Steam Release - 16th Feb 2014 - Build 23

RobertJohnson

Not sure what you mean Enigma when you say that safe mode "is the fix". Considering it disables zooming, it's really just an unfortunate workaround. I really want the ability to zoom in. If it was the fix, why not commit what safe mode does to the basic build of the game?

You've got a fundamental misunderstanding of the situation. Some graphics cards probably just dot support the functions used by zoom. Thus you may not ever be able to use zoom, because your graphics don't support it.

That why safe mode is "the fix." If we put it on for everyone, no one would be able to use zoom and that's just silly. It's possible some day zoom might be changed to work with more setups, but in the mean time safe mode is doing exactly what it's designed for- to disable zoom.

projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh doesn't work in linux/steam 

ProjectZomboid]$ ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh Error: no se ha encontrado el método principal en la clase zombie.network.GameServer, defina el método principal del siguiente modo:   public static void main(String[] args)

still not implemented or is a bug?

There's an increased chance of stopping burning when you run (contrary to what fire-safety people may have told you IRL).

Good to know. I'll have to try that next time if I find myself on fire due to shenanigans. Was hoping that once your on fire it's not an automatic death sentence, but only a very likely one.

Here's a shot of my progress with single camp fire vs. a hundred zombies.

I only have two words for you:

MOLOTOV melon-farming COCKTAILS! :)

No Molotovs where used in this experiment, just the camp fire.

I have a gas can, empty whiskey bottle, socks/bandages and newspaper stored for when molotovs become craftable, but at this time, I have never been able to use one.

ProjectZomboid]$ ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh Error: no se ha encontrado el método principal en la clase zombie.network.GameServer, defina el método principal del siguiente modo:   public static void main(String[] args)

There's some bugs in the mp server that means we're not yet deploying it - it's hard-crashing atm.

You need to make sure you've glibc version at least 2.15. If you're on a debian machine, you'll need to pull the packages from sid.

the sh is present by mistake, the MP code doesn't exist in the build so you got no chance :D

No, I agree that it's more realistic, but if you're going for that kind of ultra realism how come I can build a house in a day? For a video game 2 days to read a book is a bit much. In my humble opinion. Who wants to stand around for 2 full game days while their character reads? I literally played a different game on my cell phone while my PZ character was reading.

At the same time it is possible to read 200 page books in under that time. I got my bachelors in world literature, and I've read many a 200+ page books in a day. When you have to do it for a grade you do it. I'd think the zombie apocalypse would have the same effect in terms of putting pressure on you to get your necessary reading done in a timely fashion. Just saying.

but if you're going for that kind of ultra realism how come I can build a house in a day?

You don't ;o

@Lemmy

So, I survived those 2 bites, but got unlucky on the next couple of scratchs and finally died from Zombification. So no bug here, only extreme luck :)

It just took almost 2 full days for me to read a skill book. Was that done on purpose? I know the way they work was purposely altered for this build, and in terms of realism it makes sense for it to take awhile to read a book, but that seemed a bit excessive IMO.

It should work out to 2 game minutes per page.

Might want to reset your memory values then -- despite the common belief of a larger heap means less garbage collection, it can actually take a longer amount of time to process a larger heap, not that there aren't limits to that.

Hope it helps, Reinhart, as your system isn't too bad.

I'll give that a go for a while, though I got 2 stutters in the first 10 minutes. Will see how it goes for extended play.

On another note:

Has the spawning been changed at all? I'm in this area, and I keep clearing out surround zombies and they just keep spawning more as I walk back, and it's like multiples at a time, not just 1 or 2. I've been at this place previously and cleared out the surrounding areas, and the zombies spawns less. From what I read they're supposed to only spawn near the edge slowly and migrate inwards, this doesn't seem to fit that description. I also understand that they won't ever be cleared 100%. Sorry you guys must have been asked about spawning multiple times, I'd suggest putting this in the FAQ in support.

2 days to read a book is not realistic ? You're right, it should take 1 week or so, go grab a 500+ pages books, start a zombie apocalypse and read it... :D

My brother can read the 1000 page book in one day. :P

I can, too. But reading and learning aren't the same thing by a long shot- this isn't skimming. Also, book reading is something to do in the down time- at night, etc. It's not meant to be something you just do real quick so you can move on to the crafting. Working as intended imo and a change I fully support.

