The Big 3

Myth

3 game issues/bugs/mechanics that annoy you most. The 3 that if you were in charge of these fine devs, you'd say, "Stop! Stop it all! Fix these 3 things TEW-DAY!" This is not meant to diminish the hard work put in. This is the most fun I've ever had with a beta. That said:

#1: Belly Flopping crawlers insta-biting my junk. Here I am, I see this corpse-thing laying on it's back all peaceful but I know something's up. I slowly approach it with my axe drawn back, "I know that thing is alive... dead... undead..." and while I'm having this argument with myself, the zed shows strong zed-fu and in a blink is on its belly and I have a bite on my balls. Is this some cruel joke? Surely it's not intentional. Those crawler bastards account for 3/5 of my survivor deaths.

#2: WHY NO SLEDGHAMMERS! Seriously... i know they're out there. I've heard other players speak of them. I even saw one once about 4 survivors ago, but it ran away. And by ran away i mean i got bit in the face running out of the house doing a victory dance. How's about upping the rng drop rate for those things just a hair. Maybe some Barbed Wire love too if you're feelin' it. No? K just the Sledges then.

#3: Our survivor may be an average joe, but that doesn't mean everyone in Knox county was that way. What's wrong with finding a Carpenter's home stocked with tools, a Chef's home stocked with food and cooking stuffs, or a Survivalists home stocked with canned goods and ammo? Randomly generate which houses spawn with these descriptors. Add some foils if you like, like the Dentist's house full of toothpaste and dental floss and organic food that all rotted. That would be my goal, the thing that would keep me going in this scenario. After settling in and scouring the local obvious spots, it's what kind of caches can be found in each house. How victorious I'd feel that day I found the Gardener's house with a cache of seeds, fertilizer and spare gardening tools.

What're your 3 big frustrations livin' in a surivors paradise?

#1: Belly Flopping crawlers insta-biting my junk. Here I am, I see this corpse-thing laying on it's back all peaceful but I know something's up. I slowly approach it with my axe drawn back, "I know that thing is alive... dead... undead..." and while I'm having this argument with myself, the zed shows strong zed-fu and in a blink is on its belly and I have a bite on my balls. Is this some cruel joke? Surely it's not intentional. Those crawler bastards account for 3/5 of my survivor deaths.

The crawlers have caused me many bouts of panic, but I think they are needed to maintain the balance.

The crawlers have caused me many bouts of panic, but I think they are needed to maintain the balance.

It's not the crawlers in general. They're fine. It's that bug out where they seem to instantly flip to their stomachs and bite me all in a blink. It doesn't happen like that very often, but I know it can't be intentional that they do this flop'n'bite faster than I can swing my readied axe. I've had the bastards sneak up on me in corpse piles while looting a horde I just gunned down and they not manage to bite me, but I've had more than a few survivors bite it because of the gymnast zed-fu flips :P

They do provide a nice injection of urgency, like a landmine crawling around on the ground chasing you. I'm by no means suggesting get rid of them. Just to put some immedieate attention on balancing them out and fixing any bugs with 'em.

#1 - We need to feel like there was something leading up to Day 1 for the character.  Right it feels like all the humans were instantly turned into Zeds.  The aluminum hat you slept in last night kept you safe, now go figure it out for yourself.  I know why this has not been added, but that does not mean I dont want it right now :)

#2 - More skill sets and skill books based around trade jobs: mechanic, electrician, plumber, bricklayer (I know some of this is planned)  Combining skill sets could allow for a larger or more involved project (like a cistern on a roof for carpenter/plumber or an archmedies screw for a mechanic/farmer).

#3 - Construction materials like sheets of plywood, durock, etc.  Put two 3 x 5 sheets of 3/4" durrock over the barricade frame door or  drop a 1" sheet of plywood over a barricade frame window.  Bricks and mortar for sealing up windows, making outdoor ovens, etc.  Being able to get PVC pipe and the bonding agents to redirect water or capture water.  No clue how much of this sort of extra material is "planned" but I know the modding community is busy on all sort of wonderful stuff.

