Trapping - birds

Toshis

So i've been trapping birds fore some time and there is something weird about it. My safehouse is a 2 story industrial building with a flat roof. I've built 4 bird traps on the roof and whenever i am in the building or outside on the ground level nearby, stick traps never catch birds, i just keep replacing missing bait again and again. But once i drive away with a car and return after some time - traps are full of birds. Do i have to leave for traps to work, am i wasting bait by staying in the building or is it just a coincidence? (its multiplayer btw, if it makes any difference).

Traps can only catch something if the area is unloaded.

-- check if an animal is caught (every hour)
function STrapGlobalObject:checkForAnimal(square)
    -- you won't find an animal if a player is near the trap, so we check the trap only if it's streamed
    if square then
        -- (note turbo) if square~=nil do a check to see if theres any hoppables near the trap, this is an exploit to make traps invincible to zombie damage.
        -- when placing the trap it does check for hoppables, but a window frame could be placed afterwards.
        -- when this is the case, remove bait and animals if any.
        if self:checkForWallExploit(square) then
            self:removeAnimal();
            self:removeBait()
        end
        return;
    end

I think that areas are split into chunks so minimum range will vary with location.

By placing traps closer and closer, I figured out that the unloaded range from my base in that direction is 93 tiles:

screenshot_17-01-2022_15-51-03.png.92eccc11ebe705cfc55105e0a076fddf.png

Thank you. Kind of disappointing, player has to do guesswork on trap distance and that birds are "afraid" to land on the roof of the building while someone is in the building.

Maybe it could be changed that animals are scared away by the amount of noise player makes and not if the player is in the area or not. look how close this wolf came to human, because that woman was quietly standing:

1 minute ago, Pandorea said:

There is a PZ wiki for this kind of thing :) and this is what it says: (traps will not catch anything with the player being within 75 tiles of them)

I did look at wiki, but quickly glanced at it, didnt notice that part, sorry :)

On 1/17/2022 at 7:02 PM, Pandorea said:

There is a PZ wiki for this kind of thing :) and this is what it says: (traps will not catch anything with the player being within 75 tiles of them)

Couldn't find where it is. Please mention the link and para.

Archived