An alternative system for checking the action of a skill

malkavian407

I don't really like how the skill system is implemented in PZ, you have to constantly grind skills to get basic capabilities. But at the same time, with the full skill leveling of skills, part of the interest in the game disappears. I think the following "mechanics" will work well for PZ (in my vision) - Skill check in the style of tabletop role-playing games, when the skill level affects the success of the action performed, so that our character could have the opportunity after several attempts to build (for example) a water barrel, having the skill "Carpentry 3".(with some complications)

How I see it:
There are 2 requirements for each action or recipe:

1. The minimum level (No more than 3), which is actually a requirement for performing the action.
  2. The recommended level required for ~90% success of the action performed. The lower the current skill level, the lower the chance of success and the greater the resource penalties. With each subsequent skill level, the chance of success increases by a small value, up to 99.5% at level 10, so that further leveling would make more sense.
    Penalty (for example):

The recipe requires more resources and/or more time, (+0-50%, depending on the difference between the Current and Recommended skill level, +5-10% (max 100%, in total) for each unsuccessful attempt within a certain time).
A chance to get a small injury.
Chance to damage the tool...

An example of what the chance of failure will look like, with different values (when creating a ~wooden door):

Minimum skill level - 1.
Recommended - 4.
Current:
0 = 100% failures
1 = 90% failures
2 = 75% failures
3 = 50%
4 = 10%

5 = 8%
6 = 5%
10 = 0.5%

Edited by malkavian407