Suicide by hanging scene.

Irken Empire

Now I really doubt that every other person would drink a whole bottle of bleach to burn their organs from the inside causing a painful misery of a death or put a bullet in their head rather then hanging themselvs, I feel a tiny bit disturbed when I come upon a house that has one of these suicide scenes, but having a corpse hanging from a cealing in a random house that rots more and more by each passing month would disturbe someone much more greatly. To be honest I've never heard nor could imagine someone drinking a bottle of bleach to kill themselvs so removing the bleach suicide scene for a death by hanging scene would be much more better too.

I agree. I don't think that suicide by firearm or hanging is "too dark". This game is literally about a horrible disease tearing everything you've ever cared about away from you and forcing you to fight your former friends and family. It's gory, has an incredibly dark tone all around, includes things like popping pills. suicide by bleach, psychological effects like the wind sounding like groans of the dead and depression, etc. I don't think it's really a step further to include hanging, suicide by gun etc, and it's actually kind of jarring that it's not already, in my opinion it takes me out of the setting.  I also think this should be included for the player, I want to be able to prevent my character from zombifying even if it's still death, not to mention the narrative issues it presents not having it.

Ultimately it's the dev's decision, regardless of what we think about it.

Yes I do remember suggesting something like this a while back, but I think to do it effectively (at least in the way I imagine it) it'd be more complex than is currently possible. Don't think it's something that is too far for the game, and it'd be nice to have it be a rare event.

Gun suicide I know is at least planned at some point, the animations are there already.

I'm all for having NPC corpses that have offed themselves in various ways, and also having the option to off one's own character. But these really should be behind an option/toggle, perhaps even disabled by default. Our "right" to morbid entertainment is a far distant second to someone else's right to not have this sort of potentially disturbing content.

The option should be "global" in the sense, that enabling/disabling suicide content should have an effect regardless of game mode, server, etc. With suicides enabled, I could find a corpse hanging from a noose. With it disabled, the same corpse would be on the floor instead. Rope should be on the floor, or hanging, depending on the setting, but lootable in either case. (yes, people could do a 1+1 here, but no visual suicide scene if disabled)

4 hours ago, HEL City Survivor said:

I'm all for having NPC corpses that have offed themselves in various ways, and also having the option to off one's own character. But these really should be behind an option/toggle, perhaps even disabled by default. Our "right" to morbid entertainment is a far distant second to someone else's right to not have this sort of potentially disturbing content.

The option should be "global" in the sense, that enabling/disabling suicide content should have an effect regardless of game mode, server, etc. With suicides enabled, I could find a corpse hanging from a noose. With it disabled, the same corpse would be on the floor instead. Rope should be on the floor, or hanging, depending on the setting, but lootable in either case. (yes, people could do a 1+1 here, but no visual suicide scene if disabled)

Ummm this Is THE ZOMBIE apocalypse, isn't it already disturbing that there are Kentuckey citizens chasing you, well ex citizens with their skull and ribs exposed and even poped out eyes? (little gore details that you can see in-game the longer you survive). You wouldn't have downloaded PZ if you were looking for unicorns and fairy tales would you? That's the reason why exactly this should be in the game, to heavily disturbe the audience.

20 minutes ago, The Nine Tailed Fox said:

Ummm this Is THE ZOMBIE apocalypse, isn't it already disturbing that there are Kentuckey citizens chasing you, well ex citizens with their skull and ribs exposed and even poped out eyes? (little gore details that you can see in-game the longer you survive). You wouldn't have downloaded PZ if you were looking for unicorns and fairy tales would you? That's the reason why exactly this should be in the game, to heavily disturbe the audience.

Man I'm gonna ask you to calm down with people opposing your posts, you get very aggravated when someone has anything contrarian to say, and it's not a nice attitude to have.

The dude's being considerate to people who can be affected by these things, which is a lot. Gore isn't the same as something that can happen and affect people pretty commonly nowadays, because gore is over the top so having a warning is almost a guarantee.

38 minutes ago, MadDan2013 said:

Man I'm gonna ask you to calm down with people opposing your posts, you get very aggravated when someone has anything contrarian to say, and it's not a nice attitude to have.

The dude's being considerate to people who can be affected by these things, which is a lot. Gore isn't the same as something that can happen and affect people pretty commonly nowadays, because gore is over the top so having a warning is almost a guarantee.

