How to update your map mod to work with the new in-game map system

RingoD123

First off, make sure you are using the latest TileZed and WorldEd, found here:

https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/forum/64-mapping/

Now, In BuildingEd there is a new "Legend" feature that shows up on the right hand side underneath your list of buildings.

newtut1.jpg

For each of your buildings, select it in the list and then click on the Legend drop down and select the most appropriate option, this will make the building be coloured correctly when being displayed on the new in game mapping system.

If you're making changes to buildings already placed on your map then don't forget to "generate lots" again in WorldEd!

Next up, to get roads to be displayed on your map using the new in game mapping system you need to open your cell in WorldEd and draw a poly over your road with the new tools (the rectangle tool is the main one to use unless you have curved roads), then on the left of the window, in the "ingamemap" tab click on your new poly then click on the add button just below to open a key/value window, in key type "highway" and in value use either "primary", "secondary" or "tertiary" or "trail". You can then use the copy and paste buttons to the right of the "add" button to speed things up.

Once all roads have been added then go to world view and select all cells, then in the "ingamemap" option at the top of the screen select "generate building features", once done do the same for "genereate water features" and "generate tree features".

newtut2.jpg

The above pic shows a cell which has had it building, tree and water features generated as well as having the highways added using the new "ingamemap" poly tools.

Once all of these are done you can select the "Write features XML" option, select the same folder you export your map files to as these new xml and xml.bin files that are created will need to be put in the same folder as all of your bin and lotheader files.

As long as you inlcude your worldmap.xml and worldmap.xml.bin alongside your maps lotheader and bin files then your maps buildings and roads should be displayed using the new in game map system.

Here are a couple of in game examples of Bedford Falls using the above method and the new in game map system:

newtut3.jpg

newtut4.jpg

3 hours ago, ammopack said:

Vanilla roads will still show on the minimap over my custom map, not the big map, though. Any idea what that could be?

Do you mean Eris' mini map mod? You would need to contact Eris and ask him to support your map, it only works for mods he's made add-ons for.

10 minutes ago, RingoD123 said:

Do you mean Eris' mini map mod? You would need to contact Eris and ask him to support your map, it only works for mods he's made add-ons for.

Negative. There is a road going through my houses on the minimap. Just a bug?snip.PNG.b43143a20594a6fe6c7cf274def6a52d.PNG

19 minutes ago, wodobro said:

how do I do this for maps in the steam workshop. I am having trouble opening their workshop map files into worled and tilezed. I suspect because the file-format is different.

You dont, you can't edit other peoples map mods.

What exactly is the .bin file used for? The way I see it, all important data is in the .xml -- anything I'm missing here?

Thing is, I can pretty much write my own .xml file by hand, for any other terrain. But it's not really worth it, if the .bin is doing something important that can't be ignored.

On 1/3/2022 at 8:33 PM, Lexx2k said:

What exactly is the .bin file used for? The way I see it, all important data is in the .xml -- anything I'm missing here?

Thing is, I can pretty much write my own .xml file by hand, for any other terrain. But it's not really worth it, if the .bin is doing something important that can't be ignored.

Delete the .bin file as it doesn't seem to be essential and just use the .xml file. It worked for me and I managed to get Kingsmouth map joined with KY map.

unknown.png

Edited by Trifecta1337

That's what I thought. If the .bin is unimportant, someone could write a tool that lets you manually create the polygons on a 2d image of the cell (easy to export via CartoZed as example). It's tedious work, but not impossible. No need to have the original source map data.

• 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, Izzzy84 said:

This does not work for me.  I downloaded the newest version and I see none of these features.  No Legend in BuildingEd and no ingamemap tab in WorldEd.  What am I doing wrong?

The I guess you are not using the latest version, found here: 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/18/2021 at 7:23 PM, RingoD123 said:

First off, make sure you are using the latest TileZed and WorldEd, found here:

Now, In BuildingEd there is a new "Legend" feature that shows up on the right hand side underneath your list of buildings.

newtut1.jpg

For each of your buildings, select it in the list and then click on the Legend drop down and select the most appropriate option, this will make the building be coloured correctly when being displayed on the new in game mapping system.

If you're making changes to buildings already placed on your map then don't forget to "generate lots" again in WorldEd!

Next up, to get roads to be displayed on your map using the new in game mapping system you need to open your cell in WorldEd and draw a poly over your road with the new tools (the rectangle tool is the main one to use unless you have curved roads), then on the left of the window, in the "ingamemap" tab click on your new poly then click on the add button just below to open a key/value window, in key type "highway" and in value use either "primary", "secondary" or "tertiary" or "trail". You can then use the copy and paste buttons to the right of the "add" button to speed things up.

