Need help, How to Install mods.

DudeWithPants7

Some older Mods needed to be installed to ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid\media but those wouldn't be compatible with the mod loader, without getting re-organised first. No post-mod loader Mods should be getting put into a media directory unless they're overwriting part of the game. Did the Mod author say anything about what version it was for?

All mods that have been updated even fairly recently come in a single folder, with a mod.info file and other mod files in that folder. That folder goes into your c:\users\username\Zomboid\mods dir. If the contents differ from that, or directions say you're supposed to install anything into PZ's main install dir, the mod is most likely out of date.

Some older Mods needed to be installed to ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid\media but those wouldn't be compatible with the mod loader, without getting re-organised first. No post-mod loader Mods should be getting put into a media directory unless they're overwriting part of the game. Did the Mod author say anything about what version it was for?

..... that's weird :huh:.....

that's about when the mod loader came out

did you try putting it into the directory that harakka said?

whats the mod, if you dont mind me asking?

EDIT:

Or post the download, either way I'll need to look at the file structure of the mod in order to help you if none of the above did

I have put many things in the directory. I went to The Steamapps> Common> PZ and took the media folder out of there and stuck it in the User>Name>Zomboid>Here but then deleted all of its contents, This was before I asked for help in the forums. After I read some of the replies to this topic I then searched through the mods an only acquired the ones that you just extract the mod to the modloader. Example: at some point I wanted the Spray Paint Mod, so I downloaded it said it was compatible with 2.9.9.17 but after I then opened it it had the contents of "Media" and "Mods".

..... that's weird :huh:.....

that's about when the mod loader came out

did you try putting it into the directory that harakka said?

whats the mod, if you dont mind me asking?

EDIT:

Or post the download, either way I'll need to look at the file structure of the mod in order to help you if none of the above did

I have put many things in the directory. I went to The Steamapps> Common> PZ and took the media folder out of there and stuck it in the User>Name>Zomboid>Here but then deleted all of its contents, This was before I asked for help in the forums. After I read some of the replies to this topic I then searched through the mods an only acquired the ones that you just extract the mod to the modloader. Example: at some point I wanted the Spray Paint Mod, so I downloaded it said it was compatible with 2.9.9.17 but after I then opened it it had the contents of "Media" and "Mods".

Compatibility with 2.9.9.17 is unfortunately a poor indicator, as the initial revisions of that version didn't have the current, then-new mod system working properly.

OK, so in order to get the spray paint mod to work you need to do 2 things....

1. combine the two install folders by copying the media file inside the mod into the spray paint directory
  2. edit the mod.info to include an id field

the file structure of the mod inside ....\Users\....\Zomboid\mods\ should look like this

<SprayPaint>

- <media>

- <lua>

- <textures>

- <scripts> * this is copied over from the separate media folder

- poster.png

- mod.info

Then the contents of mod.info should look like this

name=Spray Paint Mod (Thuztor, Peanuts, RobertJohnson)
poster=poster.png
id=SprayPaint
description=Mark your path of looting with spray cans.

I've re-compiled it here

EDIT:
SHIT! Wait a second, I got ahead of myself  :angry:
One of the room types in suburbsdistributions got renamed.... garage_storage is now garagestorage
Working now  :)

BAH! More issues..... The Mod is loading, the items are spawning inside containers & the UI interface works but the symbols aren't rendering  :angry:
I'll have a look & see if I can fix that too  <_<

And I was thinking to start modding, Because the modding community is very small right now with few mods. I have extremely little experience with scripting, but I have pretty good pixel texturing skills, (For Three years I have made countless pixel swords, weapons, items ect., ranging from grids 16-512 ) do you know where I could find a few tutorials of how use lua?

Start here

Robomat talks about all the tools you need & runs through some basic lua, other than that.... ah..... hard to say, I've been bedroom programming in Basic (the syntax is VERRY similar to lua) since I was 8 & am having trouble remembering how I learned.... analyzing existing code & trial & error. Here is a good reference for lua methods & try to become familiar with the PZ lua/Java methods..... the Javadocs can be found here

EDIT:

Ok, so I should have checked myself before I started work on it but someone has already fixed the SprayPaint mod at the end of the topic here

Start here

Robomat talks about all the tools you need & runs through some basic lua, other than that.... ah..... hard to say, I've been bedroom programming in Basic (the syntax is VERRY similar to lua) since I was 8 & am having trouble remembering how I learned.... analyzing existing code & trial & error. Here is a good reference for lua methods & try to become familiar with the PZ lua/Java methods..... the Javadocs can be found here

EDIT:

Ok, so I should have checked myself before I started work on it but someone has already fixed the SprayPaint mod at the end of the topic here

After I went and scrolled through the tutorial and started making the guided mod, It wasn't working. I was using WordPad and NotePad, they both didn't work. As showed the highlighted code didn't highlight when using the two. Do you know what could be done to fix this?

Start here

EDIT:

After I went and scrolled through the tutorial and started making the guided mod, It wasn't working. I was using WordPad and NotePad, they both didn't work. As showed the highlighted code didn't highlight when using the two. Do you know what could be done to fix this?

These are the worst programs you could use for this sort of thing. They aren't designed for programming, your best bet would be using something like Notepad ++ WordPad and notepad are generally used for writing documents, with notepad you can use it in a pinch but lacks alot of the beauty of Notepad++, and using it for complex codes will just make it a confusing mess. So Notepad++ all the way.