Destructible buildings, physics engine

TheBrainfart

I was thinking that it would be awesome if we could destroy walls that are already there, and if you destroy the proper supports the other floors come down. You might think this would be extremely overpowered, but not if it took days to do and brought every zombie in the neighborhood towards you. Or maybe you want to renovate your house, and in doing so you break the wall that's supporting the entire building, and it all comes crashing down (or at least part of it) on top of you. This could be used if a house that you don't quite like is blocking where you want yours to be. It could also be used to gather materials, break walls inside your house to make more room, and also to pave a path for an easy way around town. This would allow you to basically change the town to exactly how you want, depending on how much time you put into it.

I can't see how this would be implemented into vanilla, but I believe this was discussed before. You may destroy parts of a building to salvage some parts of materials, but to actually destroy a building? I think that's a different story.

Imagine being in your very own completly hand crafted house which, due to being made by hand everything is destructible. A horde breaks in and you can't hold the first story so you run up to the second only to have the zombies destroy the first story walls resulting in the collapse of your house and the death of you as you are A.impaled,  B.Crushed, or  C. Trapped as a horde eats away at you... seems cool to me :).

Imagine being in your very own completly hand crafted house which, due to being made by hand everything is destructible. A horde breaks in and you can't hold the first story so you run up to the second only to have the zombies destroy the first story walls resulting in the collapse of your house and the death of you as you are A.impaled,  B.Crushed, or  C. Trapped as a horde eats away at you... seems cool to me :).

That was the greatest part about X-Com: Apocalypse.

A heavily damaged building crushing your elite team of alien-smashers.

This is . . . sort of . . . planned. Self-built areas need supports. Walls are destructible. I'm not sure how far this is meant to go, though.

The graphics are sprite based, so objects don't have a backside. So a true physics engine would require a whole revamp of the graphics and game engine.

Basic destruction is planned.

A whole physics engine won't happen, however.

Maybe I should be more precise.

When saying physics engine I imagine something with somewhat correct physics. Think Source, CryEngine, etc. Not something basic as Minecraft.

That's jus tnot going to happen in PZ.

I hope that in some near release the sledgehammer will regain its ability to destroy any wall as it was before the map-streaming update.

For real physics, i don't think it would be easy to put into this game-design.

Too poor supported things in the air could just break down in a dustcloud and leave rubble on the ground which could be a container for lootable planks/bricks/metalpieces.

I'd quite like to see the XCOM style building collapse - I think it could be done in PZ, there's certainly plans for support requirement for building. Actual physics would be impossible - but there's a few tricks that could be thrown in to make it look like there is.