Space Engine

LeoIvanov

Recently found out about this game. Imagine Kerbal Space program on inter-galactical scale, where you can fly on surface of any planet and explore any object like you do in it. Remove the "ship building" mechanic in it, and you get a game called "Space Engine".

In it you LITERALLY explore the space, and when I say space, I mean the biggest cluster of galaxies, where each star in the galaxy can be zoomed to and explored. If you still have no idea how big it is, watch the video made by Scott Manley. Been subscribed to that man for a while for his KSP vids, and this game intrigued me a lot.

What I found the most interesting is how he was able to fly very close to the earth-like planet and see water, mountains and planet's surface at CRAZY detail + it's scale. Then zoom out, showing just HOW actually big this game is.

The best part about it, the game is COMPLETELY free. They accept the donations though, which I'm highly positive about. There's the website. http://en.spaceengine.org/

AND they also made a trailer...

Looks like a sort of exploration library of space. If I were to imagine KSP on an intergalactic scale this wouldn't be it, but the tech behind it looks impressive for a small and free game, if you can call it that.

Just doesn't seem to have much substance behind it; I can see myself getting bored of this very quickly. I'd imagine this sort of thing would be more appealing to anyone who actively engages in astronomy.

• 1 month later...

I like how space sims are coming back almost out of nowhere, Kinetic void, Kerbal, Star citizen there's allot of promising stuff.

I wouldn't call it out of nowhere - i'm sure it's been on some developers minds, but the hardware just wasn't really at a level to tackle 'scale' like these newcomers do now.