Steam Release - 16th Feb 2014 - Build 23

RobertJohnson

Does make it harder for new characters in the same world though.  And books make good campfire fuel.  ;-)

Yeah I feel the skill books will be rushed and stacked when persistent MP comes to life ! New characters in already advanced servers will have to be self-taught builders & farmers ;o

A previously suggested "teaching function" where new players could gain skills from more experienced NPCs or players would minimize the newbie disadvantage.  It would also promote cooperation.  It would also make high level characters extremely valuable to the group.

That's a pretty awesome suggestion indeed ! I luff it

Oh by the way, If you start reading a skill book next to a bed and sleep you can read while sleeping. Means you can read an entire skill book in one night of sleep, I call hax !

Fixed, thank you.

My pleasure :3

Does make it harder for new characters in the same world though.  And books make good campfire fuel.  ;-)

Yeah I feel the skill books will be rushed and stacked when persistent MP comes to life ! New characters in already advanced servers will have to be self-taught builders & farmers ;o

A previously suggested "teaching function" where new players could gain skills from more experienced NPCs or players would minimize the newbie disadvantage.  It would also promote cooperation.  It would also make high level characters extremely valuable to the group.

Wow it's a really great suggestion!!!

Few more issues (some probably exist with old release as well)

1) Having trowel and spade show "remove" options, but each of them pick spade as "working" item

2) Hit esc to open game menu, enter options, hit esc to get back to game, at this stage hitting esc moves to options screen (where I have to get back, in order to choose exit or see a build number)

3) When issuing multiple sawing command, only first one shows progress bar inside inventory (rest only over the character)

4) When game is paused hovering over inventory items doesn't work (sometimes flicker)

5) Weird weight bug - bag in bag

6) Tasty soup - option is drink, inventory is showing eating

7) Can't build crate on top of other crate - infinite move

1) Fixed

2) Going to say not a bug, it could work either way

3) This is a problem for all timed actions it seems.  The progress is being updated on the first item (which is used up already) while the action on the second item is being performed.  Not sure how I'm going to fix that.

4) Fixed.  This was needed when the in-game windows were still visible in the main menu, but they're hidden now.

5) Will look into this

6) Fixed

7) Not sure what you mean.

7) Can't build crate on top of other crate - infinite move

7) Not sure what you mean.

What I was trying to do is build a crate on top of previous crate that I've built. When issued the command when character was standing right next to it, he started moving in a direction of existing crate but was going nowhere shuffling at that spot.

When I tried to recreate that behaviour just now, I noticed that although create does look to be on top of the previous one (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=225487658) my character tries to create it on ground somewhere north of existing crate. The reason he was going so mad last time is that the position north of the existing crate is a walled of area and it couldn't find path (I guess).

So the question is - can I build a crate on top of previous one?

Also one more thing worth mentioning...

8) mouse button is handled by more than one handler - ex building wooden tile can open/close window/door.

That game isn't updating for me on steam, not sure why. It's never hiccuped before and I'm not on a Mac. I've restarted Steam several times, and tweaked with the preferences in all manner of ways to test it but I should be updating the latest beta builds.

That game isn't updating for me on steam, not sure why. It's never hiccuped before and I'm not on a Mac. I've restarted Steam several times, and tweaked with the preferences in all manner of ways to test it but I should be updating the latest beta builds.

Did you change to the IWBMS branch by entering the password?

I've torn myself away from Build 23 to point out a couple of things that I've noticed that behave differently from build 21.

First off, skill books are being consumed on use. I've levelled up with skill books twice now, and both times the books disappeared from my inventory after reading them.

Clicking on objects in the world don't always register as they should. The tile selected under the mouse cursor isn't always where the object placed will end up being placed. This goes for tending garden plots, operating switches, and placing crafted items (crates, barricades, windows, fridges, room switches, etc). When selecting containers you have to stand in front of them and select the container in the loot window, but you used to be able to just click on the container to make it open in the loot window.

The trick with gardening (and selecting other objects), I've found, is to click two squares to the west (assuming the highway in Muldraugh runs north-south, which I think is correct) but it is very disconcerting since you can't be 100% sure if you tended all your crops properly since your character doesn't always stand on the plot he/she is tending.

When digging plots, I found that the placeable plot icon that appears to select where to dig moves further from under the mouse cursor the further your mouse is from the centre of the screen. This is tricky to explain, and the screenshots I took to illustrate this won't work since the mouse cursor doesn't appear in them.

Right click menus don't always appear on objects that can be selected. This is not just the issue mentioned above, I'm thinking of the walk to, build and dig sub menus, this ought to be available to select almost anywhere you can click on the ground, but it often doesn't appear. The workaround is to right click on a placed object (plot, door, crate, etc) and then choose the option you want and place it.

I must point out that the new features more than make up for these few niggles, onwards to the next release where hopefully they will be sorted. Build 24, ho! :)

There is something broken with resizing the window by dragging the edges that breaks the mouse clicking.

