Electricity/Water shutoff settings

getstoopid

The two different (but apparently mutual exclusive?) settings

* WaterShut/ElecShut
* WaterShutModifier/ElecShutModifier

should work together.

"Modifier" should be a modifier and no hard value. That way we could set them way more flexible for our servers.

WaterShut (somewhat random range) + Modifier (fixed minimum value).

e.g. ElecShut = 2 (0-30 days), ElecShutModifier = 10 --> 10-30 days

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 9:04 AM, letheral said:

That sounds kinda complicated, but maybe i just dont get it.

Why not simply a "Min day" and a "Max day" for either shut off? Range would be implicit.

I totally agree with you. I also would've gone for min/max value in the first place. But since the properties are already there and used by the game a change to this setup would probably break a lot of logic in the game - not to speak of running games. 

I'd like to see complete freedom for electricity/water shutoff in the sandbox settings. IDK how it works with servers.

Like you can either set a min/max value that it randomly picks a day from and shuts it off like :

On 1/26/2022 at 9:04 AM, letheral said:

Why not simply a "Min day" and a "Max day" for either shut off? Range would be implicit.

Or set a specific day where it turns off.

Also would like the electricity and water shutoff settings to be separate. So you could have the water go out but the electricity still on or vice versa.

I didn't really understand the OP either so sorry if I'm off topic.

• 3 weeks later...

I have read up on this topic so many times and every time i think i have the current system figured out, it ends up not working like I expected :/ 

MP , thought i had minimum 6 months with 8/220 but whatever

as a result i am not a fan of the current system.

Edited by LODE

You should only need to specify the minimum day for shutoff. Below would be nice.

# PUBLIC UTILITIES SETTINGS
############################

# WATER
# The day to start checking for water system failure: 0 - 2147483647 (Default: 14)
# To simulate water never shutting off use a really big number.
WaterStartDay=14

# The initial chance for water shut off beginning on WaterStartDay: 0 - 100 (Default: 25)
WaterOffChance=25

# How many days before the WaterOffChance percentage is increased by the WaterIncreasePercentage
WaterIncreaseDays=10

# The amount which the percentage chance for shut off should increase every WaterIncreaseDays
WaterIncreasePercentage=5

# ELECTRICITY
# The day to start checking for electrical power system failure: 0 - 2147483647 (Default: 14)
# To simulate electrical system power never shutting off use a really big number.
PowerStartDay=14

# The initial chance for power shut off beginning on PowerStartDay: 0 - 100 (Default: 25)
PowerOffChance=25

# How many days before the PowerOffChance percentage is increased by the PowerIncreasePercentage
PowerIncreaseDays=10

# The amount which the percentage chance for shut off should increase every PowerIncreaseDays
PowerIncreasePercentage=5

# TELECOM / INTERNET (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompuServe )
# The day to start checking for the "internet" (and telephone lines) to shut down.

# EXAMPLE:
# If you set the StartDay to 0, and leave the rest at their default, you would get a progression like this:
# DAY | PERCENTAGE FOR SHUT OFF
#  00 | 25%
#  10 | 30%
#  20 | 35%
#  30 | 40%
#  40 | 45%
#  50 | 50%
#  60 | 55%
#  70 | 60%
#  80 | 65%
#  90 | 70%
# 100 | 75%
# 110 | 80%
# 120 | 85%
# 130 | 90%
# 140 | 95%
# 150 | 100% (system shuts off on day 150 at the latest)

I agree with the suggestions.

And just to add 1 more thing, some detail in these systems in general would be really good. I think something like electricity being shut off should be like a boolean 0/1, so the power generators go offline it's instantly lights out. But the water should be something like the water goes out and then you have decreasing water pressure over a certain number of days which is probably more realistic. That means filling from water sources simply gets slower and slower until eventually its painfully slow and then finally off. This would give water a bit more of a warning/buffer, and a slow trade off over time as whether its worth your time to wait for containers to fill, or source it from elsewhere.

Water is also arguably more vital for survival so adds balance if that has a bit more warning. Although I do like that sinks and water sources do have small amounts left in them after shut off which does help.