My RCON server administration tool

kwmx

Hello,

So I usually play with friends on a private server and sometimes we need to run some simple commands (Mainly teleport player x to player y) I made this tool that uses RCON to make it easier hope you guys find it useful would love any feedback if its useful I may continue to update it and add additional features.

Tool uses RCON to send commands and read responses

Current features:

• List players

• Keep database of all player (online and offline)

• Kick player

• Enable/Disable godmod for a player

• whitelist players

• Set access level

• Spawn a vehicle for a player (Using images as references to make things easier)

• Open a command console that allows manual command input

Github:

https://github.com/kwmx/ZomboidRCON

Releases

https://github.com/kwmx/ZomboidRCON/releases/latest

spacer.png

spacer.png

18 hours ago, The Backlog said:

OK, so I can't find anything about it online, but how do I set my admin password? The server is up and running, but I have no idea how to administer it while it's running!

Thanks

It uses RCON you can edit your config file on the server (by default servertest.ini) search for RCON you will find a field for port and another for password just enter the password for RCON then use the RCON port and password as in the ini file and the Server IP in the program

There is no possibility for you to evolve your program, so that we, the server owners, can authorize certain people to use simple commands, such as "adduser" ?

My server receives more than 50 whitelist requests a day, I would like a tool that the staff could also use, but with restricted commands.
Since the simplest acesslevel (in-game) can already give TP to players, which in itself can be problematic.
i would like if moderators could just only the "adduser" command w/ RCON

I imagine your tool, but with authentication (perhaps the owner of the server is the one who creates the users or some kind of "key") and modularity in the permission of commands for authenticated members.

I don't know if you could understand what I meant... But thanks for the tool and I understand if you don't have the mood to improve it.

2 hours ago, P_menta said:

There is no possibility for you to evolve your program, so that we, the server owners, can authorize certain people to use simple commands, such as "adduser" ?

My server receives more than 50 whitelist requests a day, I would like a tool that the staff could also use, but with restricted commands.
Since the simplest acesslevel (in-game) can already give TP to players, which in itself can be problematic.
i would like if moderators could just only the "adduser" command w/ RCON

I imagine your tool, but with authentication (perhaps the owner of the server is the one who creates the users or some kind of "key") and modularity in the permission of commands for authenticated members.

I don't know if you could understand what I meant... But thanks for the tool and I understand if you don't have the mood to improve it.

Unfortunately using this app it won't work as the password is cross shared between users and cannot define privileges. However, a different solution for it can be found for example a middle server controlling the common RCON access and restricting commands I can look into implementing this later on as a different tool.

This is cool, thank you. 

Question, I'm new to RCON, how do you know the schema to talk to Project Zomboid Server via RCON? is it something standard? 
Like, how do you know the available actions or commands?

Can RCON receive like telemetry/stats periodically? like per second or every 5 seconds? Or would that require the RCON client to do that request all the time? 

Thanks

On 1/27/2022 at 3:55 AM, Ralms said:

This is cool, thank you. 

Question, I'm new to RCON, how do you know the schema to talk to Project Zomboid Server via RCON? is it something standard? 
Like, how do you know the available actions or commands?

Can RCON receive like telemetry/stats periodically? like per second or every 5 seconds? Or would that require the RCON client to do that request all the time? 

Thanks

Well RCON stands for Remote Console to explain it simply, you just send a command and an answer comes back from the server. If you go into Server Controls and select the 'Command Console' option you will get to send the commands manually. Type help and you will see all the options available. This protocol is used in other games (ex minecraft) 

On 1/28/2022 at 2:17 AM, kwmx said:

Well RCON stands for Remote Console to explain it simply, you just send a command and an answer comes back from the server. If you go into Server Controls and select the 'Command Console' option you will get to send the commands manually. Type help and you will see all the options available. This protocol is used in other games (ex minecraft) 

ohhh, ok awesome, that makes a lot more sense now. 

That is very clear now. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Love this but I run on linux on my primary install. Is there a chance for a Linux native build? Doesn't need to have a distribution friendly package, just a .tar.gz archive with the native files in there. Much appreciated if you are willing to do so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 10:30 PM, traindoc said:

Love this but I run on linux on my primary install. Is there a chance for a Linux native build? Doesn't need to have a distribution friendly package, just a .tar.gz archive with the native files in there. Much appreciated if you are willing to do so.

Unfortunately this runs on WinForms and not a multiplatform

On 2/21/2022 at 11:56 AM, ARandomGuy said:

Nice work, but I don't know if is a bug. I run my shared server on my NAS, but I don't see offline players. They should login at least once with RCON app running to show them in the list.

Its by design the program has to see the player before storing any info. This is due to the limitations of RCON