Jump Scare noise

quone17

Please let me turn this jump scare noise off.  I read about the whole point of the game is it being realistic to the extent possible.  Obviously in real life there is no "jump scare noise."  It is also disproportionately loud, and sometimes plays after I already see a zombie and I'm trying to sneak up on it.  I've seen others say the same thing.  I get it if you want to play with it for "excitement" but for me it breaks the realistic nature of the game and I'm like, oh, the game is just trying to scare me.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 11:51 AM, quone17 said:

Please let me turn this jump scare noise off.  I read about the whole point of the game is it being realistic to the extent possible.  Obviously in real life there is no "jump scare noise."  It is also disproportionately loud, and sometimes plays after I already see a zombie and I'm trying to sneak up on it.  I've seen others say the same thing.  I get it if you want to play with it for "excitement" but for me it breaks the realistic nature of the game and I'm like, oh, the game is just trying to scare me.  

Try the mod "No Alert Sound". The devs won't listen but someone else did.

• 2 weeks later...

Prior to the sound works that they've been doing recently, there was an option to set volume levels for just about every sound effect in game. I suspect it was there because some of the effects were kind of ear grating, so it was almost essential. I don't know if they intend to put that feature back in, but it would certainly eliminate the issue.

It was also nice for certain persistent sound effects like the heartbeat generated by fear, or corpse flies, if only to turn it down. The sound balance is much better than it was, so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't make a comeback.