Map help

Zousug

so besides the door n key question *i want the main gate locable if possible... but id like to have keys in world for all the doors.. *want to put like 5in incase ones lost so dont have to break the doors lol*

I want to add the car lift *from mechanics shop* inside my building.. but i cant seem to find it in build mode.. i can only find it in the tileed but cant see how to add it into the building its self.. any ideas?

also one more thing.. how do i make it actually show in world in right area?

I followed the steps as per the tutorial but when i loaded into game *with mod installed* it wasnt showing.. hows it know which part of the map to spawn it in?

8 hours ago, Zousug said:

ok so one more thing to ask i think... *so far seems to be going ok hahaha*

How can i lock doors / gates etc and have a key assigned to them?

6 hours ago, Zousug said:

so besides the door n key question *i want the main gate locable if possible... but id like to have keys in world for all the doors.. *want to put like 5in incase ones lost so dont have to break the doors lol*

As far as I know, doors aren't manually lockable in the editors. They have a random chance to lock when you first start a new save file, and keys currently have a random chance to spawn in some containers inside the building or on any zombie that dies inside (so you can farm them infinitely as long as you lure zombies into a building). Keys spawned in either of these ways automatically work for any door attached to that building as long as they're part of the same building file in BuildingEd. If you do pick up a key in-game, you can right-click any door it works on and it should have a lock/unlock option. However, I'm not sure how that works with fence gates if you place them with the regular tile tool in TileZed since they aren't part of a building.

I'm hoping they'll expand the system a bit in the future, like how for cars you can find the keys on nearby zombies or laying on the ground nearby, since it feels a bit cheat-y to just lure zombies inside and kill them until one magically generates a key in their pockets. Plus it would be nice to be able to manually set the default lock state of a door. You might be able to do it via a lua script, but I have barely touched scripting so I genuinely have no idea if that's possible.

I want to add the car lift *from mechanics shop* inside my building.. but i cant seem to find it in build mode.. i can only find it in the tileed but cant see how to add it into the building its self.. any ideas?

There are quite a few multi-tile objects, including those car lifts, that don't show up as objects in the default "Iso" tab of BuildingEd. You have to click the "Tile" tab on the left side and place each piece manually. The parts for the car lifts are in the location_business_machinery_01 tileset. Also I'd recommend putting the pieces in the Furniture layers to prevent other furniture from clipping through them, and if any need to be placed on the same tile to line up properly you can place each of them in one of the four Furniture layers so they don't overwrite each other.

4 hours ago, Zousug said:

also one more thing.. how do i make it actually show in world in right area?

I followed the steps as per the tutorial but when i loaded into game *with mod installed* it wasnt showing.. hows it know which part of the map to spawn it in?

If you already set up the coordinate offset stuff and put "lots=Muldraugh, KY" in your map.info file as mentioned in the official guide, make sure your mod is staying enabled when you leave the mod menu by reopening it after the game does the lua reload. I had an issue with mine disabling itself after reloading lua because I had a comma in the mod ID in my mod.info file. I think that caused a problem since enabled mods are probably saved as a comma-separated list, which means the comma in the ID makes the game think it's two separate mod IDs and can't load your mod since the folder name is incomplete. If you have either of those, or any other special character in your mod ID, that might be the problem.

If you haven't set up the coordinate offset, you need to find the furthest northwest (top left) coordinates of the cells you want to replace in the base map and then enter those coordinates in the World Origin box of the Generate Lots menu in WorldEd. That should havefset your map from the default coordinates of (0,0) to wherever you want the northwest corner of your map to be. The easiest way I've found to get the coordinates of cells in the base game is to use the online map at https://map.projectzomboid.com/, click "Map Coordinates" on the left side, and then move your mouse around the map to update the cell coordinates listed on that menu.

Also I may be wrong, but I think you can't overwrite cells in an existing save file if they've already been visited. So if you're trying to add your mod to an existing save game, that might be the problem. Try creating a new save file with the mod enabled to see if the map gets updated if you haven't checked that already.