Realism or not, I just can't support this decision. When did standing around doing nothing in video games become fun or a good idea in any way?

I think time spent doing it is clearly necessary for the sake of the continuity of the presentation of realism in the game, but I think the amount of time that's now required is pushing the limit of what anyone would consider enjoyable. I don't know that my opinion amounts to much, but that's how I personally feel about it.

I mean whether it's something that's intended to be done during in-game down time or not, it's still time the player is going to spend staring at a progress bar, and in a game like PZ it's not like you can really match it to your own down time and leave your character to do it while you go do something else, because a zombie could break through defenses and attack you during that time. The combination of the nature of the game and the amount of time necessary to get through the book essentially means you're forcing the player to stare at that progress bar. I'd just as soon go read a book IRL instead.

I think an option to send your character to bed with a skill book, for something like a decrease in the speed pages are read and a slight increase in sleep time or something would be a much better option than having to just stand and watch a progress bar. At least then you're getting your sleep at the same time. I know that's when I get most of my reading done. Not when I'm actually sleeping mind you, but I get in bed with a good book before I go to sleep.

It's not meant to be read all at once though =\

A few minutes waiting for the sun to come up? Read. A few minutes waiting for things to cook? Read. Waiting for a partner to meet you somewhere? Read. I'm not sure how well the system is working with multiple readings right now, but no one is forcing you to stand there and do it all at once.

Regardless of whether or not books exist, there will be some times when you don't have anything to do for a minute or three. This is especially true with multiplayer when you can't sleep.

I will say I think you should be able to walk around while reading (which last I checked you couldn't). Being able to look around your house or patrol your street while reading would be plausible and make it a bit less painful.

It's not meant to be read all at once though =\

I will say I think you should be able to walk around while reading (which last I checked you couldn't). Being able to look around your house or patrol your street while reading would be plausible and make it a bit less painful.

When you're well organized in your approach to the apocalypse sometimes there's simply nothing else for you to do but get that skill book read so you can continue doing what you were doing. Although I do agree that being able to patrol at the same time would make a big difference. The whole cooking thing doesn't really work for me either though, because when you're doing that there's a whole other progress bar you need to be watching or you could burn your house down. The solution to having to stand around and watch a progress bar isn't standing around and watching a different progress bar.

And yeah, the whole stopping and starting thing does seem to be working better now. I had to stop to eat, drink, change my clothes, and read other books to cure boredom while I was getting it done, and was able to pick it back up at the correct spot each time. But you do have to see the irony there that it took so long that I had to stop reading one book to read another book to cure my character's boredom at having to stand around so long to read the first book. I couldn't help smiling at that one.

Has the spawning been changed at all? I'm in this area, and I keep clearing out surround zombies and they just keep spawning more as I walk back, and it's like multiples at a time, not just 1 or 2.

Confirmed.  I intentionally ensure no zed gets behind me while looting.  Always having an out is key to my survival.

I can drop a pack of zeds, continue forward, make a small, necessary retreat and there are 3 or 4 zeds standing behind me, just out of sight where everything WAS dead.

My outs are no longer guaranteed.  Kinda frustrating.

im having an issue on the mac version to which im not sure has been addressed yet, but besides only being to run the game in compatibility mode cus running it normally, everything works until i get in-game an the screen is all messed up an i cant see shit, to which will be fixed im sure. The main little issue im having is Sometimes when being in a house the walls don't become see through, i can see my character inside the house but it's still showing the walls on the outside, making it difficult to see where im walking an if there's a zombie infront of me. any fix for this atm ?

Has the spawning been changed at all? I'm in this area, and I keep clearing out surround zombies and they just keep spawning more as I walk back, and it's like multiples at a time, not just 1 or 2.

Confirmed.  I intentionally ensure no zed gets behind me while looting.  Always having an out is key to my survival.

I can drop a pack of zeds, continue forward, make a small, necessary retreat and there are 3 or 4 zeds standing behind me, just out of sight where everything WAS dead.

My outs are no longer guaranteed.  Kinda frustrating.

Yeah, not only that my exit path doesn't stay secure, I can't justify using my guns (partly to attract them so I can clear them) if I know they're just going to respawn in 10 seconds anyway, as opposed to hours or days in-game time.