Do you want zombies spawning?

jimmy5322hk

Do you want the map has new zombies spawning?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the map has new zombies spawning?

• No.
    • Yes, but I want to keep the respawn minimal.
    • Yes, respawn to keep the game tense.
    • Yes, (other reasons).

I somewhat do not want zombie spawning so I know I am actually helping myself to be safer and safer each time I kill a zombie. However after more than one and a half month surviving I have cleaned out pretty much all the zombies in the neighborhood and it has run out of the tense it used to have in the beginning of the game. What do you guys think?

Option 5 - None of the above.

I'd like to see the previous zombie migration stuff working as it would/could have if it was fixed up.

I imagine it will be making a return in the future, but it's not really covered by any of your poll options - Zombie numbers aren't constant, it doesn't happen on a regular basis or from time to time, and it's not just a minimal addition of zombies.

Yeah, i've got to agree. Having the goal of clearing out the town gives you a reason to go out once you have a home base established with gardens and rain barrels. However... I could see a system that allows hordes to migrate from outside the mapped area, possibly by specific trigger events. Maybe there's an explosion (I'm sure these will be added at some point, because everyone is a pyro at heart) at a gas station, and the sound draws a large group a of walkers into the area. Basically, only specific events would "spawn" more zombies. Maybe have a very rare occasion where a horde just makes its way into town.

Once multiplayer is implemented, and you have a group of people on the map, clearing out zombies will be much easier. At that point, especially if its a co-op group rather than several hostile groups, the game could really lull. So having a system that brings more zombies into play would be beneficial for the long term.

If not, just give the option for groups to "win" if they clear out the map entirely and take back the town. Maybe thats the game mode name right there "Take Back the Town". #boom

One thing I worry about migration is whether zombies can really walk their way up to the city. How long does it take for us to get to the edge of the map? Two in game days? How many metagames will be needed for them to get to the city without getting wandering off to the wild??

One thing I worry about migration is whether zombies can really walk their way up to the city. How long does it take for us to get to the edge of the map? Two in game days? How many metagames will be needed for them to get to the city without getting wandering off to the wild??

I don't really get your point.

i think he's wondering just how long it would take the zombies to actually make it to "civilization" if they were to spawn out at the edge of the map. i wonder the same thing, honestly. would it take a series of helicopter fly overs and machine gun blasts to finally get them over to the houses and city? would they even make it or would they just be out wandering aimlessly in the woods?

I don't think you guys quite understand the meta-game.

Zombies off-screen do not actually exist as zombies, just as a density per area. So tracking a single zombie, once it moves a short distance off-screen, is impossible. It becomes a number. A statistic.

Once you move in to, or out of one area to another, the area is populated just off-screen with zombies based off the density for that area. So a zombie migration involves hordes, or densities changing over time in response to whatever stimuli the meta-game is producing.

An increase in the zombie density at the edge of the map may, or may not ever reach the city itself. The flow-on effect will increase/decrease the density in neighbouring areas, but it still remains impossible to track any one non-existent zombie and his path to glory from the outer reaches of the map.

i've been involved in this game and forum for 13 days, there is a TON of stuff about this game i don't understand, what was discussed in the previous forum, and the games history. but i just keep reading and watching, learning as i go.

I think Brannty makes a good point. Zombies that don't respawn would be ok for single player, I guess. But once multiplayer is implemented, I think respawning zeds would become a necessity in order to keep things tense and interesting (a clear city would be kind of boring). 

What Realmkeeper teaches us is interesting (although I don't understand everything). But from what I do understand, zombies are not "loaded" if you aren't in the area they are in.They only are stats (correct me if I'm wrong).

What could be done would be to make the edge of the map having a zeds density always slightly increasing. And make zombies slowly migrate towards the city ( transfering a percentage of the zomby density from an area to an other, closer to the city). 

I hope my proposition is clear. I had a hard time trying to explain myself in english :)

I don't want Zombies to spawn past the initial walk into an area.  After that, they should be free to walk around.

That said...

1. I don't mind them spawning as an event by just walking out of the woodline.  We could say it took them 2 weeks to follow the helicopter from X to Y and your place just lies along the path (ie Herchels Farm in TWD).
  2. Zed's are attracted to noise yet noise only travels a little ways in the game.  Considering the din of humanity is gone, John Doe pounding on a wooden fence or chopping down trees should carry a good distance.  Trees are going to act as a buffer but hard objects (houses, concrete) can make the noise "carry" farther or echo.  I would be a nice touch if a small percentage of Zeds had accute hearing.  They may hear player construction activity across three to four blocks and walk in that direction.
  3. Zed's are attracted to smell and it would be nice if a small percentage had accute smell.  They could then walk over long distance, following the unusual odors of humanity.
  4. Zed's are attracted to what they can see and a small percentage should have accute sight.  They could see smoke in the sky (from a player fire) or catch a glimps of a character hoofing it from A to B.  That Zed then heads in that direction.
  5. Zed's with accute senses the game classifiers as Hunters.  All other Zeds are either sleepers (standing or playing possum), wanders (moving about) or followers.  Followers, some wanders and a small percentage of sleepers will see a hunter on the move and follow them.  Depending on how many Zeds are between the stimilus and the location directly determines how many Zed come along from the ride.  This might only be one or two, tens or even hundreds.  Multiple hunters in a herd could attract more Zed, making a vertible, albit slow moving, stampeed of undead.

