Game crashing using OS Linux 64

Steras

Question

I stupidly bought a chromebook Lenovo ideapad i5 and have downloaded steam OS on Linux 64. PZ will install and I’m able to get to the game menu before the game crashes. I’ve tried searching for the issue however can’t find it. Any help? Many thanks in advance. 

12 answers to this question

14 hours ago, Beard said:

Unusual, is this the whole game console? It does not even show the game getting into the main menu, also I gave you the wrong Zomboid folder location, on Linux it would be in your Home / Zomboid folder.
Can you instead try running the projectzomboid.sh file in the console? It is located in Steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid
It should give us the output of the game loading and we can check for any errors there.

console.txt

12 hours ago, Beard said:

Can you share your console.txt file found in C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid?

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: You have loaded library /home/willsteras97/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid/linux64/libfmod.so.12.7 which might have disabled stack guard. The VM will try to fix the stack guard now.
It's highly recommended that you fix the library with 'execstack -c <libfile>', or link it with '-z noexecstack'.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/willsteras97/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libPZXInitThreads64.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/willsteras97/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libPZXInitThreads64.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.

Thanks, this log seems to be correct as it does just crash at loading the main menu, there are no other obvious errors, I suspect this might be an issue with the graphics card through. Can you tell us your full system specifications? What is your processor mainly.
Additionally, can you go to Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid and see if there are any "hs_err_pid" files located there? If yes, can you share the latest one? They usually show more info if it is a graphics related crash.

Unusual, is this the whole game console? It does not even show the game getting into the main menu, also I gave you the wrong Zomboid folder location, on Linux it would be in your Home / Zomboid folder.
Can you instead try running the projectzomboid.sh file in the console? It is located in Steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid
It should give us the output of the game loading and we can check for any errors there.

5 hours ago, Beard said:

Thanks, this log seems to be correct as it does just crash at loading the main menu, there are no other obvious errors, I suspect this might be an issue with the graphics card through. Can you tell us your full system specifications? What is your processor mainly.
Additionally, can you go to Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid and see if there are any "hs_err_pid" files located there? If yes, can you share the latest one? They usually show more info if it is a graphics related crash.

Technical specifications for LENOVO IdeaPad 5i 14" Chromebook - Intel® Core™ i5, 256 GB SSD, Grey
OVERVIEW
Type
Chromebook
Operating system
Chrome OS
PERFORMANCE
Processor
- Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processor
- Quad-core
- 4.2 GHz
- 8 MB cache
RAM
8 GB LPDDR4X (4266 MHz)
Storage
256 GB SS
Graphics:  Intel® Iris® Xe graphics

Just now, Steras said:

Technical specifications for LENOVO IdeaPad 5i 14" Chromebook - Intel® Core™ i5, 256 GB SSD, Grey
OVERVIEW
Type
Chromebook
Operating system
Chrome OS
PERFORMANCE
Processor
- Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processor
- Quad-core
- 4.2 GHz
- 8 MB cache
RAM
8 GB LPDDR4X (4266 MHz)
Storage
256 GB SS
Graphics:  Intel® Iris® Xe graphics

I also couldn’t find any files marked hs_err_pid I’m afraid 

24 minutes ago, Beard said:

Hm, in that case can you try switching the game version in the Steam betas tab to version 40? The legacy version, I wonder if older versions would work, which would indicate that this might be a graphical issue.

Ah yes this works, so version 45 requires better graphics card I assume or is there a way round this? Thanks for all your help btw 

I'm also on a Chromebook and am having similar issues.

It appears libPZXInitThreads64.so is missing from the Linux install, so the LD_PRELOAD fails because the file does not exist.

I'm looking in my install folder here:

~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid

Archived