Build 41 - Released!

nasKo

image-2-1.png

It felt like the day would never come, but we’re really happy and proud to announce that Build 41 has been released to stable!

If you’ve been out of the loop on the beta, a good place to start would be our new trailer to celebrate the release and show those new to Zomboid what’s in store for them:

This build marks a huge step for us, the graphics, gameplay, audio and netcode being significantly remastered and radically improved, Build 41 feels more a sequel than a patch update. As well as a huge map update, new mechanics and systems, its by far our biggest update yet.

Under normal circumstances, we may have done a little more polish and fixing before releasing to stable, but the truth is next to no one are playing Build 40 now, apart from those that didn’t know of the beta branch. It’s presence if anything has been damaging to Project Zomboid’s first impressions and we were only waiting for multiplayer to drop in a somewhat stable fashion to allow us to move on, as we feel strongly that Build 41 even with the remaining bugs and issues that need weeding out, casts a far superior first impression for new players.

Build 40 will forever live on in a branch, access the beta branch “legacy40 – Classic Zomboid” at any point to continue playing, or if your specs aren’t capable of running build 41 comfortably.

So what’s new in this build?

• Massive animation and character overhaul, more immersive animations and smoother gameplay and combat, highly customizable character that shows clothing and equipment in the world. Visibly ripped and damaged clothing. Visible Backpacks and Bags.
  • In-game map system to allow the player to chart their exploration and find their way around the huge map.
  • New animations and new movement systems. Sneaking, sprinting, jogging, racking, reloading, climbing, fence-jumping, collapsing and much much more.
  • New multiplayer built from the ground up for smooth, immersive and low latency player and zombie movement.
  • New combat, new weapons, new difficulty balance.
  • New tutorial teaching you the very basics of the new movement and combat.
  • New character creation – many, many different new clothing options both on spawn and discoverable in the world as loot or on zombies.
  • New city to explore, the gargantuan Louisville, as well as many improvements across the entire map, including new buildings, decoration, and curved roads for easier driving.
  • New zombie behaviour: feasting on recent corpses, lolling against walls, falling over fences etc.
  • Blood and dirt system that progressively bloodies bodies and clothing of survivors and zombies
  • New injury system – movement and combat visibly hampered when injured. Lacerations now possible, an injury state that lies between bites and scratches.
  • Improved gunplay: green/red target outline while aiming, increased gun loot spawn.
  • Randomized environmental storytelling elements. Death Scenes, zombies discovered in the situations in which people died. Prayer meetings, sports-viewing parties, survivor zeds wearing backpacks etc, vehicle crashes and blockades.
  • Situational zombie type/clothing and inventories – cop zeds in police station, firemen zeds in burnt buildings, Chef zeds in restaurant kitchens, bride and groom zeds at a wedding ceremony in church etc.
  • Clothing protection: different clothing provides different levels of protection from zombie attacks.
  • New Sims-style cutaway vision system.
  • Vehicle handling improvements, resizing and appearance tweaks.
  • Updated, remastered and expanded Kentucky-themed soundtrack.
  • Complete soundscape overhaul – All new sounds, building a more immersive and compelling sonic landscape.
  • Items now have placeable 3D models in the world, for all your decorative needs.
  • New Gameplay Styles
    Apocalypse: Stealth focus. Short lifespan. Combat best avoided and picked selectively.
    Survivor: Powerful combat. Longer Lifespan. A challenging playstyle based on PZ’s previous Survival mode of Build 40.
    Builder: Construction, Exploration, and Farming focus. A more relaxed experience.
  • New Challenges
    Kingsmouth – A separate challenge map, Kingsmouth puts you on a paradise island vacation resort.
    Studio – Try to survive as the Knox Infection hits the dream factory. Some of these zombies are not like the others.
  • Entirely new foraging system.
  • New inventory slots – belts and holsters now give quick equip slots. Weapons can be attached to the character’s back.
  • New thermal / body temperature system.
  • New Tailoring system for clothing repairs.
  • New Fitness / Exercise system.
  • New emote system – Hold Q to bring up the Radial Menu for Emotes.
  • New water visuals – including visible flow direction.
  • New puddle system during heavy rain.
  • New fog visuals.
  • New levelling system.
  • New VHS, and CDs system.
  • Broken glass and related injuries.
  • 3D Store Mannequins – can be dressed however you like
  • Working washing machines and driers
  • Server-side saving: MP save system now in a server-side database. Offline SP-side, also means no more lost cars via irl power outages.
  • New radial menu for reloading firearms.
  • New game cursor
  • New loot balance and loot balance system: houses and stores now have loot in the containers you would expect from real life – and not in a jumble.
  • Isometric aiming cursor that shows where you’re aiming in iso space to aid in combat.
  • A gigantic list of fixes and QoL improvements.

Thank you

A huge thanks everyone for the wonderful experience we’ve had since releasing multiplayer, seeing such a wave of positivity has been wild and made this long journey for this build more than worth it! Seeing the player numbers dwarf our previous record has been crazy:

image-4.png

We’re over the moon over the success the multiplayer has seen and we vow to continue and expand on that.