34 minutes ago, chromarict said:

As far as I know, doors aren't manually lockable in the editors. They have a random chance to lock when you first start a new save file, and keys currently have a random chance to spawn in some containers inside the building or on any zombie that dies inside (so you can farm them infinitely as long as you lure zombies into a building). Keys spawned in either of these ways automatically work for any door attached to that building as long as they're part of the same building file in BuildingEd. If you do pick up a key in-game, you can right-click any door it works on and it should have a lock/unlock option. However, I'm not sure how that works with fence gates if you place them with the regular tile tool in TileZed since they aren't part of a building.

I'm hoping they'll expand the system a bit in the future, like how for cars you can find the keys on nearby zombies or laying on the ground nearby, since it feels a bit cheat-y to just lure zombies inside and kill them until one magically generates a key in their pockets. Plus it would be nice to be able to manually set the default lock state of a door. You might be able to do it via a lua script, but I have barely touched scripting so I genuinely have no idea if that's possible.

There are quite a few multi-tile objects, including those car lifts, that don't show up as objects in the default "Iso" tab of BuildingEd. You have to click the "Tile" tab on the left side and place each piece manually. The parts for the car lifts are in the location_business_machinery_01 tileset. Also I'd recommend putting the pieces in the Furniture layers to prevent other furniture from clipping through them, and if any need to be placed on the same tile to line up properly you can place each of them in one of the four Furniture layers so they don't overwrite each other.

If you already set up the coordinate offset stuff and put "lots=Muldraugh, KY" in your map.info file as mentioned in the official guide, make sure your mod is staying enabled when you leave the mod menu by reopening it after the game does the lua reload. I had an issue with mine disabling itself after reloading lua because I had a comma in the mod ID in my mod.info file. I think that caused a problem since enabled mods are probably saved as a comma-separated list, which means the comma in the ID makes the game think it's two separate mod IDs and can't load your mod since the folder name is incomplete. If you have either of those, or any other special character in your mod ID, that might be the problem.

If you haven't set up the coordinate offset, you need to find the furthest northwest (top left) coordinates of the cells you want to replace in the base map and then enter those coordinates in the World Origin box of the Generate Lots menu in WorldEd. That should havefset your map from the default coordinates of (0,0) to wherever you want the northwest corner of your map to be. The easiest way I've found to get the coordinates of cells in the base game is to use the online map at https://map.projectzomboid.com/, click "Map Coordinates" on the left side, and then move your mouse around the map to update the cell coordinates listed on that menu.

Also I may be wrong, but I think you can't overwrite cells in an existing save file if they've already been visited. So if you're trying to add your mod to an existing save game, that might be the problem. Try creating a new save file with the mod enabled to see if the map gets updated if you haven't checked that already.

Hey thanks again for the reply..

ok so some of these doors people will have to break to get in *main compound gate for example*.. was hoping could do it so it could be locked from outside after opening..

all good though.. hopefully they change this as you mentioned.

I found the tiles for the car lift, had to add them to the tile list for accessing ^.^

ok so the coords is what iv not added.. ill try work that out soon.. currently playing with getting custom tiles *Daddy Dirkie Dirks Tiles* to show in game.. i have that mod enabled and the items show in editor but not game lol.. fun fun fun..

Ty for all your help i really do appreciate it.. ill message if i have any other issues ^.^

6 hours ago, chromarict said:

I am having issues with this bit...

The coords on the link you sent me are 4 digits but WorldEd only lets me put 3?

***EDIT***
I fixed the issue with custom tiles from the other mod *they give permission so long as give credit which ofc i will just the coords issue atm

also see near the garage door.. the wall on that corner is putting a orange bit hanging out.. how can i fix that? :S

28912c13a45db1d53aa4b6b819631bc1.png

Edited by Zousug
update

I am having issues with this bit...

The coords on the link you sent me are 4 digits but WorldEd only lets me put 3?

***EDIT***
I fixed the issue with custom tiles from the other mod *they give permission so long as give credit which ofc i will just the coords issue atm

also see near the garage door.. the wall on that corner is putting a orange bit hanging out.. how can i fix that? :S

28912c13a45db1d53aa4b6b819631bc1.png

Sorry, I forgot to clarify in my last post, the "coordinates" in the online map are the coords of each individual tile, you want the one below it that says "cell" with some 1 to 3-digit numbers, like 34x25. It was almost 3 a.m. where I live so I was super tired when I wrote that last post.

