When vomiting gets inevitably added to the game, could there be a server/playthrough setting to disable it? For folks with Emetophobia.

DresdenBBQ

As the title says, vomiting will most definetly be added to the game at some point. I get it, it's a natural response of the body and it's in most survival games and especially with upcoming trait reworks. It makes sense that it would be added as a mechanic to probably interact with 'weak stomach' which currently doesn't do much. That being said, I implore the devs to please add a button to disable it in world options. I have a really good friend with emetophobia, but anytime a game adds it in or comes out with it it's instantly off the table because it's incredibly difficult for them to deal with. Emetophobia is also one of if not the most common fear in the world, Adding an option to disable it wouldn't really impact any real gameplay, and it'd allow me to continue playing with my friend, as well as others who have it to play it as well. Please and thank ya'll. 

6 hours ago, DresdenBBQ said:

"vomiting will most definetly be added to the game at some point."

Ummm you don't know that, we still don't have and as guaranteed in the BIG NO list we will never have personal hygiene from brushing teeth to going into bathroom and as Toshis said (so it's not definetly going to be added, if it gets added at all), googling this shows that only 0.1% of population have this phobia. This could slip into the game as a minor feature after you eat 27 cabbages under an hour or maybe rotten and poisoned food, but virtual vomit is nothing like it's in reality, it's one thing to feel/see/hear/ vomit and someone vomiting that pale half disolved disgusting smelling chicken skin and chewed peas in slury brown-ish liquid then virually just looking at someone spewing green liquid. I just can't stand near someone who's vomiting from hangover or actually being sick, but I don't mind seeing it virtually, I quite enjoyed feeding CJ (GTA San Andreas) with 20 extra large meals after whitch he stands up and goes into vomiting animation where he threows up green ectoplasm.

3 hours ago, The Nine Tailed Fox said:

Ummm you don't know that, we still don't have and as guaranteed in the BIG NO list we will never have personal hygiene from brushing teeth to going into bathroom and as Toshis said (so it's not definetly going to be added, if it gets added at all), googling this shows that only 0.1% of population have this phobia. This could slip into the game as a minor feature after you eat 27 cabbages under an hour or maybe rotten and poisoned food, but virtual vomit is nothing like it's in reality, it's one thing to feel/see/hear/ vomit and someone vomiting that pale half disolved disgusting smelling chicken skin and chewed peas in slury brown-ish liquid then virually just looking at someone spewing green liquid. I just can't stand near someone who's vomiting from hangover or actually being sick, but I don't mind seeing it virtually, I quite enjoyed feeding CJ (GTA San Andreas) with 20 extra large meals after whitch he stands up and goes into vomiting animation where he threows up green ectoplasm.

.1 percent of the population is still 78 million people dawg, which is no small amount of folks. We're talkin on the scale of the human race here, even decimals like '.1' are still A LOT! I've known two folks personally over my lifetime that have had it/do have it. We've all most likely met more, but it's not exactly the first thing we tell about ourselves, especially since genuine phobias are usually from deeprooted psychological trauma and not the girl in math class who goes "EW! A cockroach!" Also the second point does not matter. As I said earlier, genuine phobias are usually the seat of deeprooted psychological trauma. It depends on the person with the phobia since all of our brains are wired differently, but in this case it's not about the act but the memories and panic it invokes. You might have a difference in the severity of reaction of something as grotesque as real vomit versus video game vomit, but if it all causes a severe form of panic it doesn't matter. It still all causes severe panic. Also vomiting has nothing to do with hygeniene, and usually is just a reaction to a bad stimuli. Upset stomach, body's response to thinking it's eaten poison, (WE know a lot of bleach drinkers and poison berry eaters in this game) or simply that it's eaten too much. (Though I found the last one usually doesn't happen in real life, your tum tum just hurts instead. But anyway my point is that SHOULD they add it, just to add a server option to turn it off. I'm not here to discuss or debate people's personal relationships with their phobia's, how they work, or how many people have them. Just to make a humble request as emetophobia is a common fear (Again, 78 million people is a third of the population of the United States, and more population than Great Britain) and it should be an easy workaround to just put in an off switch.

Side note, 0,1 percent of 7,8 billion is 7,8 million :)

Personally it dont mind if there was such option or not. So here are my thoughts, think how many different phobias are out there (maybe hundreds, maybe thousands, dont know), what if all those people with all those different phobias started demanding game developers and movie makers to change their products based on their personal fears? I am afraid of spiders - remove them, i am afraid of heights - remove scenes with high locations, fear of lightning - remove it, fear of tight spaces - remove it and so on. What the end product would look like? All distorted and far from original vision? In reality it doesnt seem to be a common practice for businesses to change their products based on phobias people might have. 30% of people are afraid of spiders and yet many popular rpgs and mmos have spiders. Its just too many different phobias, why a game or movie should be adjusted to one but not the others? People might call it discrimination. Think its too much of a hassle for game developers to do it. They stick to their original vision of their product and if someone cant handle it, its their problem to work it out.

edit:

also, think that physical incapabilities like color blindness and phobias arent the same. You cant change your eyes, there is no cure yet, but you can work on your fears, make them less overwhelming with some (or a lot) effort. Its a way of thinking.

edit #2:

For example, many years ago, when i was child, i was afraid of blood. When doctor took blood from me, i fainted (happened more than once). I got over it on my own, now it doesnt bother me as much, nothing bad happens. You can overcome your fears, its a fact. Dont be fucking lazy and work on yourself.

Imagine how hard it is when you even lose consciousness in the sight of something and then overcoming it. Fear of vomiting seems like a joke in comparison, no offense.

