Lockpicking

Trilico

While there is a mod, I think we can all agree the Average Joe/Jane has no idea how to pick a lock.  I think a normal person could put a crowbar into a door and get it open.

I'm an average dude, I can pick a lock. I've never used a "lockpick" before... only 

paper clips and credit cards :).

While there is a mod, I think we can all agree the Average Joe/Jane has no idea how to pick a lock.  I think a normal person could put a crowbar into a door and get it open.

I'm an average dude, I can pick a lock. I've never used a "lockpick" before... only 

paper clips and credit cards :).

I am an average dude and can field strip an .50 cal, Mk-19, SAW, M60, M16, M4, M9 and shoot them at "expert" level as defined by the US Army.  I can also repell out of helicopters or down the sides of building (Air Assault FTW), SCUBA dive... there is more, but this is not about me.

I think most "average" people don't have a real clue how to pick a lock.  I mean someone can play at it with a paper clip and a screwdriver, but the real world is not Fallout 3.

My lockpicking mod allows you to break open a door with a crowbar.

I saw your mod and it looks AWESOME, but I won't use it.  We are in Alpha and are suppose to be testing the mechanics as they exist in the game.  That said (I have said this before too), if the devs give a PZ Stamp of Approval to a mod... I would use it.  I also like the spray can marking mod.

I think most "average" people don't have a real clue how to pick a lock.  I mean someone can play at it with a paper clip and a screwdriver, but the real world is not Fallout 3.

You would be surprised at how accurate fallout is.... not the angle of the pin/pick or whatever your using but its BASICALLY about applying torque to the barrel so that the pins lock into place when you push them up. Like I said though, you would only be able to do that if you took the time to learn. Everything I've read on the subject seems to imply that even "experts" would require a fair amount of time to "pick" complex locks....

Forcing the door should all but ruin it though. Pry it open or shoot/drill out the lock & that door isn't going to close right again

Shooting out the lock with a shotgun should also be doable by average joe I guess.

A lot of people, especially shady people, reinforce the locks with additional plates.  That pesky rule about the angle of reflection equals the angle of refraction can be a real bummer if you get taken out by your own weapon while trying to breech a door.

We usually fire a special shotgun round at the hinges (ahem, cops), if we are not using a ram.  I have never seen reinforced hinges.

I think for cheap door, a standard shotgun slug would do the trick.  Not sure about 00 Buck.

Shooting out the lock with a shotgun should also be doable by average joe I guess.

A lot of people, especially shady people, reinforce the locks with additional plates.  That pesky rule about the angle of reflection equals the angle of refraction can be a real bummer if you get taken out by your own weapon while trying to breech a door.

We usually fire a special shotgun round at the hinges (ahem, cops), if we are not using a ram.  I have never seen reinforced hinges.

I think for cheap door, a standard shotgun slug would do the trick.  Not sure about 00 Buck.

And then of course, we have axes and sledgehammers. I think those are very viable candidates for opening doors.

Ah well that would be a bit over-the-top realism IMO. I think I will add the shotgun stuff to the mod some time soon.

Ah well that would be a bit over-the-top realism IMO. I think I will add the shotgun stuff to the mod some time soon.

The weird thing is, in the game's files, the shotgun has a variable for door damage.

And then of course, we have axes and sledgehammers. I think those are very viable candidates for opening doors.

horror_2382351b.jpg

I like the Lockpick mod. The extra profession alone is worth it. I think it would be great to add gun breaches of doors to it.

American Steel, I believe there are even special barrels for the blasting of hinges and modern shotgun bayonets are shapped to aid tasks like this.

I breached four doors this way in my time as a cop, took two rounds each time.  The advantage of using a shotgun is you do not have to have a knocker (the guy with the ram) exposed with his hands full.  Two cops have shotguns, one aims high and the other low.  Boom!  Door falls in and you rush in already armed, presenting lethal force by sound and the showing everyone you mean business waving around your boomstick.  They psychological impact is huge.

Not that the psychology against a Zed would mean anything more than a dinner bell :)

horror_2382351b.jpg

That fits me alarmingly well. Oh wait, I forgot, I'm a dangerous sociopath with a long history of violence. No wonder.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...