 'it'll be up to the server operator' due to the modding and/or game options.

> ANOTHER QUESTION: how will you manage timed events like the power outage? will a player who join the server after those events occurred never be able to experience them?

The idea is that the server will continue in time from the moment the world is created indefinitely after that point, until the server operator decides to reset the server and start afresh. This means it'll be tough for new players if elec/water is already off, and the majority of places have been looted. But this is all part of it. If they are in a server a lot of players play on, it will be up to them to try and get into one of the communities that have undoubtedly formed that have farms and perhaps livestock or something to feed themselves. Think season 3-4 of the Walking Dead or 'Land of the Dead' style far future of the apocalypse, which will be an interesting period to play in itself. Things get harder and companionship and community becomes ever more important. This is not a problem but intriguing gameplay in of itself

> AND AGAIN: will you prevent griefing? if yes, how?

See above post - either policed by server mods, griefing being allowed, or through the sadistic AI director increasingly targeting that player for comeuppance like the bad guy in a movie.

> ANOTHER ONE: Will zombies respawn forever? Will the players be able to exterminate every one and each of them? 

Zombies will continue to come in from the edge of the world, as migrations from other cities happen etc. 

> OH GOD NOT ANOTHER ONE: Will it be possible to grow a family and make children to play after your character's inevitable death?

Not unless its modded in. It seems a likely candidate for modding at some point in the far future tho.

> PLEASE STOP: Will single player still be developed or is multiplayer the main focus? If not, how will you manage the mods on the server?

Single player will ALWAYS be given massive focus. We consider the NPCs to be the real meat and innovation of this game, and in an ideal world the NPCs will be so fkin cool that they will almost always be chosen to be part of the MP game anyway. MP will be just that, a multi-player version of the single-player game, and thus anything apart from the core MP functionality added will be a part of and integral to the single player game.

> F*CK YOU TERRAZ: What if my character is really f*cking tired but I still want to play and don't want to log off to make it sleep? Do I have to switch server?

Sleep as you know it now will be replaced with 'Nap' for MP, and you will lose your tired moodle a lot quicker and only have to wait the real-time equivalent time you do in fast-forward at present (perhaps a bit longer). Actual sleep will be used for logging off safely without leaving your character lingering in the world vulnerable for in-game hours after player disconnect. Though there still would probably be a brief time just to avoid people logging off when zombies are in the same room and being safe.

> SERIOUSLY YOU SHOULD DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT: If logging off makes your character disappear, how will you prevent the possibility to spawn in the middle of a zombie horde when you log back in? 

See above. If they logged off in a place there's likely to be a zombie horde, that's their own mistake. If a zombie horde is in their bedroom when they log on, then that's terribly bad luck and either one of their friends or their bad security or choice of place to sleep is to blame.

> PLEASE ADD A CHARACTER LIMIT TO REPLIES:  How will stashes will be managed? What if I stash all my goodies in one place and someone finds them? (it's not really hard, just follow somebody, if he tries to react just dodge him)

Server op decides. Dog eat dog = you lose your stuff, shoulda hidden it better and made sure you weren't followed back. Perhaps a safe or other secure container would make it more secure. Perhaps the server forbids anyone else entering your safehouse while you're logged off, or at least stops them accessing a special secure container in there.

To make it clear: PZ MP will be more akin to Minecraft than any of the above. At least for the foreseeable time after MP is finally in the game, there will only be player run servers. If a server operator decides to have a public server, that's up to them, but with the modding capabilities of the game it will likely be as hack infested as the original DayZ mod was at best. really the sensible way to play PZ multiplayer would be with a whitelist, username and pass per player. PZ will likely be more co-op orientated. PvP or no PvP will be entirely up to the server operator, and therefore up to the player what kind of server they want to play on.

Due to the modding capabilities, it will therefore be possible for the MP to be whatever people want it to be. Want to have support for totally impenetrable containers to store stuff in? Want new players not to be able to kill other players or get into specific ares of the map until they have undergone a probation period vetted by the server operators? There'll be a mod for that hopefully. Think of stuff like CoD4 where there were server mods that tailored the game exactly to the needs for player run tournament rules or something... There'll be no worries about PZ not being what you need from MP because that'll largely be up to you, but in the base game PZ will be at least initially more suitable for co-op with friends, but nothing to forbid those friends breaking off into sub groups and having a turf war.

