Steam Release - 16th Feb 2014 - Build 23

RobertJohnson

Very much looking forward to this release.

I know your shady dev tricks to make the fix list look longer :lol:  but you had a few duplicated sections there.

• Light switches and lamps should Just Work ™ now.  Whether a light switch is on or off is now saved (which required the world version to be bumped).  Plus, turning a lamp on or off in a room will no longer turn all the room's lights on/off.  Light switches have a higher priority than other objects so they're easier to click on (I figure that's ok since they're so tiny, they won't block you clicking on important stuff usually).  Also street lights don't mysteriously shut off after you leave an area or reload your game.  And Mash has been busy adding missing switches and lamps to the map.
  • Fixed not being able to click the scrollbar in the options screen when scrolled down.
  • Fixed the Reload difficulty combobox getting repositioned after clicking (it's position was getting restricted to the screen size even though it is in a scrolling parent widget).
  • Made a few attempts to fix weapon-related bugs.  The timed action queue would sometimes get broken when firing/reloading while other actions were in progress.
  • Fixed hovering the mouse over the moodles at non-100% zoom.
  • Fixed multiple attacks per attack animation while holding down the left mouse button.  This doesn't fix the pistol shooting too quickly, it has a very short attack animation.
  • Fixed the shotgun sprite not rendering while aiming it.
  • Fixed the mousewheel not working in the character-creation screens.  The main options screen was getting the mousewheel events even though it was hidden.
  • Fixed the traits list in character creation not scrolling properly after removing traits from it.
  • Fixed dragging tabs out of the character info window.   Now when you drag a tab out to a separate window, that window will be toggled by the hotkey.  So if you drag the health tab out, 'h' will hide/show just that window.  Ditto for the skills and traits tabs.
  • Squares along chunk boundaries were all marked as blocked in the NE or SW directions.  Tracked this down after I saw some weird lighting on the ground near a streetlight.  Probably affected pathfinding too.
  • Light switches were using 30 days as the electricity cuttoff date when they should have been using the sandbox option (14 days in survival).
  • Ambient light from outside buildings shines through windows and doors so rooms aren't quite as dark at night.  The code for this was already in there but got broken at some point.
  • UIElement no longer creates a double-click if the mouse moved more than 5 pixels in any direction from the initial click.

Then

• Fire fixes:
    • MIssing sprites.  Still some missing smoke sprites due to a naming issue in the pack file.
    • The same fire added twice to the global list of fires.
    • Fire objects not getting removed from the square they were on after they burned out.
    • NullPointerException due to fires getting added where they weren't allowed.
    • Characters that were burning when saving the game weren't given fire sprites or light after loading.
    • When a real zombie was turned into a virtual one the fire sprites and light were not removed from it, so when it got turned into a real zombie later it looked like it was burning.
  • Got the molotov weapon working pretty well.  No idea if they can be crafted or not.  You can see the molotov flying through the air when thrown (It was using a sprite that didn't exist).  After throwing, another molotov will be chosen as the current weapon if the player has one rather than switching to some other weapon.  The throw physics needs work.  Currently, the closer the target, the lower the throw velocity.
  • Crafting stairs bugs fixed.  There was a field not being saved that caused crafted stairs to become blocked when trying to use them.  There was also a bigger issue that put new grid squares into the wrong location, so when you went up the stairs there was no floor tile at the top and you ended up floating on z=1.  The fix for that might break other stuff though. :shock:

Then

• Added mouse-over highlighting to combobox choices.
  • Added 'walk to' timed actions before using a water source, using a stove, or grabbing items off the ground.  No more refilling your bottles from across the room.
  • When clicking on a container in the world, that container will be highlighted in the loot window, but only if the container is in the loot window.  Previously, some other container (or none) would be highlighted even though the clicked container's contents were in the list.
  • Added a 'layout manager' to remember the size/position/visibility/pinned state of the various game windows.  It remembers this at each different resolution.  All the info is saved to layout.ini in the user's Zomboid folder whenever the game is saved.  I'm a bit nervous about it causing exceptions right when the game is saving though. :cry:

@miasmata: Nice, that you are reporting bugs, but you have to post in the right thread (bugreport thread), use the right version (atm its build 21), search the bugreport thread, if your bug is already reported. If your bug isnt reported, make a report "using" the rules for posting bugreports. If your bug is already reported you can still confirm, that you also experienced it.

(correct me, if im wrong, im a forumnoob. My own bugreports proof that.)

@topic: Upcoming? How high does it want to go? I cant wait anymore. Poor Dale Cook had to eat a rotten uncooked dead rat i stored in a dead zombie, because i was bored. It helped a bit.

Personally, I don't understand why there at least isn't a release candidate in the iwillbackupmysave option on Steam. From what's been listed this seems like the perfect time to get this 'Beta' build available in that format and try to iron out a few more bugs before the actual Beta Release becomes the official current build (whenever that's supposed to be, but my money is on before the month is out) That sure is a big list of 'fixes' that need to be tested, sure would be a shame if they say 'It's in Beta, yay!' and then the game crashes on half the player-base's computers.

Then again, I understand how difficult it is to program pretty much anything and Indie Stone's problems are compounded by having an international team, three different distributors of their game that each need to be kept running, and being forced to rework just about everything pertaining to rendering the game in order to not have people's computers 'shit the bed.' That's not to mention how few people are actually working on the game when considering the scope of their ambition.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly annoyed, despite everything I just said in defence of their current 'release schedule.' Just releasing a hotfix on major bugs that are in the game now (namely crops turning invisible and every day being a thunderstorm) would be fantastic. I need mah sustenance, brah. Ya feel me?

