Trying to build second floor

Olgoy-Horhoy

Hello everyone!

I'm building my little safe fortress but can't understand how to make second level. I belive it's possible because I saw that on screenshoots (for example http://cdn4.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/108600/ss_52a9cea24c9d205a2d3462ca9ccba6d8bdf61e6f.1920x1080.jpg?t=1384539150).

I couldn't find any information on wiki or this forum so, can anyone help? After I make the stairs, how can I force my character to build above ground floor?

Thank you!

It's currently bugged so the game will crash if you do it. If you really want to try, build a stair, stand on top of it, build a couple of floor if you got the materials, climb down, climb back up. You will fall to the ground with a broken leg. Soon after your game will crash.

That happened to me; I tried to climb out onto a roof and fell two stories down. :mad:

I also noticed that the staris can only be rotated in two directions, and not 360 - so placement is limited.

I just realized my current safehouse is the one in that screenshot. Only this one doesn't have a ridiculous great wall around it.

Seen it used a few times. That fence would do a good job of slowing zombies down.

I love that house, I wish it had a second floor.  The reason I like it so much is that it has a "Master Suite" in which the bedroom is attached to the bathroom; it makes for easy getting around when storing things after a pillaging run, but more importantly, it makes for a bigger and more effective last stand fort since you have access to water in the bathroom and a bed in the other.

Sorry to change topics, couldn't help giving that house some props.  :)

I just realized my current safehouse is the one in that screenshot. Only this one doesn't have a ridiculous great wall around it.

Seen it used a few times. That fence would do a good job of slowing zombies down.

Son, going ridiculously far off topic is what we do!

Son, going ridiculously far off topic is what we do!

Did you guys saw last week football game ?

So, as it stands, are we unable to build higher than ground level? Say I want to build a crate on top of another crate, or put a roof over my porch. How is this accomplished? I cannot seem to locate any information on this in the wiki or game website, or even a post talking about it (too many posts to weed through, I gave up after 2 hrs looking).

So, as it stands, are we unable to build higher than ground level? Say I want to build a crate on top of another crate, or put a roof over my porch. How is this accomplished? I cannot seem to locate any information on this in the wiki or game website, or even a post talking about it (too many posts to weed through, I gave up after 2 hrs looking).

The only way to build a roof on something is to get up to the level above it and build a floor, which currently is impossible because of the bug. As far as the crates are concerned, I don't think it's possible to stack crates on top of each other as the player. Even when vertical construction was working properly, if you got up above your crates to place another you'd be significantly higher than the ones on the floor below it, so you'd just be building a crate floating in the air above the others. Unless they've implemented some kind of gravity system that would make those higher crates fall, which I don't think they have.

If you're dead set on experimenting with vertical building right now you can play the stable Desura build if you wanted. It's only bugged in the Steam builds. Works perfectly well on Desura. The only problem is that the Desura build hasn't been updated for a long time, so a lot of the new stuff that we've gotten used to having since the steam updates isn't present there, and they've updated enough since that it's pretty tough to go back. No West Point, no updated horde system, no updated zed behavior, no fixing systems, very buggy farming, no rain catchers, etc. 

Not sure about crates on top of other crates though. 

It works.

Please do tell; Leaving a comment like that without being more specific is really just a silly waste of time.

Anybody? I was just trying to figure it out and I can't seem to make it happen. I don't think it's possible.

Not sure about crates on top of other crates though. 

It works.

Please do tell; Leaving a comment like that without being more specific is really just a silly waste of time.

Anybody? I was just trying to figure it out and I can't seem to make it happen. I don't think it's possible.

As far as I can tell there is not currently a function/mechanism implemented that allows for it; there would have to be a way to change the elevation of the pointer in order to accomplish that - e.i. something along the lines of holding Shift or Ctrl & pressing +/- or using the scroll wheel. Not sure if it's planned, considered, or even possible, as my search results have been inconclusive. I will check the suggestions again, and maybe formulate a topic for it if none exists.

pretty sure pressing r, like rotating walls, moves crates ontop of other crates.

That's cool, thanks. Sadly it doesn't work with floors. Why can't they just make another build item like ceiling/roof? It's position would be aligned to the top point of the area space instead of the bottom or sides.