Once all roads have been added then go to world view and select all cells, then in the "ingamemap" option at the top of the screen select "generate building features", once done do the same for "genereate water features" and "generate tree features".

newtut2.jpg

The above pic shows a cell which has had it building, tree and water features generated as well as having the highways added using the new "ingamemap" poly tools.

Once all of these are done you can select the "Write features XML" option, select the same folder you export your map files to as these new xml and xml.bin files that are created will need to be put in the same folder as all of your bin and lotheader files.

As long as you inlcude your worldmap.xml and worldmap.xml.bin alongside your maps lotheader and bin files then your maps buildings and roads should be displayed using the new in game map system.

Here are a couple of in game examples of Bedford Falls using the above method and the new in game map system:

newtut3.jpg

newtut4.jpg

Hello!
Question: can I set the key and value for the building polygon myself, because it does not want to work through the BuildingEd Legend. And if I can, where can I see a complete list of all key and value for buildings?

18 hours ago, Nakvili said:

Hello!
Question: can I set the key and value for the building polygon myself, because it does not want to work through the BuildingEd Legend. And if I can, where can I see a complete list of all key and value for buildings?

Is the legend there in buildingEd? If not then you have an old version of the tools.

If it is there and you have set them correctly then you must use the "generate building features" tool after your lots have been generated.

You can always check the vanilla worldmap.xml file for all the keys and values used.

On 4/29/2022 at 3:45 PM, KeHToyKJIag4uK said:

Hi! What key and value stay for railroads?

hey,
you have to set it as follows

• Key: railway
  • Value: *

thanks goes to "Pertominus" on the discord, he figured it out.

Railway.PNG

Edited by Mayron

4 hours ago, RingoD123 said:

Is the legend there in buildingEd? If not then you have an old version of the tools.

If it is there and you have set them correctly then you must use the "generate building features" tool after your lots have been generated.

You can always check the vanilla worldmap.xml file for all the keys and values used.

I finally figured out how it works! RingoD123, thanks for the advice to look at the original worldmap.XML file.

In short, after you've created a building and given it a legend in buildingEd, you need to create an InGameMap poligon in WorldEd and give it: Key = "building", Value = "yes".

Screenshots for more detailed understanding.

P.s.: RingoD123, I don’t know which of you came up with this, but it’s brilliant and it makes the job 50 times easier! Thank you guys!

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

• 3 months later...
On 8/26/2022 at 4:52 AM, Nazarito22 said:

@RingoD123 What the difference between Point , Polygon and LineString ( not seen on map )  ?

Point = 0D  (e.g. SpawnPoints)

Line = 1D   (e.g. Nav zones used for zombie path finding)

Polygon = 2D  (e.g. rectangles, vertices)

Ideally, you should prefer several small rectangles to complex polygons, as this should usually be more performant.
Polygons, on the other hand, are useful for non-orthogonal areas (non-orthogonal roads, etc.)

Because of the worldmap.xml.bin file...

I haven't checked the source code, but I could imagine that the engine will check if there is a binary variant and if so, use that instead of the XML file, which is then only used as a fallback. At least that would make sense, since the XML files get pretty big quickly.

If it's not used, well... the only benefit of omitting the file would be some hard drive space saved. So I'd say better safe than sorry, since every bit of RAM counts for multiplayer servers.

Edited by stuck1a
typo

• 2 weeks later...

I followed the instrucitons and everything works fine. howevr whenever I load up WorldEd the InGamemap information is missing and I have to reload what i saved out last time? First few tiems I ende dup recreating all of my InGameMap features again before I realised what was happening. Shoudl WorldEd load the world map features in automatically? have i saved them in wrong placre for instance?

On 1/3/2023 at 7:26 PM, Aranon said:

I followed the instrucitons and everything works fine. howevr whenever I load up WorldEd the InGamemap information is missing and I have to reload what i saved out last time? First few tiems I ende dup recreating all of my InGameMap features again before I realised what was happening. Shoudl WorldEd load the world map features in automatically? have i saved them in wrong placre for instance?

No, WorldEd doesnt load in the data autmatically, you must load your already saved ingamemap data before changing/adding to it.

On 1/5/2023 at 4:33 PM, RingoD123 said:

No, WorldEd doesnt load in the data autmatically, you must load your already saved ingamemap data before changing/adding to it.

Thanks. Nice to know i'm not doing anything wrong. I just need to remeber to do this.

Edited by Aranon
Typo