About nicotine addiction

Slau

Had a nice game moments ago - went outside for a cig and thought "What if your character could develop some sort of nicotine addiction, since you can smoke cigs in the game"

I started thinking about this idea and tried to search for possible threads regarding this matter of subject, either I failed or there is none. Either way I found this from PZwiki:

"It is planned that characters will become addicted to cigarettes if they take too many."

source: http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Cigarette

At the moment I'm kinda curious how this is going to be developed, if developed. I came up with this idea aswell! 

Nicotine addiction as a trait

- Negative trait

- Have to smoke occasionally to keep character's mind and hands calm (don't know about yours, my hands does indeed shake if I havent had a cig for a while)

At this point while writing this very sentence I gave it a thought "But wait a second, the addiction decreases overtime, doesn't it?" But then again what is average lifespan in PZ? My first 6 attempts were merely 4 days long!

If addiction is to be added in to the game, some sort of positive buff would be nice if character smokes. For example some sort of "Focused" buff which would give some focus while aiming/shooting and/or making character feel relaxed or feel better (at least I do). Personally I would say addiction system would be nice, since it would bring some depth in character you're playing on.

Anyway, 1st post from me. Bash me gently.

smoking cigarettes does decrease panic and stress I believe... which is a good benefit and increases your awareness and aim (due to being calmer etc). but you have that addicted thing going which means you have to smoke every now and then and you need a lighter and more and more cigarettes.

the effect of the cold turkey from cigarettes wear off after a couple of days, so no problems here. you can easily survive some weeks after you made the learning curve. of course, bad things happen, you never know.

anyway... smoking could also reduce boredom (don't know if it does atm...)

negative trait to start already addictedt would be neat, i approve.

• 2 weeks later...

Um okay, but it would be cool if your character would die of lung cancer if they keep smoking for sixty- seventy years.

I was going to say this. And even if you don't get lung cancer, your health overall would slowly degrade and your lifespan as a whole would be shortened.

Still pretty damn painful.

As opposed to being eaten alive?..... I'll take asphyxiation any day. As for the other long term side effects, I've been smoking for 11 years & the only time I even notice the emphysema is when I'm endurance running or full on sprinting.... I seriously cant say with any certainty that, given my lifestyle, that I could do better than that anyways.

I bought one.... working up the motivation to quit, doing a couple of days a week atm :)

Back on topic though, I had a health scare a few months ago when I started getting chest pains. My initial reaction was "Oh CRAP! I smoke!" but after getting checked out my only problems were an iron deficiency (your heat starts beating faster to try & compensate, like 110 bpm at rest), a Vitamin D deficiency & the light emphysema....

Even with the proper safety gear, I'm pretty sure the fumes & other crap I breath in while fabricating are doing more harm than smoking.... Have you ever seen how the smoke from galvanized coatings act? It solidifies.... Seriously, the SMOKE SOLIDIFIES into this stuff that looks like spiderwebs. The thought that I might have that in my lungs is scary  :o

Um okay, but it would be cool if your character would die of lung cancer if they keep smoking for sixty- seventy years.

I was going to say this. And even if you don't get lung cancer, your health overall would slowly degrade and your lifespan as a whole would be shortened.

well I wouldnt wanna see cancer in this game and stuff like that... but there maybe could be a punishment for smoking a lot when it comes to stamina

Yeah, good to see that. Kinda of sucks a bunch of places are banning E-cigs when all they give off is a bit of water vapor. 

They're legal in Australia but if we want cartomisers with nicotine in them you have to import them :huh:

well I wouldnt wanna see cancer in this game and stuff like that... but there maybe could be a punishment for smoking a lot when it comes to stamina

That's what I what I was getting at though.... Compare the "stamina" of a person that smokes with the "stamina" of a person of a similar fitness level, that doesn't smoke, & you wont see much of a difference unless the smoker has been at it for 10-20 years