NPC ETA?

DeadZRedemption

Hello,

It's amazing to see how far the game has come! I've had this game since the pre-alpha tech demo and I've literally been waiting since then for the promised NPCs to get added. Have they actually been added yet? On the wiki it says they're still not in the game, but I find this a little hard to believe after 10 years.

Can anyone kindly confirm this; I'd love to play the game but I don't really have an interest in multiplayer.

16 minutes ago, DeadZRedemption said:

Hello,

It's amazing to see how far the game has come! I've had this game since the pre-alpha tech demo and I've literally been waiting since then for the promised NPCs to get added. Have they actually been added yet? On the wiki it says they're still not in the game, but I find this a little hard to believe after 10 years.

Can anyone kindly confirm this; I'd love to play the game but I don't really have an interest in multiplayer.

No they're not in-game yet.

This coming Thursday there'll be some information on the plans for 2022. NPCs in general are the next focus, according to the roadmap you've presumably seen now, barring small patches and bug fixes in between. To give some context, I'm sure you're aware of how NPCs are supposed to be. Not simple traders or static on the map or hobbled together like the mods that exist.

That's why a lot of the groundwork for them needed to be done first. The animation update was the big one that'll really bring extra life to the game itself but also the characters rather than them all looking the same. The same for vehicles, they need to be able to use the game's mechanics rather than just be an annoyance that you need to babysit.

It may have been a long time coming, but I think it'd detract from the game to just throw them in randomly rather then when the game feels like it'll both be enhanced by them, and enhance them too.

I understand that the next build is going to focus on animals and hunting. I imagine they're gonna use this opportunity to better refine how npcs will work.

Start with something who's AI is a little dumber than people, and see where to go from there.

So, I would expect them later this afternoon, or tomorrow at the latest:p

Or within a year or two. 

I don't know, I just play the game too much.

Archived