I agree with the profession specific skills, and just to add something, I think there should be of course more negative traces than positive ones, I mean the good ones cost more and the bad ones less, so there's no way you'll make a perfect chucknorris-like character, also the profession items mod could be implemented in the game, as for the lockpicking mod which I find pretty much A MUST to have a nice play.

1) the sneaking ability could be look into more carefully, maybe because it is one of the most important skills if you want to be alive for long, and would make playing with extreme setting more possible instead of just running for your life distracting and hiding until you die 6h-8h into the game since there's no way to build stuff or setting off an alarma and not getting surrounded in seconds by every inhabitant in town... I say that because in an apocalypse that killed everyone and where you will most certantly die i don't believe zombies would just be like TWD zombies unless they were at insane number, or if they weren't that many they should at least be fast zombies right? so they could kill everyone not just because you made a mistake once, but because they would chase you.

2)Specific loot in specific places in my favorite issue so far!!! totally agree on #3

3 game issues/bugs/mechanics that annoy you most. The 3 that if you were in charge of these fine devs, you'd say, "Stop! Stop it all! Fix these 3 things TEW-DAY!" This is not meant to diminish the hard work put in. This is the most fun I've ever had with a beta. That said:

#2: WHY NO SLEDGHAMMERS! Seriously... i know they're out there. I've heard other players speak of them. I even saw one once about 4 survivors ago, but it ran away. And by ran away i mean i got bit in the face running out of the house doing a victory dance. How's about upping the rng drop rate for those things just a hair. Maybe some Barbed Wire love too if you're feelin' it. No? K just the Sledges then.

#3: Our survivor may be an average joe, but that doesn't mean everyone in Knox county was that way. What's wrong with finding a Carpenter's home stocked with tools, a Chef's home stocked with food and cooking stuffs, or a Survivalists home stocked with canned goods and ammo? Randomly generate which houses spawn with these descriptors. Add some foils if you like, like the Dentist's house full of toothpaste and dental floss and organic food that all rotted. That would be my goal, the thing that would keep me going in this scenario. After settling in and scouring the local obvious spots, it's what kind of caches can be found in each house. How victorious I'd feel that day I found the Gardener's house with a cache of seeds, fertilizer and spare gardening tools.

What're your 3 big frustrations livin' in a surivors paradise?

3) can wait for the multiplayer/npcs!!!!!!!!!!! walking into someone alive would be great,... feels kinda lonely out there with the whole town to yourself :ph34r:

1.  More Useless Stuff

2.  More Stuff to Craft

3.  More Ways To Decorate Your Base - There's more to life than mere survival.  I want to survive in STYLE and LUXURY.  Half of the fun of the world's population turning into brain eating monsters is all the wonderful loot they leave behind.  I'd like my triple walled barricade reinforced fortress to feature Ming Vases, Polar Bear Skin Rugs, Tiffany Chandeliers, Generator Powered 105" Curved Screen 4K TV, Italian Lamb Skin Loafers, and other assorted trappings of the ultra-ultra rich.  I may be eating stale cabbage, but I'm doing it with opulent and decadent panache, bitches!

I'd like to see PZ take a page from Ultima Online (jeezus I'm dating myself) and let players get their "build" on.  Then send in a hopeless horde of zombies to tear it all down and utterly destroy it like a Dread Lord of yester-year.  

I picture "Jennifer Gray" standing atop her fortress balcony in a Mink Coat and Stiletto Heels firing her shotgun into the tsunami of zombies that have finally broken through the outer walls as they pour towards her last refuge.  That's when things get real fun.

I agree with much of what has been said. Some additions.

• Bleach - It is not just for drinking.  ;)  You should be able to use it to clean the blood from your safe house.
  • Bodies - you should be able to move them,  maybe even burn them. (with wood/gas)
  • Furniture - why can't I move a kitchen chair? The only options are to leave it or destroy it with a sledgehammer.

