Yet Another Weapon Mod

NCrawler

Hmm, I downloaded 1.5, extracted/ copied to the mods folder and deleted 1.4,Though, when I start the game I'm not seeing 1.5 in the mod launcher but 1.4 is still in there. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Hmm, no idea.  If you have already deleted the 1.4 version, entire NCYawMod folder, just drag the folder from the zip to the mods folder and it should already be on the loaded mods list (as 1.5).  Make sure that the game is not running as I guess that could be holding a file lock on mod.info not allowing it to be deleted and/or updated.

Hmm, I downloaded 1.5, extracted/ copied to the mods folder and deleted 1.4,Though, when I start the game I'm not seeing 1.5 in the mod launcher but 1.4 is still in there. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Hmm, no idea.  If you have already deleted the 1.4 version, entire NCYawMod folder, just drag the folder from the zip to the mods folder and it should already be on the loaded mods list (as 1.5).  Make sure that the game is not running as I guess that could be holding a file lock on mod.info not allowing it to be deleted and/or updated.

I deleted everything and started from scratch and still can't get it to show up in the mod launcher. It's weird because I did everything exactly the same as when I first installed it. Oh well, gonna keep tryin I suppose.

First, this is an awesome mod, and I like the work you've put into it. The following is said with respect and I hope it's constructive feedback.

I feel like weapons spawn way too much. After looting 20 or so houses, I have 10 rifles/ARs and all the ammo I can ever use. It totally changes the game's balance.

You have the spawn rates all set around 0.1, which is what the pistol/ammo is set to in vanilla, but since there are like 10x as many weapons now, 0.01 would be more appropriate so you don't end up with 10x the guns. Maybe 0.03 or 0.01 for the kits also, so they're a "special" spawn (I have about 5 of those total also, which is a lot). This COULD add further loot depth, but currently it just spams high quality gear, which reduces the depth since you can just ignore 90% of what weaponry you find and get big guns early and often.

I mean, yeah, it is rural KY... but I'd prefer more of a challenge. I can just gear up with rifles and run around shooting everything I see. No need for saving ammo when you have infinite supply.

Secondly, the ALICE system. Really OP. Again it totally changes the game's balance. I would suggest the following:

large ALICE = 60% reduction/24 storage

med ALICE = 55% / 20

adding anything = +5% reduction (total, non-stacking)

adding all = +10% reduction (total)

adding S = +3 storage

adding T = +5

adding L = +8

Also adds weight per upgrade (0.05 - 0.1 - 0.2 - 0.3 S-T-L-F). Perhaps I've gone overboard on nerfing it, but I think I'm in the ballpark of "balanced" (in my opinion at least).

This needs balance to keep it from totally subverting the challenging and horrific gameplay in vanilla. And, yeah, spawn chances should be lowered as well (though not quite as much as for weapons, maybe 0.05 instead). Ultimately, finding all the parts for a FTLS should take some time, and a basic ALICE shouldn't immediately be the hands-down best pack ever. I feel like the above values mesh it well with other packs already in-game. Again, after 20 houses I have 3-4 of each pack part and have come across multiple medium and large packs. It's too much!

Good job, again :)

First, this is an awesome mod, and I like the work you've put into it. The following is said with respect and I hope it's constructive feedback.

I feel like weapons spawn way too much. After looting 20 or so houses, I have 10 rifles/ARs and all the ammo I can ever use. It totally changes the game's balance.

You have the spawn rates all set around 0.1, which is what the pistol/ammo is set to in vanilla, but since there are like 10x as many weapons now, 0.01 would be more appropriate so you don't end up with 10x the guns. Maybe 0.03 or 0.01 for the kits also, so they're a "special" spawn (I have about 5 of those total also, which is a lot). This COULD add further loot depth, but currently it just spams high quality gear, which reduces the depth since you can just ignore 90% of what weaponry you find and get big guns early and often.

I mean, yeah, it is rural KY... but I'd prefer more of a challenge. I can just gear up with rifles and run around shooting everything I see. No need for saving ammo when you have infinite supply.

