Steam Release - 16th Feb 2014 - Build 23

RobertJohnson

This is the list of camping fuels, Literature is there but it appears in a separate part of the list from the other fuels.

Maybe this does let you have book burnings, but I hope they won't be common occurrences in the PZ world, what a waste!

campingFuelType = {
    FireWoodKit = 4.0,
    PercedWood = 4.0,
    Log = 4.0,
    Plank = 2.0,
    WoodenStick = 1.0,
}
campingFuelCategory = {
    Literature = 1.0
}

Java is included with the game.

Installing things doesn't affect it.

I've had to repeat this several hundred times for Windows users -- please, don't make me do it again for you.

I don't care about Windows, installing Java did affect it before. If Java is included with it, then fix it.

The application stub has been rebuilt from scratch to utilize java 7. The game will not work with Java 6. Having Java 6 or Java 7 installed should have no effect, as Java 7 is now bundled directly within the game for both Mac and Windows (Linux pending).

I'm afraid I can only help you fix your problems, Dida. If you say you have several versions of Java installed, as seemed to be previously indicated, Java likely wouldn't be your problem in any case -- if it were, you'd likely receive an explicate error telling you the game isn't a valid Java application, rather than it just failing.

I just want to make sure: have you tried launching the game directly, rather than through a shortcut or through Steam? This should be indicated as a fix for some people on the first post.

Not a real problem, but something I've observed when tending my garden is that if I use a water bottle on a plant to water it fully, it drains the bottle completely and unequips it from the primary slot, leaving the slot empty. The next plant I go to water, the game doesn't necessarily select another water bottle to use, it could just as easily use a mildew spray or insect spray, which is a criminal waste of precious resources.

Please could it be set in future builds that spray cans containing insect or mildew mixture are not automatically used to water plants with, and that if you empty a water bottle on a plant, another water bottle (if it's in inventory) is equipped by default?

I personally would prefer to have bucket, pot, kettle (any larger volume source or water) to be used first, before going to bottle. But yes - same type of container (by volume - since there are couple of water bottles?) is best suited, then again this is a suggestion and should go into that ... land.

Has there been some changes concerning chances of infection when bitten ?

I'm in a "test run" and I've been bitten twice already, I haven't seen any sign of infection after 3 days. Is it possible than the lucky trait played a part in my surprisingly good health ? (as well as the thick-skinned trait). Maybe I talked too soon and I'll poop my guts in a few hours tho...

I'm in a "test run" and I've been bitten twice already and I haven't seen any sign of infection after 3 days. Is it possible than the lucky trait played a role in it ? (as well as the thick-skinned trait). Maybe I talked too soon and I'll poop my guts in a few hours tho...

This doesn't sound right. I can only assume its a bug. You were 100% definitely bitten not scratched?

Dida take my word for it, I'm the fucking Mac expert here. Java is packaged with the game and functional, using Java 7. You need to launch directly via the JavaAppLauncher if you want to play right now.

Edit: to be clear, I spent about 20 hours of working sorting the OS X shit- if you really want an in depth outline of what I did I can provide it, but I wouldn't recommend sitting in here and arguing with people who did the work on this stuff.

I'm in a "test run" and I've been bitten twice already, I haven't seen any sign of infection after 3 days. Is it possible than the lucky trait played a part in my surprisingly good health ? (as well as the thick-skinned trait). Maybe I talked too soon and I'll poop my guts in a few hours tho...

If you have the lucky and thick-skinned traits, then I am quite sure this is why you weren't infected after two bites.

Who knows though, maybe the third bite might be the charm? ;)

At the charactercreationscreen, there are beards in the bodytype-option for male gender, so there are more bodies available than it makes sense. I think they're missing in the beards-option.

Edit: Also many of the "new" edited-houses have many bathroom-loot in dressers, commodes.

Anyway, until now Build 23 has more positives than negatives aspects for me :)

Yop.

i don't know if it's a bug, but i reload my last world ( where my last character is dead eaten by tons of zombies ).

I'm returned where the crime had been committed ( for gathering my old stuff) but he still dead, he don't turn into zombies, normal ?

17? Got into the house and tried to put the sheet on the window. The way was obscured and so character went to do it from outside (through closed window). I tried to close curtains from there, but that options was missing - I still had one to put the sheet on. I've tried it and saw a progress over his head (not in inventory) but nothing happened (haven't lost sheet or anything). I was able to close them from inside.

EDIT:

Proof, in case it's a map issue - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=225769201

Bug with zombification : I've been bitten, and, after disease, had the "zombified" status (it appears during sleeping). But my character don't dead... he kept the "zombified" status, and his health decrease, but that's all... I just have to sleep to heal myself.

I'm in a "test run" and I've been bitten twice already and I haven't seen any sign of infection after 3 days. Is it possible than the lucky trait played a role in it ? (as well as the thick-skinned trait). Maybe I talked too soon and I'll poop my guts in a few hours tho...

This doesn't sound right. I can only assume its a bug. You were 100% definitely bitten not scratched?

Yep 100% sure, bitten + bleeding twice. Maybe the fact I'm eating good food slowed the process down or something. I'll play some more tonight and keep you updated if nothing's happening :) But yeah I don't remind having no sign of infection passed 3 days in the previous versions.

If it's happened twice, it's luck. ;)

If it's  happened three times . . . Well, we'll have to burn you at the stake and acquire your computer for analysis. =D

Nuuuuu not the stake ! D:

Tho for the PC analysis part, I'm all for it if you guys are up buy me a new one :geek:  I might try my luck and get a 3rd bite.

