Steam Release - 16th Feb 2014 - Build 23

RobertJohnson

yes..... mac.... :/ Both EVE Online patch and Zomboid patch have not worked today which all directs me to one thing..... buy a PC. :)

Mac and gaming don't go together too well, there's a solution to it all though.

For instance, as a programmer/designer I need my mac, I can't live without it. So, I made a partition of about 100GB (out of my 500GB) with a Windows 7 on it, all my gaming happens over here :P

That's not really an accurate assessment. Out of the box they might not be compatible, but that has nothing to do with Macs- it has to do with devs. And as a small aside, in the last 4 years there's only been one game I haven't been able to get running on OS X as fast as or faster than it does on Windows.

Would be interested in hearing more on how the choice of programming language affects a program's internal windowing system, related coordinate calculations and storage of associated data.

Since the internal windowing system is not affected by FS/WM (it only knows location of the window within the boundaries - at least should), the only logical explanation was that is breaks somewhere at the contact with the graphic engine. In that case switching the engine would solve the problem... and I just wanted to used that opportunity to share my disappointment, that we haven't got the new 3d models in... guess that just backfired more than I hoped for ;-)

... but as EasyPickins mentioned it's related to the new "feature" where all windows are hidden when switching to menu, so that windows at the bottom of the screen won't cover menu buttons.

• When filling dirt/gravel/sand bags from the ground, only 1/4 of the bag is filled each time. Submenus let you choose exactly which bag to use. Also, the player must walk next to the spot when filling a bag.

So, can I get gravel from drives now? Never used to work before.

Hell of an update btw! Thanks :)

Edit (Sorry for laziness): Nope. So where to get gravel from (That's not loot)?

th_screenshot_07-02-2014_10-25-24.png

This release is very smooth, wow. Now I can play at almost maximum settings with no lag. Good job.

The only thing that worried me yesterday was that when my character died and the game exited to desktop, I had a blue screen of death instead of my desktop. 
Was the laptop overheating or someone had the same problem? 
(Never happened that playing zomboid the computer had such a blue screen of death)

Aye, we've have issues with over heating before (even MineCraft has, bizarrely). Might want to get a program like CPU-Z and check your temps, just to be safe.

Not that blue screens can't happen for other reasons -- checking your Event Viewer might be worth your time.

Eliijahh

i have same trouble, my PC give me BLUE only after PZ in 10-15 sec

i play DOTA 2 at maximum set-s,X-com enemy within (max set-s) and TF 2 , but BLUE only after PZ play

but i like this game )) after that release game become playable, thx Indies (clyde)

after PZ is mean i close the game or die and game closing,then BLUE SCREEN appears

and one question: why the game is clossing after death? is like "oh,dude, you died already now get lost " :evil:

Eliijahh

i have same trouble, my PC give me BLUE only after PZ in 10-15 sec

i play DOTA 2 at maximum set-s,X-com enemy within (max set-s) and TF 2 , but BLUE only after PZ play

but i like this game )) after that release game become playable, thx Indies (clyde)

after PZ is mean i close the game or die and game closing,then BLUE SCREEN appears

and one question: why the game is clossing after death? is like "oh,dude, you died already now get lost " :evil:

Aye, we've have issues with over heating before (even MineCraft has, bizarrely). Might want to get a program like CPU-Z and check your temps, just to be safe.

Not that blue screens can't happen for other reasons -- checking your Event Viewer might be worth your time.

The game is meant to close after death, as the alternative is a rather unpleasant memory leak right now.

Just a very minor thing: I am playing a female character at the moment, and i noticed that the sprite for the skirt isn't working. I can wear it, but Missy is still walking in her underpants. Allthough it is summer, i want to bash them zombies with some style :P.

When placing items from a bag the inventory where I am placing into, goes back to the main/floor inventory.

Like when placing things in fridge, I need to select the fridge again to place more in it.

I think that is a new bug.

Edited by Someone

When loading I was now asked to make a new character, but the current one is not dead.

Here is what happened

-Updated game

-Deleteted the old world I had, I now had no worlds

- started new survial game

-played for a little while, killed 3-4 zombies, never hurt

-saved game

-was sent to main screen not exit

-went to load game

-got screen to make new character

edit:

Timestamp on save game and save folder is also wrong. But last played time stamp is correct.

edit 2:

I replicated what I did first time and it happened again.

When making the new world the text field shows todays date, but the actual save folder gets named 24-01-2014_09-33-31

That date could be the last time I played, not sure.

Liking the new build very much!

Are books supposed to be consumed after reading?