Unfortunately, as per a discussion we are having in the Help section of this forum, it appears that numbers below 0.1 are not taken into account in the distributions table.  IIRC I have the MP5 set for 0.01 on zombie corpses yet it spawns quite frequently.  I am in the process of rewriting my distribution code using the OnFillContainer event so this should allow much finer control of how my items spawn.  I'm not sure exactly how truly random Lua's math.random function is, but I should be able to come up with distributions that don't unbalance the game with firearms.

Secondly, the ALICE system. Really OP. Again it totally changes the game's balance. I would suggest the following:

large ALICE = 60% reduction/24 storage

med ALICE = 55% / 20

adding anything = +5% reduction (total, non-stacking)

adding all = +10% reduction (total)

adding S = +3 storage

adding T = +5

adding L = +8

Also adds weight per upgrade (0.05 - 0.1 - 0.2 - 0.3 S-T-L-F). Perhaps I've gone overboard on nerfing it, but I think I'm in the ballpark of "balanced" (in my opinion at least).

This needs balance to keep it from totally subverting the challenging and horrific gameplay in vanilla. And, yeah, spawn chances should be lowered as well (though not quite as much as for weapons, maybe 0.05 instead). Ultimately, finding all the parts for a FTLS should take some time, and a basic ALICE shouldn't immediately be the hands-down best pack ever. I feel like the above values mesh it well with other packs already in-game. Again, after 20 houses I have 3-4 of each pack part and have come across multiple medium and large packs. It's too much!

Good job, again :)

I will take another look at the properties for the ALICE system and make some adjustments to better balance it.  I do appreciate constructive feedback, so thank you.  Give me a few days to get these changes made and I'm also adding a new attachment for the ALICE system, so I'll be sure to balance it as well...

Yeah, I just saw that thread (and replied to it). Guess it's as low as it can go for now. I tried those settings I mentioned, and the very first closet I checked on a new game had 4 guns in it. Other closets were similarly holding what I thought would be "very rare" gear.

Not only does the game not accept values lower than 0.1, but it seems to force them much higher than 0.1!

For ALICE, something more in line with what's already ingame would be nice. You get 70%/22 at best from the vanilla rucks. Adding more weight reduction seems excessive, and having too much capacity causes a bug where you can no longer move items into any of your inventory. I don't mind having super capacity rucks, but if you use one you ought to still get encumbered when you fill the thing all the way.

Guest SuisidalMonk3y

Hello, I was trying to use this mod had it loaded up, played the game all day didn't find a single gun or any ammo ALL day? Not even a shotgun or 9mm, however once I removed the mod I could find the default guns again.

In the SuburbsDistribution:

-- Remove default pistol, shotgun and ammo spawns

[blahblahcode]

It's in the mod. You don't get the vanilla weapons spawned. The Beretta 9mm (in the mod) is the same basic gun as the vanilla pistol, and there's a new Mossberg shotgun that replaces the old one. The weapons are spawning still, they're just "new and improved" mod versions.

I would think it's done for balancing reasons, so you don't end up with excessive weapons loot, plus it's easier to alter gun/ammo values when you're not constrained by the vanilla weapons. Not sure, I'm just guessing here.

Also, weapon spawn rates are 0.1% for most containers. It's only zombie corpses that have considerably higher spawn rates. I believe the vanilla weapons were more common than that by a bit. You have to loot a lot to find the guns in the mod. If you're just checking like 50 places, there's a good chance indeed you won't find anything.

If you don't like it, there's an easy fix:

- go into NCYawMod\media\lua\Distro\NCYawMod_Distributions.lua

Open it with wordpad.

Use "replace". In the upper field, type "0.1", in the lower field, "0.5" or "1.0" or "1.5" (normal, heavy, very heavy loot), or even higher, whatever you fancy!

Click "replace all".

Save.

You can play around with different settings for that, find one you think is "right", and let the developer know. The mod's clearly still in the early stages, and balancing can take a while, so now's the time for feedback on this :)

I deleted everything and started from scratch and still can't get it to show up in the mod launcher. It's weird because I did everything exactly the same as when I first installed it. Oh well, gonna keep tryin I suppose.

