suggestion - action to clear broken glass from window

Pojo2k8

Newspaper/magazine and duct tape would be useful to do it without injury as well. As far as duct tape and window, as long as it still made a bit of noise (glass still crunches a bit when struck), I'd be totally up for that as well.

All we need is one of those little hammers for shattering car windows. It makes barely any noise.

315UK-6gOSL._SY300_.jpg

Newspaper/magazine and duct tape would be useful to do it without injury as well. As far as duct tape and window, as long as it still made a bit of noise (glass still crunches a bit when struck), I'd be totally up for that as well.

All we need is one of those little hammers for shattering car windows. It makes barely any noise.

315UK-6gOSL._SY300_.jpg

The shattering of the glass would still create quite a bit of noise. Can't find the best video, so this was all I could find, but the audio dips when they shatter the glass with one.

Skip to 4:42

Ductape would be an easy to reinforce a window and if it did break it wouldn't make much noise.

I think there is an echo in here :P

Thought you meant just using it to clear the glass, not reinforcement.

I think it would be cool if you had a chance to cut yourself going through broken windows based on your panic level.

Once the medical system is overhauled I could see this getting implemented.

315UK-6gOSL._SY300_.jpg

The shattering of the glass would still create quite a bit of noise. Can't find the best video, so this was all I could find, but the audio dips when they shatter the glass with one.

But we're not breaking a car window, just a small pane of glass. Tapping a window pane enough to crack it wouldn't make much noise.

There's also the old school way of breaking a window pane like in 1940's movies. When a gangster wants to B&E a house without making much noise, he'd take off his hat, place the top against the pane, punch into the hat and then open the window.

315UK-6gOSL._SY300_.jpg

But we're not breaking a car window, just a small pane of glass. Tapping a window pane enough to crack it wouldn't make much noise.

There's also the old school way of breaking a window pane like in 1940's movies. When a gangster wants to B&E a house without making much noise, he'd take off his hat, place the top against the pane, punch into the hat and then open the window.

I still think it would make a bit of noise. I also not quite sure how effective the top hat trick is. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Using a thick blanket to get through a broken window works, even a deas body along the base of the window would work.

But the fastest way is with a baton. Smashing the window then flicking the baton around the edges usually clears most.of the glass out. Before entry, using gloves for grip and safety climb through on your boot so zerp chance of injury.

But what about pvc double glazing? How does that work? It might be faster using a crow bar on the hinges of the window than braking the glass?

But what about pvc double glazing? How does that work? It might be faster using a crow bar on the hinges of the window than braking the glass?

?

I assume the darthdrake is refering to more modern windows.  I think the game assume all windows are standard, old school single pane.  If I am not mistaken the pvc double glazing makes the windows "shatter" proof.  Requires a LOT more effort to break in, requiring you to make a lot more noise to try and defeat the system.

Thats the type of window used in cars correct?

Yes and no.  The front window will "freeze" up (where it goes all cracky but holds), while the side and back windows do not (in case you have to get out).  I say this with the caveat that individual car manafacurers, after market changes and consumer whims can impact what sort of glass you have.  That said, you are still suppose to abide by the NTSB's protocols along with local and state regs.

I actually put some security glazing on the bigger windows in my house as an additional line of protection for hurricane season.  You can take a sledgehammer to the glass, causing it to star and deform.  However, it takes more than a few hits to finally cave it in.  Uline actually sells it.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-18622/Protection-Tapes/60-x-25-Security-Window-Film-Rolls?pricode=WU351&gadtype=pla&id=34610388802&gclid=CPzT2fCejbwCFUpk7AodMGIAHg&gclsrc=aw.ds

?

I assume the darthdrake is refering to more modern windows.  I think the game assume all windows are standard, old school single pane.  If I am not mistaken the pvc double glazing makes the windows "shatter" proof.  Requires a LOT more effort to break in, requiring you to make a lot more noise to try and defeat the system.

Just to throw my two pence in here - Double glazing windows are hard to break in general when hitting the centre of them - like a zombie would do. They're quite easy to break by taking a hammer to one of the corners, however. As with most modern glass, it's shatterproof, similar to most car windshields, and can be cleared away relatively hazard free with a sleeve (the odd minor cut or scratch, but nothing serious or artery-slashing).

Not sure if we'll ever see double glazing in game though.

Why not? Would make choosing a safehouse more interesting. 

Hey, we can do something like this now.  What about using two to four rolls of duct tape on a window?  It would have the additional benefit of blocking line of sight.  Maybe add the equivelant of a level 1 barricade to a window.