We also have plans for anti-griefing using the sadistic AI director (again optional) where the AI director will, like a zombie movie director (or writer really) decide that a bad character may need some karma dishing out to them if they go around player killing, and the eye of Sauron will be upon them making their comeuppance more and more likely with more chance of say an undiscovered zombie in the corner of a room or a helicopter screwing their day up. Hopefully this kind of karma policing would go a long way to making people behave and moderate how assholey they want to be. That said we don't want to forbid 'shit happens' anything goes servers for people who do want to play in a more dog eat dog world.

Random public servers without any limit on connecting will likely never be the best of ideas though IMO. The ideal end goal would be a cluster of player run servers, each with their own unique maps built in the tools, with geographic borders connecting those servers, and potentially with some kind of subscription model to help fund the server costs, with the capabilities of trial 'permissions', self policing and banning cheaters or other undesirables, giving the scope of a public server but without the potential for ass-hats ruining it for everyone (for fear of losing their access to the server cluster)

Basically allowing players to run their own EVE style 'universes', and the cream rises to the top. The best policed, biggest and most fun to play on will attract more people, and thus those willing to play by the rules will have the best time and the more choice of servers to be a part of. There would likely be one prestigious player run server community with server ops responsible for their own 'turf', and with extra appointed server mods policing it that everyone wants to be a part of, might take a bit of work to get access to, and people would be too concerned about losing access to it to break the rules, especially if all their friends play on there. Over time more and more server operators may get access to connect their servers to it, and the world size and player count could rise organically until we have an MMO that is completely player run.

All this is obviously far off, but its the ultimate goal we're striving for with the MP.

Thank you for the confirmations, i cant wait, absolutely brilliant job you guys are doing.

These are probably the most responsive devvies ive seen for any game. You deserve a big thank you on behalf of all the PZ community. 

Keep up the great work guys, you have my utmost support.

Question; Will setting up servers be done port forward style? Or do you have to pay for one? Because if it's the former, I can get that stuff set up Day 1. 

Former. You'll just run the game with -Dserver parameter or something probably. If we ever do 'pay for' servers at any point, it will be a convenience for those who don't have the kit or connection to do so.

Question; Will setting up servers be done port forward style? Or do you have to pay for one? Because if it's the former, I can get that stuff set up Day 1. 

Former. You'll just run the game with -Dserver parameter or something probably. If we ever do pay for servers at any point, it will be a convenience for those who don't have the kit or connection to do so.

Perfect! I love the benefits of a 100$ a month connection, stuff like this :)

Former. You'll just run the game with -Dserver parameter or something probably. If we ever do pay for servers at any point, it will be a convenience for those who don't have the kit or connection to do so.

Perfect! I love the benefits of a 100$ a month connection, stuff like this :)

Kind of curious, do you have a dedicated machine or VPS, or is this just something to do with home?

You know, when I read my posts after someone responds, I feel like I'm Quebec-French.. I keep making mistakes.

Are you not!?

Sacre bleu!

Kind of curious, do you have a dedicated machine or VPS, or is this just something to do with home?

Nah, I just have an overpowered connection and a computer that can handle setting up a relatively small server for just about anything.

ISP is going to be cursing your name if the server becomes popular. :P

Nah, I just have an overpowered connection and a computer that can handle setting up a relatively small server for just about anything.

ISP is going to be cursing your name if the server becomes popular. :P

*cough cough* 87th percentile of worldwide connections *cough*

Is it just me or did this come out completely out of nowhere!? That's absolutely huge! I have to admit, I haven't ben playing PZ on purpose, because I don't want to get burned out by the game while it's still not finished, but I just might dive in now that online multiplayer is in. Huge congratulations! Damn.

As for servers, will you have a separate character for each server or will your player be persistent across each server? If I get completely kitted out in singleplayer, will I give that up upon entering multiplayer?

Really, I'd just hope for a thorough set of admin controls for these types of things. (I haven't purchased the game yet; I'm upgrading to a nicer computer at the end of the week which can properly run the game and I'll pick it up then, and I'm excited for it)