Did you put it under C:\Users\yourname\Zomboid\mods? I have no idea why there's a mods folder in the game folder if you're supposed to put it there, and I think the official document tells you to put it at the wrong place too.

Yeah, I just saw that thread (and replied to it). Guess it's as low as it can go for now. I tried those settings I mentioned, and the very first closet I checked on a new game had 4 guns in it. Other closets were similarly holding what I thought would be "very rare" gear.

Not only does the game not accept values lower than 0.1, but it seems to force them much higher than 0.1!

For ALICE, something more in line with what's already ingame would be nice. You get 70%/22 at best from the vanilla rucks. Adding more weight reduction seems excessive, and having too much capacity causes a bug where you can no longer move items into any of your inventory. I don't mind having super capacity rucks, but if you use one you ought to still get encumbered when you fill the thing all the way.

Can you elaborate on that capacity bug? I seem to have run into it, and I can't find anything about it.

That's it basically: if you put more than like 60-70 units in your total inventory, you can't add anything to a personal container (including swapping from on to another). I don't know the exact number, but it only comes up using modded high capacity rucks.

Way to "fix" it is to drop a couple items.

Did you put it under C:\Users\yourname\Zomboid\mods? I have no idea why there's a mods folder in the game folder if you're supposed to put it there, and I think the official document tells you to put it at the wrong place too.

Can you elaborate on that capacity bug? I seem to have run into it, and I can't find anything about it.

This worked! Thanks a ton, I guess I didn't do everything the same as the first time I installed the mod.  :oops:

That's it basically: if you put more than like 60-70 units in your total inventory, you can't add anything to a personal container (including swapping from on to another). I don't know the exact number, but it only comes up using modded high capacity rucks.

Way to "fix" it is to drop a couple items.

Thanks, that's a little more, at least now I know it's around 60 - 70. But yeah, I found the only solution for me was to drop my second bag whenever I needed to interact with something.

This worked! Thanks a ton, I guess I didn't do everything the same as the first time I installed the mod.  :oops:

Glad it work for you :) It frustrated me to no end for a while too, when putting it in the game root's mods folder didn't work.

Hi NCrawler,

I was just looking at your distro file and I'm not sure if some omissions were deliberate or unintentional.. While most other guns and ammo are included in these containers, it looks like the shotgun and shells were left out of:

*Bedroom other

*All wardrobe

Were these intentional? I would think if these imaginary people had all those other guns in their bedroom, they'd have a shotgun as well.

And the shed is set to spawn only boxes of 22LR but not any other ammo boxes.

Lastly, you seem to have left out distribution of all your guns and ammos in all crates. In vanilla the crates do spawn at least the shotgun and shells. Wouldn't you want your guns and ammos to spawn there as well, or was it removed intentionally?

Anyway, I really like how you made the ALICE modular, I think it's really cool and it adds an additional mechanic where you have to look for add-ons. Do you plan to add any silencers? Thanks for a cool mod!

• 1 month later...

Well its nice to see some body who knows how weapons work and what they shoot and does not call a magazine a clip. also the idea behind the alice pack is nice. would it also be possible to get  

Ares Armor Satellite Ruck

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Satellite-Ruck-Large-Standing.jpeg

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Satellite-w_-Combat-XII-.jpeg

this ruck would be nice to have as it has a optional attachment which can be used to house more important things be used on its own and split off from main ruck quickly. 

next would be some type of rip stop or "moleskin" uniform. 

benefits of these uniforms could be heat reduction cold reduction if that is in game :D 

more space to carry things. 

looking cool 

and some other functions around the base mechanics of the game. like moleskin can be used to help with blisters and turned into high quality bandages if a bad spot.  also water resistance is a nice thing to have in the ripstop uniform along with fire protection/cuts scrapes wounds   

useful item would be a usgi field blanket as it can be used for sheet bedding and for rain protection or even get out of the sun. 

that about covers it for now 

Hi NCrawler,

I was just looking at your distro file and I'm not sure if some omissions were deliberate or unintentional.. While most other guns and ammo are included in these containers, it looks like the shotgun and shells were left out of:

*Bedroom other

*All wardrobe

Were these intentional? I would think if these imaginary people had all those other guns in their bedroom, they'd have a shotgun as well.