Also the little orange bit looks like wall trim. If you're just using the wall tool on the main page of BuildingEd, you can click the WallTrim category on the right side and select None. I think if you select the wall before changing the trim, it should update itself without you having to redraw the wall. If you used the room tool instead you can just edit the room settings and set the wall trim to None there.

4 hours ago, chromarict said:

Sorry, I forgot to clarify in my last post, the "coordinates" in the online map are the coords of each individual tile, you want the one below it that says "cell" with some 1 to 3-digit numbers, like 34x25. It was almost 3 a.m. where I live so I was super tired when I wrote that last post.

Also the little orange bit looks like wall trim. If you're just using the wall tool on the main page of BuildingEd, you can click the WallTrim category on the right side and select None. I think if you select the wall before changing the trim, it should update itself without you having to redraw the wall. If you used the room tool instead you can just edit the room settings and set the wall trim to None there.

ah ok, i was going try the cell option but wasnt sure haha.. thank you for that..

I thought it was trim to but the room says no trim.. ill try re-drawing the wall n make sure there is no trim selected.. thats the only place it shows lol..

You can prob see in that image that building is a bunker, any way i can make the slanted grass *solid* so i dont walk through it etc? is there like a solid invisible wall?

sorry to keep coming with questions.. least all of this i wont ever have to ask again lol

2 hours ago, Zousug said:

ah ok, i was going try the cell option but wasnt sure haha.. thank you for that..

I thought it was trim to but the room says no trim.. ill try re-drawing the wall n make sure there is no trim selected.. thats the only place it shows lol..

You can prob see in that image that building is a bunker, any way i can make the slanted grass *solid* so i dont walk through it etc? is there like a solid invisible wall?

sorry to keep coming with questions.. least all of this i wont ever have to ask again lol

You might have to switch to Tile mode and erase that trim piece from the trim layer (assuming it's in the correct layer). Worst case scenario, you can use the checkboxes to hide layers until you figure out which one the trim piece is in. Holding control and left-clicking tiles should erase them from the selected layer in BuildingEd.

I'm not sure about the slanted grass. Maybe it needs to be in a specific layer to count as solid? Try putting them in the wall layer if they aren't already there.

Also don't worry about asking so many questions, that's like the main purpose of the modding forums anyway. :D

3 hours ago, chromarict said:

You might have to switch to Tile mode and erase that trim piece from the trim layer (assuming it's in the correct layer). Worst case scenario, you can use the checkboxes to hide layers until you figure out which one the trim piece is in. Holding control and left-clicking tiles should erase them from the selected layer in BuildingEd.

I'm not sure about the slanted grass. Maybe it needs to be in a specific layer to count as solid? Try putting them in the wall layer if they aren't already there.

Also don't worry about asking so many questions, that's like the main purpose of the modding forums anyway. :D

not played with the trim yet... still trying get the coords to be right lol..

2 more questions though...

1: How do i get the main map to display the new mod on it? *so it dosnt show what was there by default* also the mini-map *as well as making it work for eries minimap if you know*

***edit***

also for some reason the fence i put in in the tile editor keeps being removed...

***Updated Edit***

Ok i got the map loading in to the correct location now, fixed the bunker and fixed the vanishing fences lol   just these following questions i need help with

1: How do i get the main map to display the new mod on it? *so it dosnt show what was there by default* also the mini-map *as well as making it work for eries minimap if you know*

**update** ah one more thing... how do i add double doors? I have 2 doors placed near each other but the handles are not facing each other *both facing same way instead of flipping*

Edited by Zousug
Update

4 hours ago, Zousug said:

not played with the trim yet... still trying get the coords to be right lol..

2 more questions though...

***edit***

also for some reason the fence i put in in the tile editor keeps being removed...

***Updated Edit***

Ok i got the map loading in to the correct location now, fixed the bunker and fixed the vanishing fences lol   just these following questions i need help with

**update** ah one more thing... how do i add double doors? I have 2 doors placed near each other but the handles are not facing each other *both facing same way instead of flipping*

Oh to get it to show the new stuff, I think you just need to follow the official tutorial on setting up your map for the in-game map system. You can find that here:

I would assume since your map is loaded after the original map, the in-game map data you generate through WorldEd will just overwrite those cells in the original in-game map/minimap. As for getting it to work with someone else's minimap mod, I have no idea. You'll probably have to find the documentation for that mod and see if it explains how to add your own map data to it.