So the question is - can I build a crate on top of previous one?

Press 'R' to choose a higher/lower crate.

Thank you.

On a sad note:

9) Harvesting potato still leaves the bush (without even an option to remove it)

2014-02-08_before_after.jpg

10) Potato plants in my old safehouse that I barely visited are -6/7 and -7/7 ;-)

2014-02-07_00003.jpg

(might be related that it's a conversion and they might have had something going on in 21 release)

EDIT:

11) Kindling has question mark as icon

12) Digging with trowel in main inventory first digs, then equips (removing has correct order)

13) Digging with trowel in main slot doesn't show status or progress in inventory (removing does)

I've torn myself away from Build 23 to point out a couple of things that I've noticed that behave differently from build 21.

First off, skill books are being consumed on use. I've levelled up with skill books twice now, and both times the books disappeared from my inventory after reading them.

Clicking on objects in the world don't always register as they should. The tile selected under the mouse cursor isn't always where the object placed will end up being placed. This goes for tending garden plots, operating switches, and placing crafted items (crates, barricades, windows, fridges, room switches, etc). When selecting containers you have to stand in front of them and select the container in the loot window, but you used to be able to just click on the container to make it open in the loot window.

The trick with gardening (and selecting other objects), I've found, is to click two squares to the west (assuming the highway in Muldraugh runs north-south, which I think is correct) but it is very disconcerting since you can't be 100% sure if you tended all your crops properly since your character doesn't always stand on the plot he/she is tending.

When digging plots, I found that the placeable plot icon that appears to select where to dig moves further from under the mouse cursor the further your mouse is from the centre of the screen. This is tricky to explain, and the screenshots I took to illustrate this won't work since the mouse cursor doesn't appear in them.

Right click menus don't always appear on objects that can be selected. This is not just the issue mentioned above, I'm thinking of the walk to, build and dig sub menus, this ought to be available to select almost anywhere you can click on the ground, but it often doesn't appear. The workaround is to right click on a placed object (plot, door, crate, etc) and then choose the option you want and place it.

I must point out that the new features more than make up for these few niggles, onwards to the next release where hopefully they will be sorted. Build 24, ho! :)

There is something broken with resizing the window by dragging the edges that breaks the mouse clicking.

Fixed.  It was a rounding error.

EDIT:

12) Digging with trowel in main inventory first digs, then equips (removing has correct order)

13) Digging with trowel in main slot doesn't show status or progress in inventory (removing does)

12) This seems to be working, maybe it looked wrong because of #13.

13) The "Dig" action took 0 time, that's why there was no progress. Fixed.

I installed Java 7 and it still doesn't work :/

Java is included with the game.

Installing things doesn't affect it.

I highly doubt that. It never worked without Java 6 installed, it doesn't work at all now.

I've had to repeat this several hundred times for Windows users -- please, don't make me do it again for you.

And books make good campfire fuel.  ;-)

Methinks EasyPickins doth jest, because there's no mention of books fueling campfires in camping_fuel.lua.

Logs, planks sticks - even kindling and drilled planks - are mentioned as being valid valid fuel for fires, but no books...

Fixed.  It was a rounding error.

Which one of the issues I raised was due to a rounding error, if I may enquire?

What I did notice is that the different zoom levels have some part to play in whether objects can be interacted with properly. There are five levels of zooms from closest to furthest away (1 to 5). Level 2, 3 and 4 seem to mostly play nicely, but level 1 almost never works correctly for me, and level 5 I don't use much except when out on scouting/looting runs.

I installed Java 7 and it still doesn't work :/

I highly doubt that. It never worked without Java 6 installed, it doesn't work at all now.

I've had to repeat this several hundred times for Windows users -- please, don't make me do it again for you.

I don't care about Windows, installing Java did affect it before. If Java is included with it, then fix it.

I don't care about Windows, installing Java did affect it before. If Java is included with it, then fix it.

The problem with fixing is it seems this problem is unique to you, and no-one knows why it's happening. We only have your info to go by.

EDIT:

12) This seems to be working, maybe it looked wrong because of #13.

13) The "Dig" action took 0 time, that's why there was no progress. Fixed.

13) That's not what I can see - I see both actions having it's progress bar showing for ~2s over the player, just dig isn't visible in inventory as well

15) Character can't build a wooden floor on the other side of the door

so....

16) As per issues #8 and #15 I managed to: close the door and have character walk in place, trying to go through the closed door (good thing drop from inventory wasn't registered)

And books make good campfire fuel.  ;-)

Methinks EasyPickins doth jest, because there's no mention of books fueling campfires in camping_fuel.lua.

Logs, planks sticks - even kindling and drilled planks - are mentioned as being valid valid fuel for fires, but no books...

I though I saw something about literature being a new camping fuel and there already was part of the code that was checking the literature as fuel in 21.

It works fine for me on Mavericks. I didn't have to install anything manually. IIRC you have same system as me - Late 2010 MBP? Did you make a clean install of Mavericks or did you "update"?