Balancing water

Kapsar

So obviously the water balance issue seems to be discussed quite a bit. I've changed this thread to focus more on fixing the water balance issues

Post your ideas and arguments for or against points made by others in a respectful manner and hopefully we can spark some good ideas :)

Sorry If I have misinterpreted you but it sounds like the first part of your idea is referring infected animals? If I am correct it has actually been stated as one of the "big no's" that there will be no zombie animals.... Although I spose its possible your talking about animals dying from being bitten. Sorry I'm unclear on that point.... Care to elaborate?

As for the second part, the zombies aren't actually caused by a virus. Personally I would prefer that these types of situations be avoided in the game as it draws attention to the nature of the zombies which is to remain unspecified.

Welcome to the forums :)

Sorry If I have misinterpreted you but it sounds like the first part of your idea is referring infected animals? If I am correct it has actually been stated as one of the "big no's" that there will be no zombie animals.... Although I spose its possible your talking about animals dying from being bitten. Sorry I'm unclear on that point.... Care to elaborate?

As for the second part, the zombies aren't actually caused by a virus. Personally I would prefer that these types of situations be avoided in the game as it draws attention to the nature of the zombies which is to remain unspecified.

Sorry for the failure to make my point clear, it's mainly with animals and infection that if an animal is bitten they will not reanimate as I'm pretty sure it would not be lore friendly,more or less if an animal is infected it will die and not reanimate

Secondly I don't think the idea of water infection would relate to the disease being implied as a virus, but more or less if a rotting zombie is in a well I wouldn't imagine the water would be 100% clean

I appreciate the feedback a lot

According to the devs the infection may well be an act of god, a wizard, or voodoo; in such cases, zombie being in the water or not would make little difference.

So, tossing aside science as a plausible reason for this, we must simply view it as "would it add meaningful content to the game or not?"

As for that, it's hard to say. I'm not sure I would be for it- after all, very few people still use 'open' wells anymore. Also, although you don't always see this, wells these days are often covered with a wooden or metal hatch to keep things (like animals, or zombies =P ) from falling in.

So, from that point, you've got to decide whether it would be worth programming in that function for probably only one well on the entire map, and for that I would juncture to say 'no.'

It's an interesting idea, and I'd like to hear more ways it could be implemented with a more meaningful impact. I do like the idea of making water a more valuable resource again.

According to the devs the infection may well be an act of god, a wizard, or voodoo; in such cases, zombie being in the water or not would make '

It's an interesting idea, and I'd like to hear more ways it could be implemented with a more meaningful impact. I do like the idea of making water a more valuable resource again.

Many thanks for the lore advice! Unfortunately I'm currently puzzled on an idea to make water much more valuable and since the animal idea is out of the window it leaves the idea to balance water, a thread I believe already stated.

Currently the smallest ideas that come to mind being the well as a highly valued object is the fact of using NPCs such as possibly a hostile farmer who will warn the player similar to the supermarket npc before shooting the player. Or possibly a raider group who will act very similar. Making the well a resource the player has to fight for and not just simply get an infinite supply of water without a struggle.

I'm pretty sure this a difficult subject to tackle and myself alone probably will not come up with a solution

Aye, I think once NPC's are in (and refined a bit), having them focus on certain valuable resources would certainly be a good way to keep the wells within proper risk/reward levels.

What worries me, though, are the rain barrels. To be honest (as I  mentioned in another thread) I think the best thing that could happen to rain barrels would be if we had a more realistic weather system that had weeks without rain (as Kentucky is likely to get several times a year) and to have serious drought, where it only rains once or so a month (which Kentucky also gets with some frequency). In these ways, if you just have water barrels and nothing else, you're liable to run into some problems for your unpreparedness.

I think having water slowly evaporate during the summer (from all containers- very slowly) would be a good way to realistically balance things as well.

A realistic weather system Would be good since evaporation and droughts would balance the rain barrels, making the wells very valuable, to when the npc system is refined the well could be guarded or a high frequency raider target. Creating some sort of balance so the well isn't a easy prize and that rain barrels are not easily filled.

in regards to the rain barrels, will it be possible to go to the river by muldraugh and fill watering cans, maybe even use them to add water to the rain barrels? while dodging zombies of course.

because that certainly seems like a task you could assign to a few NPC's

in regards to the rain barrels, will it be possible to go to the river by muldraugh and fill watering cans, maybe even use them to add water to the rain barrels? while dodging zombies of course.

because that certainly seems like a task you could assign to a few NPC's

Personally I don't see why not! Possibly even the river could dry up from a drought leaving water another scarce resource. If you fill up a enough barrels in advance to this you could last for some time hoping you survive that long

Sorry for the failure to make my point clear, it's mainly with animals and infection that if an animal is bitten they will not reanimate as I'm pretty sure it would not be lore friendly,more or less if an animal is infected it will die and not reanimate

Secondly I don't think the idea of water infection would relate to the disease being implied as a virus, but more or less if a rotting zombie is in a well I wouldn't imagine the water would be 100% clean

I appreciate the feedback a lot

Good point, I plain old wouldn't drink from a well with a corpse in it.... let alone a rotten, previously reanimated corpse :D

Well my original post was about

Water infection

I didn't really brush up on the lore and the topic derailed into balancing water barrels,a thread I do believe is already done

If that is not the mistake please do tell me and I'll happily resolve it