There doesn't seem to be any actual mechanic for double doors from what I can tell. There are a few doors that have versions with the handles and hinges on opposite sides so you can make them look like double doors if you place them next to each other and remove the door frames, but I don't think there's any way to link them so they both open/close when you interact with one of them. The only doors I've found in BuildingEd's Iso mode that have both the left- and right-side handle variants for double doors are the black metal/glass doors and grey metal doors in fixtures_doors_02 and the white wooden doors in location_community_church_small_01. In Tile mode, there are a bunch of gate-style doors that line up perfectly as double doors in fixtures_doors_fences_01, but if you're trying to make them part of a building instead of a fence they may not look very good.

19 minutes ago, chromarict said:

Oh to get it to show the new stuff, I think you just need to follow the official tutorial on setting up your map for the in-game map system. You can find that here:

I would assume since your map is loaded after the original map, the in-game map data you generate through WorldEd will just overwrite those cells in the original in-game map/minimap. As for getting it to work with someone else's minimap mod, I have no idea. You'll probably have to find the documentation for that mod and see if it explains how to add your own map data to it.

There doesn't seem to be any actual mechanic for double doors from what I can tell. There are a few doors that have versions with the handles and hinges on opposite sides so you can make them look like double doors if you place them next to each other and remove the door frames, but I don't think there's any way to link them so they both open/close when you interact with one of them. The only doors I've found in BuildingEd's Iso mode that have both the left- and right-side handle variants for double doors are the black metal/glass doors and grey metal doors in fixtures_doors_02 and the white wooden doors in location_community_church_small_01. In Tile mode, there are a bunch of gate-style doors that line up perfectly as double doors in fixtures_doors_fences_01, but if you're trying to make them part of a building instead of a fence they may not look very good.

Ill play around with doors and the mini map later.. in regards to the section you linked.. I can not find these parts in the editors -.-

1 minute ago, Zousug said:

Ill play around with doors and the mini map later.. in regards to the section you linked.. I can not find these parts in the editors -.-

I forgot that guide doesn't make it very clear how to get to the Legend settings in BuildingEd. You have to click the Welcome tab on the left, then over in the file browser on the right select your building file and use the dropdown that says <NONE> by default to change the building type, which affects what color it is on the map. If you leave it on <NONE> I think the building won't show up on the map at all.

Then in WorldEd using the InGameMap buttons on the far right of the toolbar you should be able to set up shapes for roads and you can generate building, tree, and water shapes automatically using the InGameMap menu at the top between the Cell and Help menus. If you don't have any of those buttons, you need to update to the latest version of WorldEd.

Finally, using WorldEd's InGameMap -> Write XML Features menu to export the in-game map data to whatever folder you put your map.info and exported lot data in will make the in-game map show your new map data.

47 minutes ago, chromarict said:

I forgot that guide doesn't make it very clear how to get to the Legend settings in BuildingEd. You have to click the Welcome tab on the left, then over in the file browser on the right select your building file and use the dropdown that says <NONE> by default to change the building type, which affects what color it is on the map. If you leave it on <NONE> I think the building won't show up on the map at all.

Then in WorldEd using the InGameMap buttons on the far right of the toolbar you should be able to set up shapes for roads and you can generate building, tree, and water shapes automatically using the InGameMap menu at the top between the Cell and Help menus. If you don't have any of those buttons, you need to update to the latest version of WorldEd.

Finally, using WorldEd's InGameMap -> Write XML Features menu to export the in-game map data to whatever folder you put your map.info and exported lot data in will make the in-game map show your new map data.

ok got it partly working.. *some parts of the road are showing white... but slowly getting it haha ty

*edit*

I found the 2 doors you mentioned.. no frames.. but there is a gap between the doors and building.. any ideas how to fix that?

Edited by Zousug

7 hours ago, Zousug said:

ok got it partly working.. *some parts of the road are showing white... but slowly getting it haha ty

*edit*

I found the 2 doors you mentioned.. no frames.. but there is a gap between the doors and building.. any ideas how to fix that?