Because for some reason people on this forum call you out without understanding the actual deal and what's going on, then they start presenting false facts and indirect insults in sarcastic or ironic version, I think that having a 12 year old toxic attitde is even worse then mine attitude. So I just bomb them with the same amnount of energy.

Now this, yeah I didn't think it through all the way, someone's squeamish someone's not etc.

3 hours ago, The Nine Tailed Fox said:

Now this, yeah I didn't think it through all the way, someone's squeamish someone's not etc.

When talking about suicide saying someone is squeamish or not about it is maybe missing the point. It’s maybe not about whether or not they can stomach it. 

Worldwide, suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for people ages 15-24. Over 800,000 people take their own lives every year. 

No one has ever faced zombies. None of us ever will. It’s not reality and it never will be. However, for some people, dealing with loved ones committing or trying to commit suicide or having their own suicidal thoughts is very much their reality. 

Yes, suicide can fit within PZ and suicide is often a part of zombie stories (RIP Carl!), but some tact and empathy needs to be applied to adding something like suicide to a game and should only be done with great care. Devs approaching this cautiously is prudent, and having options to disable it in the game is an obvious thing that should be done. 

Suicide is real and it affects real people. 

On 1/5/2022 at 6:12 AM, HEL City Survivor said:

Why are you playing a gory, horrific, narrative-dependent  game about horrific circumstances that already includes a dozen ways to commit suicide and already has plans to add more then?

Edited by PoshRocketeer

On 1/5/2022 at 3:35 PM, CaptKaspar said:

When talking about suicide saying someone is squeamish or not about it is maybe missing the point. It’s maybe not about whether or not they can stomach it. 

Worldwide, suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for people ages 15-24. Over 800,000 people take their own lives every year. 

No one has ever faced zombies. None of us ever will. It’s not reality and it never will be. However, for some people, dealing with loved ones committing or trying to commit suicide or having their own suicidal thoughts is very much their reality. 

Yes, suicide can fit within PZ and suicide is often a part of zombie stories (RIP Carl!), but some tact and empathy needs to be applied to adding something like suicide to a game and should only be done with great care. Devs approaching this cautiously is prudent, and having options to disable it in the game is an obvious thing that should be done. 

Suicide is real and it affects real people. 

Coming from someone who has actually shot themselves in an attempt to off themselves, stop being offended for me and my loved ones, please. It's insulting and doesn't make you come off as righteous as you hoped. It makes me extremely uncomfortable to play No More Room in Hell and see a first person perspective of shooting yourself. Seeing the end of a barrel is "triggering" for me, even in fiction, do I play it anyway? Yeah of course I do, it's fun. If you can't stomach it, then don't play, it's not for you. If you can't handle that, then you wouldn't have been able to handle the rest of the game either, because it's just as dark.

Going into a gritty, realistic take on the zombie apocalypse, I and anyone who is going in should 100% expect suicide to be a recurring theme, whether it be through gameplay or exploration or otherwise. It is not unreasonable to expect people to use even the most basic of critical thinking skills when stepping into something like this.  Sheltering people from the narrative because the narrative makes people uncomfortable is invariably bad, and dilutes artistic expression. 

Edited by PoshRocketeer

2 hours ago, PoshRocketeer said:

Coming from someone who has actually shot themselves in an attempt to off themselves, stop being offended for me and my loved ones, please. It's insulting and doesn't make you come off as righteous as you hoped. It makes me extremely uncomfortable to play No More Room in Hell and see a first person perspective of shooting yourself. Seeing the end of a barrel is "triggering" for me, even in fiction, do I play it anyway? Yeah of course I do, it's fun. If you can't stomach it, then don't play, it's not for you. If you can't handle that, then you wouldn't have been able to handle the rest of the game either, because it's just as dark.

Going into a gritty, realistic take on the zombie apocalypse, I and anyone who is going in should 100% expect suicide to be a recurring theme, whether it be through gameplay or exploration or otherwise. It is not unreasonable to expect people to use even the most basic of critical thinking skills when stepping into something like this.  Sheltering people from the narrative because the narrative makes people uncomfortable is invariably bad, and dilutes artistic expression. 

Not everyone is the same. It doesn't give you the right to decide how others should feel about things just because you went through it, and is frankly a completely ridiculous excuse to justify things. This is a suggestion relevant to me, and I'm not using it as some excuse to make others who might be more affected than I was about it feel bad for doing so.

We've all been through shit, doesn't help to be an asshole to people who don't think the same as you, because of some sense of being macho.

• MadDan locked this topic