Definitely the OPs one of certain houses having certain loot. Heck we already have guaranteed types of loot at the medical and at the gun shop. Surely we can have random categories too?

I say this with no knowledge of lua etc., of course. I think the devs are amazing.

I also consider the lock picking mod as essential and would love for some starter equipment for certain professions.

So,

1: categorised houses for loot

2: lockpicking

3: starter equipment

1. No dragons

2. No sweetrolls

3. Penalties for going all nude during winter.

Definitely the OPs one of certain houses having certain loot. Heck we already have guaranteed types of loot at the medical and at the gun shop. Surely we can have random categories too?

I say this with no knowledge of lua etc., of course. I think the devs are amazing.

I also consider the lock picking mod as essential and would love for some starter equipment for certain professions.

So,

We do get starter gear, it's all in the house you start in. Also if you need hardware supplies the warehouse or hardware store are always stocked with enough supplies, even if you are on rare. Also I love the idea of lockpicking.

To be serious my big three are

1. No hunting rifles or silencers, I want to turn my park ranger into a master marksmen

2. Lacking of generators

3. Not being able to do graffiti and make effective "HELP" signs or making custom landmarks to know where you are.

I'm sure all those will be added in eventually though and there is already a graffiti mod.

Oh actually I'll go ahead and add a fourth

4. NO BASEMENTS, I really want there to be basements, maybe even a few basements with left over bomb shelters in them.

I agree with much of what has been said. Some additions.

• Bleach - It is not just for drinking.  ;)  You should be able to use it to clean the blood from your safe house.
  • Bodies - you should be able to move them,  maybe even burn them. (with wood/gas)
  • Furniture - why can't I move a kitchen chair? The only options are to leave it or destroy it with a sledgehammer.

Good news for you friend! Numbers 1 and 2 issues for you are something in development. Those are probably both combined for my #5 frustration lol so I can't wait until we can do things about it.

So,

I really need to start testing out mods.

1. No hunting rifles or silencers, I want to turn my park ranger into a master marksmen

2. Lacking of generators

3. Not being able to do graffiti and make effective "HELP" signs or making custom landmarks to know where you are.

I'm sure all those will be added in eventually though and there is already a graffiti mod.

Oh actually I'll go ahead and add a fourth

4. NO BASEMENTS, I really want there to be basements, maybe even a few basements with left over bomb shelters in them.

I'm with you on the inability to paint markers around town. Some cans of spray paint and a small menu of tagging options would go a long way (Mostly directional arrows, and symbols).

I know there are mod out there.  Being in an alpha means reporting bugs.  I don't feel I can give an honest test of the system if I am using the mods that are out there.

If the devs want to give a mod the PZ seal of approval, then I would be down with using it.  Until that time, it is the base game for me.

Unless they get a use to furniture I will just keep destroying it.

Things that i miss in the game:

a map. but not all the map at once but just what you discovered, and one that you can make notes like "don't dead open inside"

cleaning up corpses sounds like a great idea!

Hic sunt dracones!

• 1 month later...

#1 - We need to feel like there was something leading up to Day 1 for the character.  Right it feels like all the humans were instantly turned into Zeds.  The aluminum hat you slept in last night kept you safe, now go figure it out for yourself.  I know why this has not been added, but that does not mean I dont want it right now :)

How could I have been so short-sighted???!!! THE ANSWER!!! (searching the kitchen for aluminiumpaper)

1 - Missing basements: I like to see some subwaystations, sewers, cellars, bunkers... of course spare lighted.

2 - Z' sometimes bite you over a distance where you can not attack them or bites you through an open door which blocks your sight.

4 - Objects and Z throw shade when they are illuminated.

1. Sprinting Crawlers

What is it? A zombie, who can run with his arms? :D

Right now there is some sort of bug/unintended consequence that if you set zombie lore to sprinters, crawlers who see you from a distance stand up, sprint over to you then flop back down and attack.