There are some two-piece door frames in the fixtures_doors_frames_01 tileset that should cover the gap.

Ok so I fixed the white lines i was getting now.. just need to fix the doors on the house -.-

Is there away i can set it to show the fence on the map?

You can manually draw the fences in using the rectangle tool like with the roads, you just need to add the building properties instead of the road properties. For that you want the key to be "building" and value can be any of the building types you can set in BuildingEd, like "RetailAndCommercial" for green, "Medical" for blue, etc., or if you want it to be the default orange building color you can just set the value to "yes", which is what the Generate Building Features button uses if you didn't assign a building type in BuildingEd.

Also I just learned the hard way, WorldEd doesn't automatically load your in-game map data from worldmap.xml when you close and reopen it. So if you restart WorldEd, make sure you use InGameMap -> Read XML Features before you start adding new shapes. Otherwise, using Write XML Features will just erase your old work. I noticed this because I was testing the manual setup for custom building shapes, and my water and road shapes disappeared from the map in-game since I forgot to read the existing data before I added my test shapes.

7 hours ago, chromarict said:

There are some two-piece door frames in the fixtures_doors_frames_01 tileset that should cover the gap.

You can manually draw the fences in using the rectangle tool like with the roads, you just need to add the building properties instead of the road properties. For that you want the key to be "building" and value can be any of the building types you can set in BuildingEd, like "RetailAndCommercial" for green, "Medical" for blue, etc., or if you want it to be the default orange building color you can just set the value to "yes", which is what the Generate Building Features button uses if you didn't assign a building type in BuildingEd.

Also I just learned the hard way, WorldEd doesn't automatically load your in-game map data from worldmap.xml when you close and reopen it. So if you restart WorldEd, make sure you use InGameMap -> Read XML Features before you start adding new shapes. Otherwise, using Write XML Features will just erase your old work. I noticed this because I was testing the manual setup for custom building shapes, and my water and road shapes disappeared from the map in-game since I forgot to read the existing data before I added my test shapes.

I found some door frames from the bank i think that covers the doors nicely ^.^

ok ill look at drawing the fences in, think ill go orange *would like black but orange will work*

oh ty for the tip on the map markers... def dont wanna lose all them haha..

I was reading this post for customizing the loot zones

But im lost in regards to it as it dosnt really explain how to select like army for the zone?  *currently the room in my bunker is marked as security.. iv tried a few others but none have spawned weapons just get massive loads of ammo hahaha*

do you know how to do it? *ill be working on it today trying work it out but any tips*

I have metal *what i think are gun lockers* placed down and just need to get it spawning weapons in it to

so im having a issue with this map.. if i do a host local it works fine.. but when we put it on the test server its crashing...

goes to black screen with red text saying to go read the console.txt file for details... -.-

ok ill look at drawing the fences in, think ill go orange *would like black but orange will work*

I think a good place to look into adding custom building colors would be the custom lootable map tutorial:

You don't need to do all the setup for making the map item itself unless you want a lootable map item that reveals the area around the base. I'm not sure if it will even work, but if I understand it correctly, the important part you need is to set up a custom MyModMapDefinition.lua file in your mod's media/lua/client/ISUI/Maps folder and take the first lua code spoiler content in that tutorial, the one that starts with "require ISMapDefinitions", and just modify the MapUtils.InitDefaultStyleV1() function to add your new color layer after where it has the block of code to handle RetailAndCommerical coloration. You shouldn't need the second lua code spoiler contents that he says to add after the "-----" line, that stuff just sets up the custom map item and has nothing to do with handling the custom building colors as far as I can tell.

I haven't tried it myself, but I believe it will work since a comment in the code says "Add data from highest priority (mods) to lowest priority (vanilla)", which I assume means your mod's map layer definitions will overwrite the vanilla in-game map features, thus expanding the color definitions to support any new building types you add. I do think you need to keep the vanilla color definitions though, since it's overwriting instead of combining, and removing the vanilla colors would probably make the built-in building types not show up in your map mod's cells.