We’re so proud of everyone on our team, we know we wouldn’t be here today if we didn’t have such dedicated devs working on all these features, often under intense external pressure, and the support team for helping us keep the sometimes chaotic wheels spinning. Every one of them is wonderful and deserving of all our thanks.

Finally, a huge specific thank you to General Arcade, in particular Yuri and Andrei who have put such amazing work into bringing a quality to Zomboid’s multiplayer we simply would never have (and indeed, hadn’t) achieved without them. They’ve put huge amounts of work into this, and we’re thankful to them for helping Zomboid multiplayer come to the vision we had for it.

That’s all for this update. See you all after the new year where we’ll talk about what comes next!

Omg, all that time waiting and it feels surreal now that it's here. Just in time for the holidays too.

Guys, go be with your families. When you come back, throw a party! From Baldspot to Louisville. Wow. Not much more now and PZ will be feature complete for the roadmap. That's mindboggling. It's actually within reach now.

Hi, long time no talk from my part,

Still playing the now "old" build of the game, my savefile wont load anymore with the release T_T

Is there a way to "migrate" my savefile to the new world version without destroying all my "stuff" ?

Or at least play the old version maybe ?

[edit: should have read the whole post first, i ll stick to the old legacy branch if my savefile cant be migrated]

Been on it for a pretty long time now, i ll be sad if it cant be done.

Edited by _susmab_

34 minutes ago, _susmab_ said:

Hi, long time no talk from my part,

Still playing the now "old" build of the game, my savefile wont load anymore with the release T_T

Is there a way to "migrate" my savefile to the new world version without destroying all my "stuff" ?

Or at least play the old version maybe ?

[edit: should have read the whole post first, i ll stick to the old legacy branch if my savefile cant be migrated]

Been on it for a pretty long time now, i ll be sad if it cant be done.

'Old' as in Build 40, then there's zero chance of converting anything. The groundwork that went into this update just doesn't allow it, not to mind that savefiles have been reduced in size drastically between IWBUMS builds so absolutely impossible.

So yeah you'll have to stick to the Legacy version. Pain, I'd just forget that save and move on personally, but Legacy is there for a reason. It makes me ill to look at Build 40 now. ;) 

1 hour ago, MadDan2013 said:

'Old' as in Build 40, then there's zero chance of converting anything. The groundwork that went into this update just doesn't allow it, not to mind that savefiles have been reduced in size drastically between IWBUMS builds so absolutely impossible.

So yeah you'll have to stick to the Legacy version. Pain, I'd just forget that save and move on personally, but Legacy is there for a reason. It makes me ill to look at Build 40 now. ;) 

I ve seen plenty of people playing this 'new' build since years now (mainly on youtube) but never felt the need to switch to it.

Ill give it a try at least, it does look better and more polished in every way possible.

Still a bit sad about my old save, will keep it and come back to it from time to time.

Anyway, as always keep up the good work guys, you rox.

Djbleqw.jpg

Reduced memory load in half! Guys, thank you very much!

Also removed the sound reverberation in the bathrooms! Thank you for hearing!
Is it possible to change the texture on the keys in the snow? In winter, all the scattered keys are immediately visible from a great distance.

You don't need to look for them, you can see them.

3uy6qoS.jpg

Edited by Nebula

Just now, MadDan2013 said:

That's fine, 30K others do, and give more valuable criticisms while they're at it.

valuable? you mean what you want to hear? ive never heard of dev teams who had their heads stuck so far up their asses when it comes to criticism its honestly laughable; but I mean hey, you do you.

Just now, ThatOneNihilist said:

valuable? you mean what you want to hear? ive never heard of dev teams who had their heads stuck so far up their asses when it comes to criticism its honestly laughable; but I mean hey, you do you.

And you do you, in your time away.

HALLELUJAH!!! I've been playing this game since 2015, I can recant tale after tale of my time in high school coming home and hopping on to play with the boys over a teamspeak call. This game has been my favorite game and proudly displayed on my Steam as such for years now, I remember the last megatest for build 40 and the big PVP royale we had and everything. This is unironically my dream game, and it's wonderful seeing it finally get the recognition it deserves after so many years of hard work. This game has been transformed over the last two years, and while a lot of naysayers said the update would never come, it is somehow here. Thank y'all for your hard work, and for giving me the game that I always wanted. I look forward to many more hundreds of hours of fun and years of enjoyment! THANK YOU!!!

Finally.

Please add a companion dog in the next 42 build for hunting and character support (as like "Chester" in "Don't Starve") so that the dog can be used as additional storage, to scout a situation, or as an aid to knock zombies off their feet. It's will add unbelievable emotions and new game-play in game.

32 minutes ago, Nazarito22 said:

Finally.

Please add a companion dog in the next 42 build for hunting and character support (as like "Chester" in "Don't Starve") so that the dog can be used as additional storage, to scout a situation, or as an aid to knock zombies off their feet. It's will add unbelievable emotions and new game-play in game.

This is purely speculation, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd think they'd add "recruitable" dogs with NPCs. I do agree though. Dogs would be awesome.

Cats would be cooler though.

22 hours ago, Nazarito22 said:

Finally.

They have added leashes and dog dishes and such a few updates back, so I would like to assume they'll have a purpose. And I think dog houses have been around for some time. I think the doghouse should also count as a tent, for the purposes of sleeping.