*snip*

• Crafting stairs bugs fixed.  There was a field not being saved that caused crafted stairs to become blocked when trying to use them.  There was also a bigger issue that put new grid squares into the wrong location, so when you went up the stairs there was no floor tile at the top and you ended up floating on z=1.  The fix for that might break other stuff though. :shock:

*snip*

Does this mean second floor building is solved? I can't seem to find the thread that had *someone* saying it was fixed on the current dev build. I'm just lookin for confirmation i guess.

Personally, I don't understand why there at least isn't a release candidate in the iwillbackupmysave option on Steam. From what's been listed this seems like the perfect time to get this 'Beta' build available in that format and try to iron out a few more bugs before the actual Beta Release becomes the official current build (whenever that's supposed to be, but my money is on before the month is out) That sure is a big list of 'fixes' that need to be tested, sure would be a shame if they say 'It's in Beta, yay!' and then the game crashes on half the player-base's computers.

That's why there still is internal testing ;)

*snip*

*snip*

Does this mean second floor building is solved? I can't seem to find the thread that had *someone* saying it was fixed on the current dev build. I'm just lookin for confirmation i guess.

It seems fixed.  I can build a 3-story tower with stairs and floors on each level.

*snip*

*snip*

It seems fixed.  I can build a 3-story tower with stairs and floors on each level.

dude, teach me!

Update ;)

[NEW STUFF]

• You can now build light sources, for now only one : some planks, some nails + a torchlight and here you go, a 4 directions torchlight on a wooden pillar, don't forget to turn it off when you leave your base as it drain energy ! Also don't forget to change the battery some times.. ;) Note : This is fully moddable, you can do light source with everything you want, including fuel you want (or no fuel but just a life, like for candle, but those are planned already :D), don't hesitate if you have some question on it !

[bALANCE]

• Changed things in the torch lighting, first all light source are a bit stronger (candles, lighter and torch light), plus the torch flicker is now much more realistic.

[bUG FIX]

• Fixed some minor bugs in farming, camping (mainly due to map streaming, where your stuff just disapear etc.), plus some in the skill books and carpentry.

There's also lot of work done on controller, the game is almost playable with them (I focused on menu via controller, but also fixed some bugs in game with a controller, now I need to add the skill panel etc. for controller... :D)

I dont think they sell the things i need for an xbox360 controller here in sweden.

what things do you need for an xbox360 controller?! I have one but will have to buy a generic one for the older gta versions... San Andreas and Vice City don't work well with the xbox controller

Update ;)

[NEW STUFF]

• You can now build light sources, for now only one : some planks, some nails + a torchlight and here you go, a 4 directions torchlight on a wooden pillar, don't forget to turn it off when you leave your base as it drain energy ! Also don't forget to change the battery some times.. ;) Note : This is fully moddable, you can do light source with everything you want, including fuel you want (or no fuel but just a life, like for candle, but those are planned already :D), don't hesitate if you have some question on it !

[bALANCE]

• Changed things in the torch lighting, first all light source are a bit stronger (candles, lighter and torch light), plus the torch flicker is now much more realistic.

[bUG FIX]

• Fixed some minor bugs in farming, camping (mainly due to map streaming, where your stuff just disapear etc.), plus some in the skill books and carpentry.

There's also lot of work done on controller, the game is almost playable with them (I focused on menu via controller, but also fixed some bugs in game with a controller, now I need to add the skill panel etc. for controller... :D)

Just a tip but when you explain the torchlight post thing?

It might help to use the word Flashlight instead of torchlight for clarity.

From what I can understand you can craft a post and put a lightsource on it that shines in 4 directions? (Flashlight/Lighter/Candle)

So is the purpose of this like making a Lamp?  So you can light your house/base?

Or is this something you would put outside your house so you could look out the window and see if there were any zombies?  (I assume not as this would attract zombies?)

I think I'd just add lightbulbs to the game and craft lamps...making a lamp out of a lighter is just asking to burn your house down...

Well i never used a logitech controller but my friend is playing Dark Souls with a logitech controller and that game is supposed to be played with an xbox controller so i hope it will work fine with PZ aswell :)

PS3 Controller is an option too if you have one lying around, you just need a little extra software such as the DS3 tool or similar.

Also, WOW that is a long change list! Cant wait to try it out :D

*snip*

*snip*

Thank you! (tophat)  I can't wait to get back to building my epic base...

I dont think they sell the things i need for an xbox360 controller here in sweden.

what things do you need for an xbox360 controller?! I have one but will have to buy a generic one for the older gta versions... San Andreas and Vice City don't work well with the xbox controller

If you have a wireless 360 controller than you need the little usb wireless receiver to make it work, a play 'n charge kit won't work. A wired controller will work without anything special though. In fact, amazon has a bundled controller and receiver, if that helps any.

for what its worth, i have been playing the game using a Logitech Rumblepad. and it works just fine, until the character sleeps. after that, all buttons on the controller fail to work, except the A/1 button which will trigger the sleep cycle as many times as i want, in a row. whether the character is tired or not.

if it helps, let me know and i'll send you a copy of a savegame after a sleep cycle so you can see if anything in the game helps figure this out.