As a human I find this feature very wrong.

Irken Empire

Simple as that, I'm outraged because I lost two of my favourite shell suits one green and one cyan/pink and hey there's a bonus to damaged clothing, oh how unexpected.I got a fcking bleeding scratch. Phew is it that bad, it can't be, it's only a scratch? Nah if you consider 50% of you upper and lower body dead then nah. Both times I WALKED through a PINE TREE and first vicous tree attack was on the right forearm which gave me a fcked up attacking speed and demage debuff, half a day later while I was going to the warehouse in Muldraught I walked through another single pine tree and got scratched on the right thigh which made me LIMP around and ruined my green shell suit pants! I'm not as angry on the abnormally stupid debuffs caused by questionably appearing woudns (pine tree bark is the last thing that'll hurt you in your life on this planet) , but rather the fact that clothing is ruined and taloirng makes it look like I'm a hobo. This leads me to believe that devs only experienced trees while watching final destination or through books and stories. My point is this half-assed feature should be just erased because it just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, that's not a feature I'm fond of.  I grew up rural and spent a lot of my youth running around in forests and cornfields in the same kinds of forests you'd find in this game, seeing as it was probably 300 miles away from Muldraugh, KY. For over a decade I did so,  and not often was my clothing damaged by it,  just a small hole from a thorn or broken tree branch, but it was quite rare. And the only injuries to myself from running around were slight scratches on my forearms and forehead.  Not bad enough to even really bleed. The biggest problem was picking up ticks or barbed seeds on your shoelaces and stuff like that.

It's not like the trees have razor blades in them. People instinctively know how to protect themselves from limbs and such.

19 minutes ago, BoogieMan said:

Yeah, that's not a feature I'm fond of.  I grew up rural and spent a lot of my youth running around in forests and cornfields in the same kinds of forests you'd find in this game, seeing as it was probably 300 miles away from Muldraugh, KY. For over a decade I did so, never often my clothing damaged by it, sometimes a small hole from a thorn or broken tree branch, but it was quite rare. And the only injuries to myself from running around were slight scratches on my forearms and forehead.  Not bad enough to even really bleed. The biggest problem was picking up ticks or barbed seeds on your shoelaces and stuff like that.

It's not like the trees have razor blades in them and people instinctively know how to protect themselves from limbs and such.

Same here, I can relate to everything you've said, I grew up in a rural area and I loved spending time in the forest, I had a little stream where I used to play and I loved foraging for mushrooms throughout the forest, the only wounds I got were the same as yours, ok there was this one time when I was 8-10 that my fingertip got impailed on a thorn so I got scared and pulled it which caused it to bleed a few specs of blood. Clothing, same case as yours, branch or something else caused a tiny hole but nothing special and it was rare.

My character recently got stabbed to the neck by a tree, and it was bleeding a lot despite being just a scratch.

It was like winning a lottery, because I had the Outdoorsman trait (which dramatically reduces the chance of getting injured when walking through tress) :D

• 4 weeks later...

I do have to agree on this. I too grew up in a rural area. Running through trees does not damage clothing anywhere near the extent it does in this game. Walking or even running through a hedge should not put a gaping hole in a bullet proof vest and the jacket under it. I lost a character to a bite because the bullet proof vest he was wearing got scratched by a bush.

• 3 weeks later...

I would agree with this based on my experience as a youth in the 60s/70s but NOT based on recent experience.  I own a few acres of woods and have been clearing out an invasive tree/shrub, i.e., buckthorn.  That stuff fights back!  Every time I end up with scratches and cuts from the thorns.  It even ripped open one spot on my chainsaw chaps.

So maybe Kentucky has been overrun with killer buckthorn.  ;)

Archived