I dont want the game to just toss out Zed because nothing is going on.  Maybe the player is being quiet, eating food away from where he sleeps, etc.  However, if a players is making all kinds of racket and cooking up steak 5 times a week, maybe Zed should come a callin'.

respawning probably isn't the correct term given the complexity of the metagame. Given how the map is being broken up into zones, in the future it should be possible to alter the densities of zones at any given time.

lets say the player does kill off every last zombie in a town, or even a block, the metagame could easily up the density in a nearby forest, or just another nearby area that hasn't been explored, to make up for all the killed zombies.

that doesn't mean that the meta has to lead the newly dense area to the empty area, that should still be up to the player/npc actions... also, to make things not so black and white, as the density decreases where the zombies are dying, the density should be increasing dynamically in those other areas, not all at once.

that could simulate a never ending zombie apocalypse, without really being noticable to the player. no matter how hard you try to truely wipe out the zombies, as you kill entire zones on one side of the map, the increase in density could be spreading them far and wide on the other side counteracting all your efforts...

Spawn them on the edges of the map and increase the roaming abilities. Random spawning is unrealistic and annoying. Just make them wander the map more. It makes sense in this situation that clearing a block pretty much makes it safe until new roamers arrive. I don't want to be walking around the neighborhood/block I've turned to a walled fortress and then go into my bathroom that's been clear for 2 months to be greeted by a random spawn. On the other hand, running through downtown I've cleared a week ago and rounding the corner today to find a small grouping of 15-20 just roaming up the street, that would be an awesome surprise. Happened today to me actually after a flyover in the night.

I would love for the zombie migration to come back. It's annoying for when you wanna sneak back home without any zombies seeing you, and a zombie literally spawns ahead of you. (Example from me playing PZ yesterday) 

It didn't just randomly spawn, the game doesn't do that. Your characters perception just managed to make it appear that way. Get severely panicked condition at night time for instance, and you're only going to perceive zeds about 15 feet away in a 45 degree cone. Even though it's 3D isometric, zeds will not appear visually to your character unless that zed is in your characters perceptive sight range. When i first started, it hapened to me a few times I'd be gunning down a horde to see a zed suddenly appear poised to chomp on my shoulder. I'ts a great aspect of the realism.

I like the way you can clear out an area and establish a "safe" house. There's something about killing a dozen of zeds and setting up a camp that just makes you feel so proud! Wouldn't want to wake up and find the entire area flooded again - all the good work wasted...

That said I firmly believe in the migration idea and wouldn't mind if a bunch of them came through the area once in a while. Just not in large numbers. Except if a gun were to be fired or something; anything that would make sense for a large crowd of zeds appearing.

They should not respawn , but an exception is if all the zombies are gone/dead.

If they do respawn , the developers should make it so that no zombies spawn in a small radius of the map where you are. This means that no zombies will just spawn inside your house and eat your brains out.

I like the way you can clear out an area and establish a "safe" house. There's something about killing a dozen of zeds and setting up a camp that just makes you feel so proud! Wouldn't want to wake up and find the entire area flooded again - all the good work wasted...

That said I firmly believe in the migration idea and wouldn't mind if a bunch of them came through the area once in a while. Just not in large numbers. Except if a gun were to be fired or something; anything that would make sense for a large crowd of zeds appearing.

clearing an area and making a safe house does make us pround. The trouble is when u are 4 month into game and havent seen a damn zombie for 2 month. Safe house is pointless, why not just kill all zombie and set up a tent, currently that work. Also once u cleared a city (muldraugth in my case)  this become a sim game .  I got no idea how they could do it, but they need to find a way for zombie to kept coming at us. i mean whats the point of building a safe house if there is no zombie. 

Only thing i thinked about was maybe every 10 day after 2 month  ( say electricity fail, prison door open or whatever)  send us a wave of like 50-100 zombie HUNTING us. with 2 month to gather food/ammo/build multi safe house that could be fun.Imagine the possibilty, if u dont clear 1 wave or 2 :) . Anyway thats just my point of view, but i started playing zomboid because it was damn hard and i was thrilled by the difficulty to survive, so of course im leaning toward a hard game instead of an easy one.