But im lost in regards to it as it dosnt really explain how to select like army for the zone?  *currently the room in my bunker is marked as security.. iv tried a few others but none have spawned weapons just get massive loads of ammo hahaha*

do you know how to do it? *ill be working on it today trying work it out but any tips*

I have metal *what i think are gun lockers* placed down and just need to get it spawning weapons in it to

When you place the LootZone object type in WorldEd, you need to select it and the rename it to "army" in the Objects panel on the left. If you select it with the select/move object tool, it should automatically highlight it in the list. If it doesn't and you have multiple, you can select one in the Objects panel and the main view should focus on it so you can tell which one you're editing more easily. Then you can click (or maybe double-click, I don't recall which) where it says "<no name>" and it should turn into a text field you can type the name of the loot type in.

1 hour ago, Zousug said:

so im having a issue with this map.. if i do a host local it works fine.. but when we put it on the test server its crashing...

goes to black screen with red text saying to go read the console.txt file for details... -.-

Well, did you read the console.txt file? :P

Jokes aside, what details about the error were in the console.txt file? And are you sure you put the mod in the proper folder for the server? I haven't actually run a dedicated server myself, so I don't know if you need to put them in the server folder to load properly or if it'll just read them from the local user mod folder like singleplayer does.

And just to be certain, is the test server up-to-date and on the main build 41 release branch? If it's outdated, it might be crashing if there's some sort of compatibility issue for older versions of the game loading maps made in the latest version of WorldEd.

26 minutes ago, chromarict said:

I think a good place to look into adding custom building colors would be the custom lootable map tutorial:

You don't need to do all the setup for making the map item itself unless you want a lootable map item that reveals the area around the base. I'm not sure if it will even work, but if I understand it correctly, the important part you need is to set up a custom MyModMapDefinition.lua file in your mod's media/lua/client/ISUI/Maps folder and take the first lua code spoiler content in that tutorial, the one that starts with "require ISMapDefinitions", and just modify the MapUtils.InitDefaultStyleV1() function to add your new color layer after where it has the block of code to handle RetailAndCommerical coloration. You shouldn't need the second lua code spoiler contents that he says to add after the "-----" line, that stuff just sets up the custom map item and has nothing to do with handling the custom building colors as far as I can tell.

I haven't tried it myself, but I believe it will work since a comment in the code says "Add data from highest priority (mods) to lowest priority (vanilla)", which I assume means your mod's map layer definitions will overwrite the vanilla in-game map features, thus expanding the color definitions to support any new building types you add. I do think you need to keep the vanilla color definitions though, since it's overwriting instead of combining, and removing the vanilla colors would probably make the built-in building types not show up in your map mod's cells.

When you place the LootZone object type in WorldEd, you need to select it and the rename it to "army" in the Objects panel on the left. If you select it with the select/move object tool, it should automatically highlight it in the list. If it doesn't and you have multiple, you can select one in the Objects panel and the main view should focus on it so you can tell which one you're editing more easily. Then you can click (or maybe double-click, I don't recall which) where it says "<no name>" and it should turn into a text field you can type the name of the loot type in.

Well, did you read the console.txt file? :P

Jokes aside, what details about the error were in the console.txt file? And are you sure you put the mod in the proper folder for the server? I haven't actually run a dedicated server myself, so I don't know if you need to put them in the server folder to load properly or if it'll just read them from the local user mod folder like singleplayer does.

And just to be certain, is the test server up-to-date and on the main build 41 release branch? If it's outdated, it might be crashing if there's some sort of compatibility issue for older versions of the game loading maps made in the latest version of WorldEd.

for now i have put custom loot on hold.

i dont have the console log any more *it got overwritten when loading in host mode locally which works fine* and my friend forgot to give me access to the server to restart it to update the map after i made changes..

the dedicated server you add the mod id details etc and it auto downloads the mod from steam to the right area.. it works all find without my mod installed but as soon as the map is loaded in it breaks n stops the server from loading.. i just dont know what could be causing it to work in hosting a local server but not on a dedicated server.

server is version 41.65 same as our main server *we have test one to try fix a lot of errors we get on load etc and setting correct for next wipe of our offical server

4 minutes ago, Zousug said:

for now i have put custom loot on hold.

i dont have the console log any more *it got overwritten when loading in host mode locally which works fine* and my friend forgot to give me access to the server to restart it to update the map after i made changes..

the dedicated server you add the mod id details etc and it auto downloads the mod from steam to the right area.. it works all find without my mod installed but as soon as the map is loaded in it breaks n stops the server from loading.. i just dont know what could be causing it to work in hosting a local server but not on a dedicated server.

server is version 41.65 same as our main server *we have test one to try fix a lot of errors we get on load etc and setting correct for next wipe of our offical server

Your best bet is probably to run the dedicated server again when you're able to, let it crash intentionally, and get the error message in the console.txt file so you can get more accurate info on what's causing it.