Went to continue my game from yesterday.  I select the savegame, click play, then the character generation screen comes up.  I went ahead and continued through that and trait generation, then ran to my safehouse.  Nothing there.

Now that I've done that, I can successfully reload todays (nothingness) game, but clicking on the original save still brings up character generation...

I'm only a little disappointed... I don't think I've every had a character last over a month, and I've never had such success before with farming.

Dida take my word for it, I'm the fucking Mac expert here. Java is packaged with the game and functional, using Java 7. You need to launch directly via the JavaAppLauncher if you want to play right now.

Edit: to be clear, I spent about 20 hours of working sorting the OS X shit- if you really want an in depth outline of what I did I can provide it, but I wouldn't recommend sitting in here and arguing with people who did the work on this stuff.

How come only I have this problem (again)? Wtf is JavaAppLauncher?

Went to continue my game from yesterday.  I select the savegame, click play, then the character generation screen comes up.  I went ahead and continued through that and trait generation, then ran to my safehouse.  Nothing there.

Now that I've done that, I can successfully reload todays (nothingness) game, but clicking on the original save still brings up character generation...

I'm only a little disappointed... I don't think I've every had a character last over a month, and I've never had such success before with farming.

Sometimes save files are dumped into %username%\zomboid\survival\ or \sandbox\ at this point. You can fix it by dragging them into their own uniquely named folder.

Bit of a pain, I know. =)

I don't know if this has been reported yet, but zooming out on the death screen causes lots of graphical weirdness.

A time-honored staple since the first days of zoom. =D

It's not only you. Several other Mac users (probably all of the ones in this group except for the people I helped) have.

The old version of PZ for OS X was bundled with JavaApplicationStub. That's a form of executable file that starts the JVM and runs the game. Since Apple designed JVM 6 for OS X (not Oracle), JavaApplicationStub was specific to Apple JVM's (which stopped at 6 when Oracle took over). With the help of EasyPickens, I updated the App Bundle for OS X so it would use Oracle's Java 7. This fixes several issues we've had and gets the launcher working for us flawlessly. Java 7 JVM for OS X is made by Oracle (rather than Apple) and uses their own proprietary executable- the JavaAppLauncher.

Steam only allows us to point to *one* executable for the entire game, on all of the branches. So since the public version hasn't been updated yet, we have to leave this one broken for OS X until it's ready for release. In the mean time, we can play on this build by using the JavaAppLauncher directly. I made a video showing how to get to it (which happens to also be the way to get Console/Terminal output for OS X).

It's not only you. Several other Mac users (probably all of the ones in this group except for the people I helped) have.

The old version of PZ for OS X was bundled with JavaApplicationStub. That's a form of executable file that starts the JVM and runs the game. Since Apple designed JVM 6 for OS X (not Oracle), JavaApplicationStub was specific to Apple JVM's (which stopped at 6 when Oracle took over). With the help of EasyPickens, I updated the App Bundle for OS X so it would use Oracle's Java 7. This fixes several issues we've had and gets the launcher working for us flawlessly. Java 7 JVM for OS X is made by Oracle (rather than Apple) and uses their own proprietary executable- the JavaAppLauncher.

Steam only allows us to point to *one* executable for the entire game, on all of the branches. So since the public version hasn't been updated yet, we have to leave this one broken for OS X until it's ready for release. In the mean time, we can play on this build by using the JavaAppLauncher directly. I made a video showing how to get to it (which happens to also be the way to get Console/Terminal output for OS X).

EnigmaGrey told me it was only me, that's why I was worried. Or maybe it was RoboMat. Thanks anyway.

Hey guys. Been playing Zomboid off and on for forever, but haven't joined the forums until now.

Not sure if this is limited to build 23, but I just ran accross an interesting exploit:

When you've got an empty sandbag and a spade, choose Take Some Dirt from your dropdown menu. Then select Empty Sandbag from the sub menu. If you immediately right click again, going into the submenu before the action is completed, the container will still be called Empty Sandbag. Wait for the action to complete while looking at the submenu. The name of the container doesn't change to Dirtbag yet. If you click on Empty Sandbag again, it doesn't fill the existing Dirtbag. It will create a new, second dirtbag!

I've only tried this with dirt, since it doesn't go away when you grab it. So you can quickly right click the same square over and over again. By emptying out these dirtbags and doing this again, you can double your dirtbags every time.

Hey guys. Been playing Zomboid off and on for forever, but haven't joined the forums until now.

Not sure if this is limited to build 23, but I just ran accross an interesting exploit:

When you've got an empty sandbag and a spade, choose Take Some Dirt from your dropdown menu. Then select Empty Sandbag from the sub menu. If you immediately right click again, going into the submenu before the action is completed, the container will still be called Empty Sandbag. Wait for the action to complete while looking at the submenu. The name of the container doesn't change to Dirtbag yet. If you click on Empty Sandbag again, it doesn't fill the existing Dirtbag. It will create a new, second dirtbag!

I've only tried this with dirt, since it doesn't go away when you grab it. So you can quickly right click the same square over and over again. By emptying out these dirtbags and doing this again, you can double your dirtbags every time.

should be reported in the support section!! But that's an interesting bug ^_^

Which one of the issues I raised was due to a rounding error, if I may enquire?

What I did notice is that the different zoom levels have some part to play in whether objects can be interacted with properly. There are five levels of zooms from closest to furthest away (1 to 5). Level 2, 3 and 4 seem to mostly play nicely, but level 1 almost never works correctly for me, and level 5 I don't use much except when out on scouting/looting runs.

The tile the mouse was over wasn't the one the game thought the mouse was over.  Zoom level affected it as well.