Lastly, you seem to have left out distribution of all your guns and ammos in all crates. In vanilla the crates do spawn at least the shotgun and shells. Wouldn't you want your guns and ammos to spawn there as well, or was it removed intentionally?

Anyway, I really like how you made the ALICE modular, I think it's really cool and it adds an additional mechanic where you have to look for add-ons. Do you plan to add any silencers? Thanks for a cool mod!

there called suppressors and would be some what useful in a riffle. more useful for things like a 10 22 tactical  or a pistol 

ass the ammo for the riffle would have to be sub sonic for it to take full effect. another not to be add on would be using things like legos steel wool tennis balls

and make shift adapter for a old oil filer from a car. yes those exist in real life and work well. the silencer for the 22 could be made  with mandatory items for crafting reasons. knife or glue. as make lego suppressor its really durable and would not fall aprt once glue was used. in return gun would make no noise at all.  

Hi NCrawler,

*Bedroom other

*All wardrobe

there called suppressors and would be some what useful in a riffle. more useful for things like a 10 22 tactical  or a pistol 

ass the ammo for the riffle would have to be sub sonic for it to take full effect. another not to be add on would be using things like legos steel wool tennis balls

and make shift adapter for a old oil filer from a car. yes those exist in real life and work well. the silencer for the 22 could be made  with mandatory items for crafting reasons. knife or glue. as make lego suppressor its really durable and would not fall aprt once glue was used. in return gun would make no noise at all.  

... Lego silencer?

... you have got to be joking, that wouldn't work with a real firearm. Since that could literally break the pieces apart and it wouldn't even suppress any of the noise.

And people can choose to say suppressor or silencer since it doesn't really matter, even some shows call suppressors silencers. :P

Hi NCrawler,

*Bedroom other

*All wardrobe

... Lego silencer?

... you have got to be joking, that wouldn't work with a real firearm. Since that could literally break the pieces apart and it wouldn't even suppress any of the noise.

And people can choose to say suppressor or silencer since it doesn't really matter, even some shows call suppressors silencers. :P

not leggo but u can find them and u can make them buy a 22 rifle or handgun look up the guide. and try it your self  

i did this before with my grandfather back in the 90's 

My Dog! Seeing this kinda shit in the modding section annoys the crap out of me.... If NCrawler likes the idea of a lego silencer then he'll implement lego silencers. How about a little respect for the mod author & leave his thread for comments/ideas/feedback....

If you wanna argue BS then take it on over to the suggestions forum :P

My Dog! Seeing this kinda shit in the modding section annoys the crap out of me.... If NCrawler likes the idea of a lego silencer then he'll implement lego silencers. How about a little respect for the mod author & leave his thread for comments/ideas/feedback....

If you wanna argue BS then take it on over to the suggestions forum :P

no disrespect intended, i actually hope he comes back and updates this as soon as he hears about the 3D updates

well honestly you and the other person did disrespect me. and that is not nice. now that said onto debating the leggo suppressor. like i said you can make one in real life for a 22lr or short.  it will work along with a partially full bottle. and many other objects. you guys are more then capable to learn how a suppressor works in real life.  now am i saying this homemade suppressor is king no. how ever think about how hard it is to break a leggo. think about if u were to shave out a whole in a block of those. and line up the end of the barrel with the hole.  and were to fasten that on to your gun. it would last for a while. and when i say while this could be months or a few weeks. pr a day if u dont go taking care of things. point is tenis balls steel wool pvc piping legos glue all common items. if u really want to get into it. you can take some pvc pipe and make three chambers in it. and pack it like steel wool empty steel wool. and bam nice suppressor for a gun of any caliber. 

now onto the AR-15 platform 

we need to have different ar-15 such as 9mm 6.8 22 45 50.cal beowulf 5.45.39 and 7.62.39  

also the m110 would be cool to see.really uncommon for civilan or law enforcement but still cool to see. while the ar-15 can be found in a wide variety of assorted firepower