Edited by Toshis

4 hours ago, DresdenBBQ said:

.1 percent of the population is still 78 million people dawg, which is no small amount of folks. We're talkin on the scale of the human race here, even decimals like '.1' are still A LOT! I've known two folks personally over my lifetime that have had it/do have it. We've all most likely met more, but it's not exactly the first thing we tell about ourselves, especially since genuine phobias are usually from deeprooted psychological trauma and not the girl in math class who goes "EW! A cockroach!" Also the second point does not matter. As I said earlier, genuine phobias are usually the seat of deeprooted psychological trauma. It depends on the person with the phobia since all of our brains are wired differently, but in this case it's not about the act but the memories and panic it invokes. You might have a difference in the severity of reaction of something as grotesque as real vomit versus video game vomit, but if it all causes a severe form of panic it doesn't matter. It still all causes severe panic. Also vomiting has nothing to do with hygeniene, and usually is just a reaction to a bad stimuli. Upset stomach, body's response to thinking it's eaten poison, (WE know a lot of bleach drinkers and poison berry eaters in this game) or simply that it's eaten too much. (Though I found the last one usually doesn't happen in real life, your tum tum just hurts instead. But anyway my point is that SHOULD they add it, just to add a server option to turn it off. I'm not here to discuss or debate people's personal relationships with their phobia's, how they work, or how many people have them. Just to make a humble request as emetophobia is a common fear (Again, 78 million people is a third of the population of the United States, and more population than Great Britain) and it should be an easy workaround to just put in an off switch.

Ah and again Toshis is right, I don't mind this feature too, but let's work on another few, for my thalassophobia we NEED to have a feture that removes all lakes in the game, for my aquaphobia yeah no Ohio and smaller rivers have to go asap, for my claustrophobia we need to remove all of the houses on the map, for my achropobia we need to remove buildings larger that one floor. Unless you want me and many others to die from these 300% more common phobias then you should better hurry up convincing devs to add this.

On 1/9/2022 at 12:11 PM, Toshis said:

Side note, 0,1 percent of 7,8 billion is 7,8 million :)

edit:

also, think that physical incapabilities like color blindness and phobias arent the same. You cant change your eyes, there is no cure yet, but you can work on your fears, make them less overwhelming with some (or a lot) effort. Its a way of thinking.

edit #2:

For example, many years ago, when i was child, i was afraid of blood. When doctor took blood from me, i fainted (happened more than once). I got over it on my own, now it doesnt bother me as much, nothing bad happens. You can overcome your fears, its a fact. Dont be fucking lazy and work on yourself.

Imagine how hard it is when you even lose consciousness in the sight of something and then overcoming it. Fear of vomiting seems like a joke in comparison, no offense.

Severity if fears depends on the individual though I will grant you that I was wrong on my number calculations. My bad, but I still don't really understand the point. I'm half making a personal request and half simply making a point that it wouldn't be a difficult feature to add nor detract anythin in the process. Simply adding an off switch, not removing any features from the game. I will say that while your argument about other phobia's doesn't have anything to do with emetophobia and is a bit of a slippery slope, stuff like spiders you can always run away from or avoid areas you know they'll be, you can turn off the sound of lightnin and you can avoid high places if you're afraid of heights. All of these things are more or less avoidable, the thing with emetophbia is most of the time, vomit isn't, and if your character does it unprompted then there's usually not enough time to react until you're exposed to it. Vomit is such a natural and sudden reaction that a dozen different things cause it and it happens so quickly that usually it's unavoidable. It would just be a server setting, like zombie count or gas consumption. Also folks severity of phobia's depends on the person and the way it came about. Phobia's from somethin like trauma are much more deeply rooted than phobia's caused by social conditioning and upbringing. Some phobia's take decades to overcome, some a matter of years so while it's good that you were able to get over that phobia of yours. For others the path might not be so straightforward, but that's all offtopic. I do appreciate you trying to engage but I'm unsure why you're against it, it's a simple suggestion. If the devs feel obliged to add it they can, if not understandable that they'd have bigger fish to fry with NPC's coming up. I just really wanted to be able to play this game with someone who's special to me is all, and if vomit was added they wouldn't be able to. It's that simple. 

On 1/9/2022 at 2:20 PM, The Nine Tailed Fox said:

Ah and again Toshis is right, I don't mind this feature too, but let's work on another few, for my thalassophobia we NEED to have a feture that removes all lakes in the game, for my aquaphobia yeah no Ohio and smaller rivers have to go asap, for my claustrophobia we need to remove all of the houses on the map, for my achropobia we need to remove buildings larger that one floor. Unless you want me and many others to die from these 300% more common phobias then you should better hurry up convincing devs to add this.

I think you're ignoring my points here, I'm not talking about phobia's that would compromise the integrity of the game and I don't really enjoy the slippery slope argument of more outrageous examples. What you've said would effect core parts of the game. Without water there is no fishing, nor is there swimming which will prolly be added and important. I don't think I need to explain why clausterophobia and achrophobia are absolutely absurd too, you picked them cause they were. My point is emetophobia is easily preventable, a simple server option to switch it off. Literally all I'm suggesting, it's not like I said don't add it to the game, just add a way to turn it off. You can't do that with most other phobia's. Even common fears, getting rid of spiders could be as easy as deleting some game files. This not so much. Some folks might simply just not enjoy playing with vomiting and think it's an annoying mechanic. I couldn't tell you how many times my character magically threw up for seemingly little reason in DayZ cause I ate a *LITTLE* too much beans for his liking. Anyway, I've already made my suggestion. I don't know if I can lock my own thread, but I'll cease replying now. Take care y'all.