Dead State

NCrawler

Meh, Dead State has been around for awhile. I was following it, but then it sorta... died. So I gave up on it. Might be interesting if they've come back though...

It is a kickstarter project, how did it actually die if it was not released? They were never 'gone', they are currently working on a demo.

Meh, Dead State has been around for awhile. I was following it, but then it sorta... died. So I gave up on it. Might be interesting if they've come back though...

It's never died. The development is ongoing, just not amazingly fast at all times.

It is a kickstarter project, how did it actually die if it was not released? They were never 'gone', they are currently working on a demo.

It existed well before Kickstarter, they started somewhere in 2008 or 2009. The Kickstarter campaign just allowed the main devs to work on Dead State full time.

• 1 month later...

Bought and played for couple of hours, it seems to have right kind of mentality behind it. Combat is pretty close to old school Fallouts with debuffs. I really like it so far.

Anything you didn't like so far?

Haven't gotten to test it yet.

Looks like they're getting close to the finishing line then. I've been keeping an eye on this for a long time, will be interesting to see how well it actually plays. The writing certainly shouldn't be the weakest link here.

Edit: and yeah, I've seen the gameplay video. It seemed a bit awkward but basically sound. Hopefully they've smoothened the bumps out.

Anything you didn't like so far?

Well the zombies and npc's are pretty static right now, they only start moving after spotting you. But thats clearly still in development.

I just came back to the shelter after first scavenging round (visited 3 different smallish maps) so I don't know if other survivors in the shelter are going to start moving either, nor do I know whats planned. Haven't met any non-hostile survivors yet, or any animals.

It could be more clear what goes into the shelters main inventory (which is abstracted into few categories) when returning and what doesn't. I was pretty sure I had found a chocolate bars to boost other one survivors moral but those chocolate bars were not special enough and were put to the luxury category in shelter stock instead. Sure enough its labeled so if you look, but nonetheless this could be clearer.

One gripe I have is that you can't unload weapons or medical satchels, at least I don't know how to do it. Interface can be a bit unintuitive so I'm not sure. Haven't roamed the dev forums either to see if this is about to change. EDIT: seems like its coming.

Camera system could be either more flexible or not flexible at all, meaning that the tilt feature is pretty useless right now. Otherwise the freedom to rotate the camera is great.

All in all minor stuff thats probably going to change for the better as the time goes by. Oh! You can't climb through windows is one thing I miss most from the PZ.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it story driven or really free form like PZ?

Story driven.

Really? Guess I won't be grabbing it then. From what I've heard it's quite... basic, at the moment, even for early access... 

Same, shame its not a free roam survival.