Optional fast forward in MP

P0loski

One of the things I've noticed when playing with my friends is that nobody wants to read skill books because it's super slow, and unlike SP, you don't have the benefit of using fast forward. However, we can already enable/disable sleep in MP for small/coop servers, which is a form of fast forward.

What I suggest is that an option could be added to enable or disable fast forward in MP, and the way it could work would be if every player in the server (again, intended for super small servers) presses the same speed button, i.e x4, then time will go forward faster.

19 hours ago, Toshis said:

There could be server setting - skill book read speed multiplier. Especially useful for larger servers, where it is unlikely that every player will hit fast forward at the same time.

You know, that's even better, and like you said it could benefit all kinds of servers

Edited by P0loski

On 1/8/2022 at 6:39 PM, Toshis said:

There could be server setting - skill book read speed multiplier. Especially useful for larger servers, where it is unlikely that every player will hit fast forward at the same time.

C:>Users>"Username">Zomboid>Server>servertest.ini

MinutesPerPage="X" 

The lower the number, the faster you read books. We have ours set to 0.1

4 hours ago, CaptKaspar said:

C:>Users>"Username">Zomboid>Server>servertest.ini

MinutesPerPage="X" 

The lower the number, the faster you read books. We have ours set to 0.1

I was not aware of this, I didn't find anything on the server setup screen, but in the meantime this will do, thank you very much

• 1 year later...

Maybe there could be multiple server options, like:

(1) Fast forward is available, but only to server admins; or

(2) Fast forward is available, but only the lowest FF setting currently in use by any player applies (makes it so teams can FF if they ALL choose to, and it stops if any of them stop it); or

As an aside, it might also be nice if there was on option to simply make skill books and magazines instantly consumable (i.e., set read time to 0).  Maybe that option already exists -- not sure. 

I'd hate to increase reading speed... gaining knowledge by risking losing precious time (in-game not real time!) should be a decision I have to make. In fact I'd love to reduce the reading speed as it is ridiculous high at the moment but it is unbearable to watch my char reading and I shouldn't be forced to. A voting system for a general ff would be awesome... so some of us could sleep while others read or clean their stuff