When you do the local host test, are you using the locally installed version the modding tutorial says to put in C:/Users/<username>/Zomboid/mods, or did you remove that so you can force the game to use the Workshop version? If the local one is still in the mods folder, it might be taking priority when loading and ignoring the Workshop version during your local host test so it works fine, while the dedicated server is only set up to use the Workshop version. If that's the case, there's probably something wrong with the Workshop version since only the dedicated server is crashing.

14 minutes ago, chromarict said:

Your best bet is probably to run the dedicated server again when you're able to, let it crash intentionally, and get the error message in the console.txt file so you can get more accurate info on what's causing it.

When you do the local host test, are you using the locally installed version the modding tutorial says to put in C:/Users/<username>/Zomboid/mods, or did you remove that so you can force the game to use the Workshop version? If the local one is still in the mods folder, it might be taking priority when loading and ignoring the Workshop version during your local host test so it works fine, while the dedicated server is only set up to use the Workshop version. If that's the case, there's probably something wrong with the Workshop version since only the dedicated server is crashing.

im hoping to be able to test it on the test server soon and going post log here as soon as i can..

the version on workshop should be the same as my local one in that directory.. i did remove it from the mods folder and just used steam but it dosnt seem to load local unless its in that mods folder

If i am using default distributions i dont need a lua for it do i?

same with if im not letting people spawn in the map i dont need a spawn lua file do i?

I have my main mod file with mod.info poster.png and folder media

in media is maps folder

in maps is the folder named my mod again

then i have the .lotheader, .bin map.info thumb.png lotpack and worldmap.xml *to make it show on map* files... (total 19 items in this folder)

I also have spanwregions.lua file in it (so the spawn location of the 4 default areas shows up)

Edited by Zousug

Just now, Zousug said:

im hoping to be able to test it on the test server soon and going post log here as soon as i can..

the version on workshop should be the same as my local one in that directory.. i did remove it from the mods folder and just used steam but it dosnt seem to load local unless its in that mods folder

Alright, I just wanted to make sure you were using the same version in both tests. Hopefully the log will shed some light on this because I'm out of ideas.

7 hours ago, chromarict said:

Alright, I just wanted to make sure you were using the same version in both tests. Hopefully the log will shed some light on this because I'm out of ideas.

ok finally got to test it again..

i actually removed a few errors myself (was getting 3 to 4 errors... now i only get one its still forcing closed the game and telling me to check the log file.. this is the end thats showing errors