Skill books should still exists, but normal books and newspapers are consumed.

Sorry, I should have been more specific... Skill Books.

Reading them is much more drawn out, and they disappear after completion.

I've torn myself away from Build 23 to point out a couple of things that I've noticed that behave differently from build 21.

First off, skill books are being consumed on use. I've levelled up with skill books twice now, and both times the books disappeared from my inventory after reading them.

Clicking on objects in the world don't always register as they should. The tile selected under the mouse cursor isn't always where the object placed will end up being placed. This goes for tending garden plots, operating switches, and placing crafted items (crates, barricades, windows, fridges, room switches, etc). When selecting containers you have to stand in front of them and select the container in the loot window, but you used to be able to just click on the container to make it open in the loot window.

The trick with gardening (and selecting other objects), I've found, is to click two squares to the west (assuming the highway in Muldraugh runs north-south, which I think is correct) but it is very disconcerting since you can't be 100% sure if you tended all your crops properly since your character doesn't always stand on the plot he/she is tending.

When digging plots, I found that the placeable plot icon that appears to select where to dig moves further from under the mouse cursor the further your mouse is from the centre of the screen. This is tricky to explain, and the screenshots I took to illustrate this won't work since the mouse cursor doesn't appear in them.

Right click menus don't always appear on objects that can be selected. This is not just the issue mentioned above, I'm thinking of the walk to, build and dig sub menus, this ought to be available to select almost anywhere you can click on the ground, but it often doesn't appear. The workaround is to right click on a placed object (plot, door, crate, etc) and then choose the option you want and place it.

I must point out that the new features more than make up for these few niggles, onwards to the next release where hopefully they will be sorted. Build 24, ho! :)

When loading I was now asked to make a new character, but the current one is not dead.

Here is what happened

-Updated game

-Deleteted the old world I had, I now had no worlds

- started new survial game

-played for a little while, killed 3-4 zombies, never hurt

-saved game

-was sent to main screen not exit

-went to load game

-got screen to make new character

edit:

Timestamp on save game and save folder is also wrong. But last played time stamp is correct.

edit 2:

I replicated what I did first time and it happened again.

When making the new world the text field shows todays date, but the actual save folder gets named 24-01-2014_09-33-31

That date could be the last time I played, not sure.

Every now and then, the game dumps the saved files to the main directory (Sandbox or Survival). If you move these into their own folder, it should correct this.

Skill books are meant to be 'used up' the same as all Literature items like newspapers and such.  There was a bug where sometimes the read-a-book action wouldn't run all the way through.  The skill book would get fully read but then the action would finish early so the item wouldn't get used.  Does make it harder for new characters in the same world though.  And books make good campfire fuel.  ;-)

Does make it harder for new characters in the same world though.  And books make good campfire fuel.  ;-)

Yeah I feel the skill books will be rushed and stacked when persistent MP comes to life ! New characters in already advanced servers will have to be self-taught builders & farmers ;o

Oh by the way, If you start reading a skill book next to a bed and sleep you can read while sleeping. Means you can read an entire skill book in one night of sleep, I call hax !

Skill books are meant to be 'used up' the same as all Literature items like newspapers and such.  There was a bug where sometimes the read-a-book action wouldn't run all the way through.  The skill book would get fully read but then the action would finish early so the item wouldn't get used.  Does make it harder for new characters in the same world though.  And books make good campfire fuel.  ;-)

Gotcha, so it's acting as intended.

Few more issues (some probably exist with old release as well)

1) Having trowel and spade show "remove" options, but each of them pick spade as "working" item

2) Hit esc to open game menu, enter options, hit esc to get back to game, at this stage hitting esc moves to options screen (where I have to get back, in order to choose exit or see a build number)

3) When issuing multiple sawing command, only first one shows progress bar inside inventory (rest only over the character)

4) When game is paused hovering over inventory items doesn't work (sometimes flicker)

5) Weird weight bug - bag in bag

6) Tasty soup - option is drink, inventory is showing eating

7) Can't build crate on top of other crate - infinite move

Apart from that - few hours and in-game days continuing my players struggle and no big error or problem with controls. City is a lot faster to go through with improved performance.

Does make it harder for new characters in the same world though.  And books make good campfire fuel.  ;-)

Yeah I feel the skill books will be rushed and stacked when persistent MP comes to life ! New characters in already advanced servers will have to be self-taught builders & farmers ;o

A previously suggested "teaching function" where new players could gain skills from more experienced NPCs or players would minimize the newbie disadvantage.  It would also promote cooperation.  It would also make high level characters extremely valuable to the group.