Lit Candle as a light source is sort of useless

13thGeneral

Does anyone else feel that the Lit Candle as a light source is nearly entirely useless indoors? It barely makes a difference when lit, as far as I can see. I've even adjusted my monitor's brightness settings, etc., but that barely made it better (and I'd rather not have to do that every time Iplay). The smaller the room, the better it is (more surfaces) but for larger rooms it's terrible. Candles cast much more light in reality than this currently depicts. It makes having them in-game a bit pointless (for indoor use). Am I the only one with this complaint? I saw nobody else saying as mch in any topic when doing a forum search; or even a web search.

Here's a scrennshot of me, zoomed all the way in, with a candle lit indoors;

Kbdn4kT.png

See what I mean... or, more aptly, don't see. It's nearly pitch black. With the candle lit. Almost totally black without (I can barely see the walls).

Perhpas this is an issue that will be fixed, or with some kind of in-game gamm/brightness slider?

I never tested the candle before, try using the lighter as a light. I don't know if that's any better, but it might be. And candles are pretty dark, not that dark, but close to it. They should add oil lamps.

The lighter is certainly much better, but I'd rather save that for starting fires, etc.. Oil lamps would be good, and torches would be cool (though probably attract Zeds).

Hanbyul I've had the flashlight work a few times, see if changing the batteries makes a difference.

I love it if they added candle-holders to the game, it would not only give us a way to add light to the room without carrying the candle around, it would give us new and exciting ways of burning our safe-house to the ground!

True, even the firecamp doesnt produce light and the flashlight as well 

Yesterday I built a campfire near my house to cook. It created a red glow (inside parts of the house too). However, the red glow did not disappear until the next time I started the game. 

I made a campfire, but it had no flames and cast no light. I couldn't tell if I was doing anything wrong.

And I cannot figure out how to cook with it, either - perhaps that's not functional yet?

True, even the firecamp doesnt produce light and the flashlight as well 

Yesterday I built a campfire near my house to cook. It created a red glow (inside parts of the house too). However, the red glow did not disappear until the next time I started the game. 

I made a campfire, but it had no flames and cast no light. I couldn't tell if I was doing anything wrong.

And I cannot figure out how to cook with it, either - perhaps that's not functional yet?

Now it does produce light.

For cooking its functional, you just need to put the food to cook and wait that you see a red bar appear, it will say that if its cook or not yet.

For cooking its functional, you just need to put the food to cook and wait that you see a red bar appear, it will say that if its cook or not yet.

Well, that's part of the problem; it doesn't give me an inventory option to place the item that needs cooking into. Just the ground, nothing else.

And, it's still not producing light for me. No fire appears, just a firepit. Right clicking doesn't give me an option to light it or 'turn on'.

Well, that's part of the problem; it doesn't give me an inventory option to place the item that needs cooking into. Just the ground, nothing else.

And, it's still not producing light for me. No fire appears, just a firepit. Right clicking doesn't give me an option to light it or 'turn on'.

Campfires (How I do it)

• Make campfire kit
  • Place campfire
  • Make kindling
  • Start campfire with kindling (sometimes it does not work and then I create new kindling and try again)
  • Add plank to campfire
  • Add log to campfire
  • Place item to be cooked in campfire an monitor closely so it does not burn. (Campfire in inventory screen looks like a shelf. You interact with it same as a shelf in a house.)

Reference -  http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Campfire_kit

Thanks for the link Invader Jim, very helpful.  I've been toying with the idea of building a campfire kit to add to my bugout bags but I can never find any gas cans.

Well that's not entirely true, I've found them in previous games, but just like fertilizer it appears there are no gas cans in Westpoint in my current game :( .

Ah, thanks for the instructions, Invader Jim. I had kindling but it wasn't giving me the option to use it, among other right-click menu problems, until after a few reboots of the game seemed to clear the issues.

Now I get the container icon for placing stuff into the campfire like I should.

The campfire now occasionally leaves a residual glow after putting it out, but I hear that's being addressed soon.