Learning To Use Guns

Jawface

In Project Zomboid I find it very unrealistic that a normal person can walk into a house get a pistol and some ammo and know how to use it even though he never saw it before in his/her life

The suggestion is that any other proffesion than Police Officer or Security Guard will require you to learn how to use guns. if you find a gun you will be able to fire it (because everyone knows how to pull a trigger) but you will not be able to reload it, for that you will either have to find a book "Pistols for begginers" or learn it from an npc (when those are re-introduced). Also a trait which comes with security guard or police officer "Firearm Training" which means you don't have to learn how to reload any gun. when u read a book it will be only applied to that specific gun. even if u don't have the gun in ur inventory you can still read the book so that when u find a gun you know how to reload it.

Thoughts?

Jawface

Well i believe a everyday person could learn how to reload a handgun sure it might take some fiddling but they would figure it out,

BUT i believe very slow reload times and awful accuracy would be alot more realistic

Security Guards and Police Officers would reload easily and have good accuracy while the others will need training by book or through use (not advised)

You can reload a gun easily with a bit of fiddling. You just have to not be blind, really. Figure out where the release button for the mag is on a pistol and pop in another magazine, then pull the slide back if you emptied all the bullets, or you can keep going if there's still one in the chamber. Shotguns are even easier. Take a shell and put it into the slot on the bottom. You just gotta figure out the cap of the shell faces the butt of the gun. Basically, you can pick up a gun and use it immediately and figure out how to reload it, but to reload QUICKLY and use the gun well, you need practice.

Yeah, I'd call bullshit if any game made me use a skillbook to figure out how to reload any sort of gun. That pretty much makes the assumption that the player avatar is blind deaf and dumb and can't figure out how to do anything without a helping skill boost to get the job done.

All you need to do to figure out how to use a gun is to sit down with it in your spare time and fiddle around with it until you've got an idea of what you're doing, Reloading is a pain in the ass and doing it quickly and reliably takes a lot of skill and practice, but being completely unable to reload a weapon like a handgun or a shotgun is just ludicrous.

I think a better way to do this would be possibly a guns skill that increases your accuracy, and movement speed with the gun out. You could either find a gun skill book, or just learn over time by actually using the gun. Obviously police and security guard would get a +2 or something to this skill from the get go.

In real life skill books won't help, but in the universe of Project Zomboid in which you can become a carpentry master from reading skill books. I think it'll fit in. But you should definitely get more skill points from actually using the weapon rather than reading the skill book.

But you can't become a carpentry master from reading skill books. You only get a boost, you level up faster but still require practice to improve at all. I think that that concept should be transferred over to instructors for some activities including this. Having someone help you learn proper techniques is incomparable to reading up on the subject and would definitely help you to learn your way around the gun faster than books (although maintenance is an exception, a manual would be just as helpful as an instructor for learning the basics, complicated maintenance procedures can only be discovered through trial and error by humans though, so teaching would still be invaluable).

I lived in Kentucky when I was growing up and I could use a rifle, handgun, and shotgun by 13. It isn't hard to do and it certainly isn't uncommon there. I could reload fast too after only using a gun a few times so the reload time shouldn't be crap just because you are starting out. Once you know which way the bullet points it is pretty simple and quick to do.

Edit: I do agree with the accuracy being high though as it seems like head shots are fairly common for someone just starting out

You can reload a gun easily with a bit of fiddling. You just have to not be blind, really.

I agree with this. Assuming you have a basic understanding oh how firearms work (which I think most adults do, especially in the US), you could figure out how to use one. Granted, you wouldn't be very skilled or accurate with it at first, but you could

1. easily fire one you find (if it's loaded)

2. learn and practice how to reload it (albeit not like a pro) in an hour our two

Given some time to practice in a safe location, I think you would get pretty good at handling your weapon in a short time. Reaching a higher level of proficiency would take significantly longer, of course, as it does with all the skill development in the game (including aiming and reloading).

You can reload a gun easily with a bit of fiddling. You just have to not be blind, really.

I agree with this. Assuming you have a basic understanding oh how firearms work (which I think most adults do, especially in the US), you could figure out how to use one. Granted, you wouldn't be very skilled or accurate with it at first, but you could

1. easily fire one you find (if it's loaded)

2. learn and practice how to reload it (albeit not like a pro) in an hour our two

Given some time to practice in a safe location, I think you would get pretty good at handling your weapon in a short time. Reaching a higher level of proficiency would take significantly longer, of course, as it does with all the skill development in the game (including aiming and reloading).

Exactly. Hell, one time my cousins bought a fancy hunting shotgun (They took the protector out so you could load more shells) and I'd never held a shotgun before. I picked it up, along with a few shells, and tried to put the shells in cap-first. They wouldn't go in, so I then learned they go in cap-back. Thus, I learned to load a regular shotgun in a few seconds, albeit I loaded it slowly, even though I was doing it as fast as I could without tossing shells everywhere.

I dont think you should have to be able to find someone to teach you, If you found a unloaded gun and bullets and had no idea how it worked, I think you would sit down and figure out how it worked. perhaps you would have to load and unload and reload 5-10 times to figure out how to do it. And you could just be horrid at it till you got that first bar of reloading filled. Try to think how hard it would be to reload a gun you have only loaded 1 time before, and have it be the first gun you have ever used, if your already panicking your hands would be all shaky and what not. 

But at the same time loading a firearm is not rocket sci and your PC would prolly understand that figuring out the puzzle of loading a handgun is a life saving skill worth investing a few hours of trial and error into. 

And hey you can always add things like shooting it off by mistake while you try and learn, I dont even know if guns break down like melee weapons do, But if they do and they ever make it so you have to take care of your weapon you could just make it so you cant learn to clean the weapon until you read a book about it or learn it from someone. And if you don't keep it clean then it could become more and more likely to Jam if you keep using it. 

I don't think one should require a teacher to learn how guns work anymore than one should to learn how to build walls. There comes a point wherein trial and error won't improve your shooting. You need somebody to tell you if you're shooting too low or too high or to train you on where to be looking, how to mount/hold the gun properly. You can't work everything out and if you have somebody helping you, you'll learn much faster.