LOG  : General     , 1641824830752> loading 4271 zones from map_zone.bin
LOG  : General     , 1641824830784> Max #ZONES on one chunk is 8
WARN : General     , 1641824830802> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10606,9474,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830803> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10624,10533,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830803> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10629,9658,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830803> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10862,10247,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830804> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10916,10133,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830804> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10803,10073,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830804> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10919,10131,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830804> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10942,9373,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830804> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10951,9490,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830805> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10872,9489,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830805> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10976,9785,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830805> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10851,9846,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830805> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10854,9894,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830805> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10908,9994,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830805> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10884,10159,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830805> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10917,10093,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830806> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10876,10028,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830806> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10839,9537,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830806> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10919,10132,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830806> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 10944,9374,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830806> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11655,7084,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830809> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11982,6806,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830809> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11903,6865,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830809> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11904,6725,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830810> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11759,6684,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830810> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11792,6786,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830810> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11896,7015,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830810> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11537,6986,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830810> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11480,7024,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830810> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11643,6696,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830810> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11494,6702,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830811> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11412,6724,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830811> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11297,6730,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830811> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11935,6813,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830811> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11772,6752,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830811> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11533,6924,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830811> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11640,6877,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830812> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11367,6875,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830812> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11946,6885,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830812> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11906,6916,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830812> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 11908,6949,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830821> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 8085,11512,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830821> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 8074,11731,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830821> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 8208,11600,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830822> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 8246,11670,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830822> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 8327,11814,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830822> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 8003,11545,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830822> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 8418,11686,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830822> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 8127,11622,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830822> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 8144,11739,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830823> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 8342,11749,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830823> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 8441,11811,0
WARN : General     , 1641824830823> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 8073,11730,0
LOG  : General     , 1641824830829> Requested 0 chunks from the server
LOG  : General     , 1641824830830> Received 0 / 0 chunks
ERROR: General     , 1641824830835> ExceptionLogger.logException> Exception thrown java.lang.RuntimeException: can't create player at x,y,z=10916,10133,0 because the square is null at IsoWorld.init line:2641.
ERROR: General     , 1641824830835> DebugLogStream.printException> Stack trace:
java.lang.RuntimeException: can't create player at x,y,z=10916,10133,0 because the square is null
    at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.init(IsoWorld.java:2641)
    at zombie.gameStates.GameLoadingState$1.runInner(GameLoadingState.java:260)
    at zombie.gameStates.GameLoadingState$1.run(GameLoadingState.java:217)
    at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
LOG  : General     , 1641824830870> LuaEventManager: adding unknown event "OnPreUIDraw"
LOG  : General     , 1641824830871> LuaEventManager: adding unknown event "OnPostUIDraw"
LOG  : General     , 1641824832915> EXITDEBUG: Core.quit 1
LOG  : General     , 1641824832915> EXITDEBUG: Core.quit 3
LOG  : General     , 1641824832916> waiting for UdpEngine thread termination
LOG  : General     , 1641824832927> 1641824832927 znet: Java_zombie_core_raknet_RakNetPeerInterface_Shutdown
LOG  : General     , 1641824833058> 1641824833058 znet: Java_zombie_core_znet_SteamUtils_n_1Shutdown
LOG  : General     , 1641824833061> EXITDEBUG: Core.quit 4

12 minutes ago, Zousug said:

ERROR: General     , 1641824830835> ExceptionLogger.logException> Exception thrown java.lang.RuntimeException: can't create player at x,y,z=10916,10133,0 because the square is null at IsoWorld.init line:2641.

So it looks like it isn't loading any tiles where you're trying to spawn. Did you add a custom spawn point to your map or are you just trying to spawn at the vanilla ones? If you did, maybe you need to run the File -> Write Spawn Points command again in WorldEd to update spawnpoints.lua. Also if you previously had a spawn point you were just using for testing, but removed it and didn't regenerate spawnpoints.lua, it might be trying to load a spawn point that doesn't exist anymore and that could be causing the issue.

Although, with it having so many warnings about spawn points that are pretty far apart based on the coordinates, maybe for some reason the server is trying to load your map by itself instead of placing it on top of the vanilla map. Then it's still loading the spawn points for Muldraugh, Rosewood, etc. even though they're in unloaded / empty cells, causing these warnings and the crash. Is there a server setting somewhere, separate from the main mod list, where you list the maps it should load?

19 minutes ago, chromarict said:

So it looks like it isn't loading any tiles where you're trying to spawn. Did you add a custom spawn point to your map or are you just trying to spawn at the vanilla ones? If you did, maybe you need to run the File -> Write Spawn Points command again in WorldEd to update spawnpoints.lua. Also if you previously had a spawn point you were just using for testing, but removed it and didn't regenerate spawnpoints.lua, it might be trying to load a spawn point that doesn't exist anymore and that could be causing the issue.

Although, with it having so many warnings about spawn points that are pretty far apart based on the coordinates, maybe for some reason the server is trying to load your map by itself instead of placing it on top of the vanilla map. Then it's still loading the spawn points for Muldraugh, Rosewood, etc. even though they're in unloaded / empty cells, causing these warnings and the crash. Is there a server setting somewhere, separate from the main mod list, where you list the maps it should load?

my map dosnt even show as a spawn location.. only the vanilla ones.. i did re-run the update to spawnpoints *ill do it again*

When I load in it lets me select a vanilla location to spawn at... ill look for a settling like this.. its just odd it does it when my maps installed but not when its not installed...