Reloading benches

Biscuitism

Uhhh.... how does that have anything to do with this?

To put it in perspective: For every insurgent killed in Iraq and Afghanistan (as of 2011) the U.S. fired 250,000 rounds.  Think about it.  These are trained experts at firing a weapon.  A kill shot can hit any part of the insurgent body and potentially kill him.  Yet it still took 250,000 rounds per insurgent killed. Link.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you evidently do not know a THING about modern warfare.  Taking stats out of perspective makes your arguement like a table with one leg, foolish and useless.

The US military has been using a technique called Supressive Fire and Cover Fire since WWII.  The technique basically denies an enemy the ability to poke his head up and take a shot a you, least he risk taking a round for his trouble.  Bullets are EASY to come by, soliders are not.  Even wounding a solider takes three men out of action (the wounded one, a medic and someone else now has to carry the wounded ones load).  US Soliders are trained to shoot center mass BUT they are also taught how to shoot, move and communicate as a unit (fire team, squad, platoon....).  Some times this method means you send a ton of rounds downrange just to keep the enemy on his heals or with his head down.  If the enemy can't shoot you, chance are they wont be able to kill you.  Conversely, we can leap frog up to his position (one soldier taking cover, then using cover fire to allow a buddy to run forward to cover, rinse, later, repeat) and the kill them using the best tool for the job (indirect fire, grenades or simply a shot to center mass).

Zombies don't care and they don't shoot back.  They win by the shere mass of numbers and the "head shot" requirement to put one down.

Next time I'm at my hunting cabin I'll see if I can take some video of me with my bow trying to shoot an arrow with something heavy on the end. Even with my powerful longbow, I doubt it's going to go far- and that's from practical experience, not conjecture.

I would like to see this, because I know is is going to do exactly what you are saying.  I think the only way you could make a "Rambo" arrow would be to attach the explosive device to a scorpio, though I think it is still going to throw of the projectile.

Unfortuantely, Rambo and The Evil Dead 2 lead people to believe things can be shot from long bows/compound bow that has no basis in reality.  A comfortable fiction, like James Bond leads people to believe silencers are whisper quiet :)

I would like to see this, because I know is is going to do exactly what you are saying.  I think the only way you could make a "Rambo" arrow would be to attach the explosive device to a scorpio, though I think it is still going to throw of the projectile.

I still think that an explosive device launched from a bow would go a lot farther than if you simply threw it, regardless of how it compromises the aerodynamics. If that's true then the idea is feasible at the very least.

I still think that an explosive device launched from a bow would go a lot farther than if you simply threw it, regardless of how it compromises the aerodynamics. If that's true then the idea is feasible at the very least.

Feasible, yes.  Practicle, no.  If I am going to make a bomb, then I want to place it.  Not something I just want to fire off willy-nilly.  It is like puting a rocket on the launch pad and damaging a stablilizer.  It will go.  But more important where will it go.

Now if you wanted to volley shoot the arrow and hope it lands, then be my guest.  However, volley firing accurately is harder than just shooting directly at a target.

If you wanted to make something go farther than you can throw it AND someone accurately, then a lawn dart would be in order or maybe a sling (not a sling shot, a real sling).

That's accurate (the steel rods) (I was a cattlehand on a beef ranch for a time), but the device itself is fairly sizable and likely built in. The chances of getting anything practical from it are… unlikely at best. Not to mention there's usually only a few in each state- the drive to ours was pretty long.

Honestly, if we're gonna be making gunpowder from naturally occurring elements (possible, if difficult), then it might be more useful to find other uses for it. One idea I had would be to make black powder pipe bombs with a primitive impact ignition or some kind of makeshift fuse. That way you could tape it to arrows and launch them at a distance for makeshift artillery to use against invading bandit groups or as a distraction to lure zeds away from where you are. You could practice such a method using identical pipes filled with sand to help the archers get used to using the unwieldy ammunition.

I don't think it would be possible to actually launch an arrow with any real weight on the end. The arrow would just tumble unless massively counterbalanced on the other end, at which point they would likely be too heavy to shoot more than 10 feet anyways.

Still ten-feet into a horde, though I am against the idea it would be kind of snicker worthy for a little while to just.. Utterly destroy an entire pack in two shots but then get really, really silly. *Still feels the need to post this, even after the thread had ended.*

*snip*

Also pressing your own ammo requires:

• proper powder in meaured amounts - you need to have a proper scale for this, not some pinch to tablespoon found in your kitchen
  • usable casing
  • primers
  • lead

*snip*

And you also need the right dies for the gun yer usin'.  I would assume that if the zombie invasion happens, unless you have it set up already, your not gonna be makin yer own bullets.

*snip*

Also pressing your own ammo requires:

• proper powder in meaured amounts - you need to have a proper scale for this, not some pinch to tablespoon found in your kitchen
  • usable casing
  • primers
  • lead

*snip*

And you also need the right dies for the gun yer usin'.  I would assume that if the zombie invasion happens, unless you have it set up already, your not gonna be makin yer own bullets.

Good point. I completely forgot about that. 

All this stuff aside no one addressed my point early on about primers.  They are all fired up about the crafting powder or pour their own lead, but no one takes a shot at what makes modern ammunition work.  Take away the primer, and we are back to pouring powder down barrel and putting flame to the pan.

what about a crossbow? i have one that shoots 305fps, wouldnt that be able to fire a weighted arrow mayb the same distance or greater than an unweighted arrow from a recurve bow?

theres a video of someone making these things (explosive arrows) online, only problem is he didnt have a bow and instead shot them out of an air rifle >.>

its just a home modified shotgun shell taped to an arrow shaft, in any case it does work that way, but i could really only see it being dangerous against a human target. you would have to be pretty lucky or score a headshot on a zombie to have a hope of killing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZBQNbsbYiE

still pointless tho because you might as well save ur time modifying the shells and just use them in a shotgun.