I can't play with mods

sp0ilerssweetie

Question

I bought PZ from Steam a couple of weeks ago and I can play vanilla saves with no apparent problems, but if I click "Mods" in the main menu or try to connect to a modded game, my game closes out completely. I've tried everything I can think of: reinstalling, verifying file integrity, subscribing to a mod on the workshop, probably some other steps that I can't remember (sorry). Can you offer a fix?

Edited to add: Windows10, current PZ release. Have also tried running as administrator, deleting c\user\zomboid, deleting PZ from secondary drive where it was first installed and reinstalling on C drive. Same result, crash to desktop at suggestion of introducing mods.

hs_err_pid2720.log logs.zip

7 answers to this question

20 hours ago, Beard said:

Unusual, can you try going to C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid and deleting everything there except the "saves" folder? Seems like the game itself fails to access the mods folder so perhaps resetting the settings might help.

Just tried that, same outcome. I agree with you that it seems like PZ can't access/make changes in the mods folder.

It feels like the error happens at the moment when I'd expect the game to trigger a UAC popup to make changes to files, which has never occurred.

This inspired me to go check that PZ is allowed through my firewall, which it already was. I also tried turning my UAC setting to "never notify" but this didn't change the outcome so I reverted that setting as "never notify" is not recommended.

Attached latest log.zip and error log in case they reveal anything useful.

hs_err_pid12688.log logs.zip

Could you try unsubscribing from any mods you have? Then go to the "Steam\steamapps\workshop" folder and delete the "appworkshop_108600" and the "108600" folder in the "content" folder, this should reset the workshop folder and see if that still crashes. If it does, try subscribing to a single mod to recreate the folders. 

On 1/7/2022 at 10:41 AM, Pandorea said:

Afaik, if you want to join a game that uses mods you need to have those same mods loaded and enabled on your pc. 

Even if I've installed mods from workshop before launching the game, if I select Mods at main menu (to activate mods) or try to join a modded game, PZ immediately closes.

Archived